Caribou Gear

Do-it-all freezer filling rifle

I was referring to the way these threads always go. If you don't shoot a .308, a 7-08 or a 6.5 of some variation, you are punishing yourself with unneccessary recoil. Same story every time. mtmuley
When folks specifically ask for low recoil I don’t think it is a sin to answer. I am similarly surprised that every time someone asks about a lowish recoil option folks start telling stories about how their 4 yr old niece and 87 yr old grandma shoot a 416 Rigby without any complaint. I am an a big guy with years of shooting under my belt and recoil isn’t a big deal for me, but I have seen it effect others ability and interest in shooting. It will be good some day when we can find a non-cartridge test of our manhood on these threads.

Not a test of manhood at all. mtmuley
Not saying you do this, but when others respond not with, "I weigh 170 lbs and the recoil doesn't bother me much you may find the same", but rather with, "my 8 year old daughter shoots a 300wm without a problem" it's absolutely is a shot at "manhhod".

When folks specifically ask for low recoil I don’t think it is a sin to answer. I am similarly surprised that every time someone asks about a lowish recoil option folks start telling stories about how their 4 yr old niece and 87 yr old grandma shoot a 416 Rigby without any complaint. I am an a big guy with years of shooting under my belt and recoil isn’t a big deal for me, but I have seen it effect others ability and interest in shooting. It will be good some day when we can find a non-cartridge test of our manhood on these threads.

These are great for introducing new or younger shooters without need for a whole new rifle, but if you are buying it for yourself, not sure why one wouldn't just buy a 7mm08 to start with rather than making a 30-06 shoot like a 7mm08?
Because not everyone wants a 7-08. Weird I know. mtmuley

Because not everyone wants a 7-08. Weird I know. mtmuley
I love that folk like different things - I have enough different rifles to fully qualify as a gun nut, to each their own, but if a new shooter wants a low recoil round it doesn't seem like selling them on a more powerful gun and then selling them harder to find low re-coil ammo is an ideal suggestion. Weird, I know.

I love that folk like different things - I have enough different rifles to fully qualify as a gun nut, to each their own, but if a new shooter wants a low recoil round it doesn't seem like selling them on a more powerful gun and then selling them harder to find low re-coil ammo is an ideal suggestion. Weird, I know.
You have no idea what any new shooter can tolerate as far as recoil. Not weird. I let my kids find out on their own. No internet experts needed. mtmuley

From the OP:
I'd like things on the lower side of recoil. My hope is that my boy (that shows up in February) will be able to use this rifle when it's his turn.

He doesn’t own a rifle currently and has no concept of felt recoil. The reduced recoil is for a kid who isn’t born yet. He has time to use it and if need be buy reduced loads to start a kid 10-12 years from now. Likely by then he will be purchasing a different rifle as a 13.5” LOP won’t fit your average 10-12 year old.

Going with one of the heavier options like a standard 700 or Howa is gonna make quite a difference too. A 30-06 in one of those vs a tikka in 7-08 probably won’t make much difference.

Hats off to the 0-6 for the all-around as well plus ease of obtaining factory ammo for a newbie...recoil is manageable for most folks but, as stated, can be fairly easily tamed as well.

I put the same pad on my ex's 7 mm and it didn't hit any harder than her .308

Good on you Cush....I would have taken the pad OFF my ex wife's if I had half the chance lol....or maybe swapped ends with it ;)

The OP seems to be talkin about me. A traditional bow hunter who kinda likes the flavor of wild game far better than the taste of tag soup. My solution for most of my life was my dad's old Rem. 722 in .300 sav. I've killed a lot of does, a few bucks, two bear and one cow elk with that little rifle. Not too much recoil but seems to do the job. Lately getting ammo can be a challenge and it is more expensive than makes sense but other than that not a bad choice. In my later years however I have fallen in love with my Hawkins smoke pole. Kind of the middle ground between the longbow and the .06

Back