Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Do MT elk PPs get refunded if you return a General Tag?

They just say over objective so they can sell 3 elk tags per person . And 11,000 mule b tags in eastern Montana

I have a question related to this. My hunting partner and I were originally planning to hunt the general tag in 2020 so bought a PP in 2019. Due to some disruptions, we were unable to go in 2020 so we elected to buy a second PP last fall thinking we'd hunt the general tag this year. With some recent good luck in the Arizona draw, it looks like Montana is going to have to be delayed again. I understand we will loose our current PP's by not applying this spring, but I'm curious if we can buy one this fall that will "stick". That way we could go into the draw next year with 1 point, potentially 2, if we decide to apply for the point when entering. Anybody on here know the answer?

I have a question related to this. My hunting partner and I were originally planning to hunt the general tag in 2020 so bought a PP in 2019. Due to some disruptions, we were unable to go in 2020 so we elected to buy a second PP last fall thinking we'd hunt the general tag this year. With some recent good luck in the Arizona draw, it looks like Montana is going to have to be delayed again. I understand we will loose our current PP's by not applying this spring, but I'm curious if we can buy one this fall that will "stick". That way we could go into the draw next year with 1 point, potentially 2, if we decide to apply for the point when entering. Anybody on here know the answer?
Your outta luck . This is year 3 . You will have 0 next year . Well 1 , you can buy one at time of app

Correct . You do not
Question, so if i dont draw my general, but i do pick up a “Released” tag(so yes, i draw a general tag)... and i return it post draw for my 80% refund.... do I obtain my pref pnts?

Question, so if i dont draw my general, but i do pick up a “Released” tag(so yes, i draw a general tag)... and i return it post draw for my 80% refund.... do I obtain my pref pnts?
I don’t believe so.

Gotta love Montana , gotta be successful in 2 drawings to get the tag you want . Trying to draw a LE permit is gonna be really tough now that general tags are hard to draw . Might only get entered for the LE every 2-3 years . Unbelievable
Just draw that elk tag in North Dakota that would be easier? Right?

Yeah this has quit the deal... sitting on points. My greedy ass keeps hunting the general tag. Which is a dumb move when i want to finally draw my LE i cant draw my general. Then if you draw a released tag your still screwed for your pref pnts.... in the same boat with my wife. She lost her pref pnts due to not hunting, blah blah... now she has a released general and wont be hunting it. So thats going back to FWP. Im sittin here with no elk tag for the year.. wiffed all other states..poor me. Ill prob just show up with beer and maybe Greenhorn will take me sheep hunting.

Yeah this has quit the deal... sitting on points. My greedy ass keeps hunting the general tag. Which is a dumb move when i want to finally draw my LE i cant draw my general. Then if you draw a released tag your still screwed for your pref pnts.... in the same boat with my wife. She lost her pref pnts due to not hunting, blah blah... now she has a released general and wont be hunting it. So thats going back to FWP. Im sittin here with no elk tag for the year.. wiffed all other states..poor me. Ill prob just show up with beer and maybe Greenhorn will take me sheep hunting.
And now throw in the new 637 bill pushed through gonna make it even harder. Thinking awful hard on burning mine on a bow permit next year and walking away.

If someone is trying to draw a LE Elk permit in MT, is unsuccessful in the Permit drawing and elects to return the general tag for a refund, do they get their preference points refunded as well? My assumption is no but would like to understand it better.

I'm trying to plan a hunt in a relatively easy to draw permit area now. I expect odds of drawing this tag to be 75%+ in 2022. It would suck to fail to draw the permit in 2022, lose 2 PP, and then have a real possibility of not even being entered into the LE permit drawing again until 2025 when I could be going into the draw with 3 PP. Typically this wouldn't matter because I'd be pumped to hunt the general tag like I have the last 6 seasons but in this particular case i'm trying to line something up on private land so predictability sure helps.
Confirming, you do not get your PP back

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back