Caribou Gear Tarp

Do MT elk PPs get refunded if you return a General Tag?

Wind Gypsy

If someone is trying to draw a LE Elk permit in MT, is unsuccessful in the Permit drawing and elects to return the general tag for a refund, do they get their preference points refunded as well? My assumption is no but would like to understand it better.

I'm trying to plan a hunt in a relatively easy to draw permit area now. I expect odds of drawing this tag to be 75%+ in 2022. It would suck to fail to draw the permit in 2022, lose 2 PP, and then have a real possibility of not even being entered into the LE permit drawing again until 2025 when I could be going into the draw with 3 PP. Typically this wouldn't matter because I'd be pumped to hunt the general tag like I have the last 6 seasons but in this particular case i'm trying to line something up on private land so predictability sure helps.

I don’t think you get a preference point back upon returning the general license.

2 pp is 100% draw and last year one pp was around 70% . Just FYI .
I’m pretty familiar with odds on the general tags. As they become less of a sure thing it will do some interesting things to drawing a LE Permit though. Makes bonus points much less desirable if they only get into the permit draw every 2, 3, or more years.

I’m pretty familiar with odds on the general tags. As they become less of a sure thing it will do some interesting things to drawing a LE Permit though. Makes bonus points much less desirable if they only get into the permit draw every 2, 3, or more years.
Totally disagree . It(for me atleast) makes bonus points for LE much more important

Totally disagree . It(for me atleast) makes bonus points for LE much more important

you’re right, I didn’t state that how I was thinking it. I meant to say it makes it less appealing to plan for a LE unit hunt because they are becoming even more unpredictable. Even then, that thought is mostly in light of my efforts to plan a private land LE Permit hunt. The public stuff is basically still the same as the long shot applications I scatter across the west every season.

Until the NR LE quotas are separate from the resident draw, the reduction in odds of NR combos will have zero impact on LE draw odds for NRs. Especially highly sought after rifle permits. Just too many residents in the pool for it to matter

Until the NR LE quotas are separate from the resident draw, the reduction in odds of NR combos will have zero impact on LE draw odds for NRs. Especially highly sought after rifle permits. Just too many residents in the pool for it to matter
Exactly - u just proved my point for me

Question to bounce off of this thread. If I am more interested in a general elk tag and not so much the LE permit, will I lose my points if my first selection is for a general unit only?

Preference points are only for General tag applications, Bonus points are only for Limited entry permit applications. If you get selected for a general tag, you lose your preference points.

There is an exception to this: some folks elect to turn in their general tag for a refund if they do not draw their desired LE permit. Those returned general tags then get distributed to applicants who failed in the general tag draw but still want a general tag. If you fail to draw a general tag in the PP or random draw but then are given a returned tag, you get to keep your preference points. I have benefitted from this, but it's stupid they allow it to happen.

Also, if you think you want to buy bonus or preference points and you are applying in the draw, you must buy them at the time of the draw. You can only buy points in the summer if you did not apply in the draw. I believe i've been able to buy a PP in the summer after an unsuccessful draw when I didn't purchase one with application but i wouldn't count on that.

MT's draw system is a convoluted mess.

With all the BS going on in MT I’m not sure why I would want to get points but I’m thinking about doing so my question is can you buy a preference and bonus in the summer I’m not applying for anything during the draw period. The website tells me that I can for preference point but is not clear to me on bonus point . Thanks

With all the BS going on in MT I’m not sure why I would want to get points but I’m thinking about doing so my question is can you buy a preference and bonus in the summer I’m not applying for anything during the draw period. The website tells me that I can for preference point but is not clear to me on bonus point . Thanks
You can buy both in summer if you don’t apply

Preference points are only for General tag applications, Bonus points are only for Limited entry permit applications. If you get selected for a general tag, you lose your preference points.

There is an exception to this: some folks elect to turn in their general tag for a refund if they do not draw their desired LE permit. Those returned general tags then get distributed to applicants who failed in the general tag draw but still want a general tag. If you fail to draw a general tag in the PP or random draw but then are given a returned tag, you get to keep your preference points. I have benefitted from this, but it's stupid they allow it to happen.

Also, if you think you want to buy bonus or preference points and you are applying in the draw, you must buy them at the time of the draw. You can only buy points in the summer if you did not apply in the draw. I believe i've been able to buy a PP in the summer after an unsuccessful draw when I didn't purchase one with application but i wouldn't count on that.

MT's draw system is a convoluted mess.
Thank you for the info, now it makes sense. This is my first time apllying in MT, it is different for sure!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back