Do-it-all freezer filling rifle

Well I've come to realize I'm a decent hunter, awkward/clumsy at stalks, and a pretty darn good shot with a bow. That has added up to one antelope over two seasons of hunting (two antelope tags, and two muley tags). In my defense, the first muley tag I got (last year) was in a pretty terrible leftover unit with historically poor success rates. While I'm piling on excuses, I had a rancher cancel on me with two days of paid access left for my antelope tag (public land for the CO OTC tags is really hard to find) and I'm pretty sure I would have punched that tag if I had a bit more time.

While I still want to go chasing after game with my bow (heck, I've even been bit by the trad bug, which further reduces my chances of bringing home meat), I want to pick up rifle hunting to hopefully snag a doe antelope, doe deer, or cow elk tag next year. I need an insurance policy to prevent looking at a sad, empty freezer like I am now.

As a brand new gun hunter looking for my first big game rifle, I have a few questions (some of these I'm afraid will open a can of worms):
1. Given that I want to chase after everything from doe antelope up to cow elk, what cartridge would you recommend? I don't plan on reloading, so I need something that has great factory ammo availability. If possible, I'd like things on the lower side of recoil. My hope is that my boy (that shows up in February) will be able to use this rifle when it's his turn.
2. I have a few buddies that gun hunt and swear by various brands religiously. It's almost as bad as the Hoyt vs. Bowtech vs. Matthews vs. PSE arguments I see at the bow shop. Are there any rifle brands/models that I should be looking at? I would like to spend less on the rifle than I would on a brand new flagship bow (not including the scope). Accuracy isn't a huge concern, since I've convinced myself that I can sneak into 200 yards no problem on most game. That last 160 though is a killer (ask me how I know).

Read these two threads and you should have what you need.

The original do all rifle for 200 yards is what ever brand you like in your hands and chambered in 30-06.
However, there was a Rem 700 Mountian rifle in 280 on here in the for sale section that is a heck of a rifle for a good Price. If I didn’t already have several rifles I would of bought it.

The calibers mentioned are solid for sure. I also love my Tikka 308 though. Tikka's are super accurate and durable from my experience, and the 308 with a muzzle break is so fun to shoot, low recoil and very accurate. Also bonus that its the same caliber as AR 10 if you have one or see one in your future. Also forgot to mention ammo is ubiquitous but that's also true of 30-06 and 270 for the most part.

Tikka T3X. .270 or .308.

Lots of options out there that will do what you're asking, but of all the guns I've used over the years, these are what I keep coming back to. I'm an easy sell for Remington 700's in the above mentioned cartridges too. In fact all my family's rifles are either T3X or a 700. I guess I also have an ancient Remington 600 in .243 my daughter uses.

Another vote for a 30-06. It was my first rifle when I moved to Colordao. I've killed doe antelope and deer and cow elk with it and I wouldn't be worried about shooting a moose with it. A 30-06 will kill anything in North America and there's plenty of factory ammo choices for them. I feel it's one of the best all around rounds ever made. And Carlos Hathcock killed a whole bunch of NVA with one. ;)

Gotta love the Tikka T3’s, well built and accurate. .308 or 270 is a good choice given your recoil wishes. My T3 is sub 1/2 min at 100 yards but its a 300 WinMag. Pretty much over kill for stuff smaller than elk but it is my elk gun! Not a believer in one and done. Fill the safe then buy another safe, rinse and repeat. You’ll get there.

I really like 30.06 as a general all around pretty much do everything with plenty of off the shelf ammo. That is if shelves have any ammo on them! 308, 270, 7mm08, 30.06 plenty of slightly used rifles out there just go get one.

Pick the rifle that fits you best. Stainless steel is a good investment no matter which brand you choose. I prefer the mainline models (10/110 vs Axis, 700 vs 783 or whatever cheap Remington is out there now), but the cheaper ones still work.

I’m a Tikka fan, but browning x bolts, Bergara B14s, Win M70s, and Savage 16s are all good rifles, among others. Once again, pick the one that fits you best.

No need for a magnum (sorry Mtn muley), 30-06, 308, 7-08, 270 win all ought to do great for you in relation to ammo cost/availability, manageable recoil, and sufficient power for all game listed on your list.

We're probably in the golden age of cheap rifles. All the rifles above are good enough at 200 yards. 7mm-08, 6.5 Bromoore, and 270 would all fit the bill.

Another vote for a 30-06. It was my first rifle when I moved to Colordao. I've killed doe antelope and deer and cow elk with it and I wouldn't be worried about shooting a moose with it. A 30-06 will kill anything in North America and there's plenty of factory ammo choices for them. I feel it's one of the best all around rounds ever made. And Carlos Hathcock killed a whole bunch of NVA with one. ;)
I’m sure Carlos Hathcock would be amused to see all the suggestions for calibers these days. The 06 has a proven track record in the field and in war and people just don’t get it. They have to complicate it more than necessary with the latest invention.

I’m sure Carlos Hathcock would be amused to see all the suggestions for calibers these days. The 06 has a proven track record in the field and in war and people just don’t get it. They have to complicate it more than necessary with the latest invention.
‘06 is a great cartridge but OP specifically asked for low end of recoil. 6.5cm, 7mm08 and .308win all meet that need better while being able to kill his listed animals at 200y. I don’t think any of those cartridges complicate anything.

If I had to go with one it’d be my 700 30-06, Vx3i 3-10, and 165 accubonds. I’d probably go up to 180 if you were chasing moose, but otherwise you should be good to go in the lower 48.

‘06 is a great cartridge but OP specifically asked for low end of recoil. 6.5cm, 7mm08 and .308win all meet that need better while being able to kill his listed animals at 200y. I don’t think any of those cartridges complicate anything.

Personally, I would lump .308 and 30-06 in the same category of recoil. The difference is negligible at best.

Personally, I would lump .308 and 30-06 in the same category of recoil. The difference is negligible at best.
My ex wife, who was a 5'7" 120 pound sissy, shot a .308 like it was nothing. She also shot my 30-06 just as easy when she bumped her scope. I also believe the difference in recoil isn't much. I think you can do a lot with a recoil pad. My .300 WM doesn't thump me as hard with a new limbsaver recoil pad as it did before. I put the same pad on my ex's 7 mm and it didn't hit any harder than her .308

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back