Caribou Gear Tarp

Do it all caliber and bullet weight

.300 weatherby, 180 grain hornady. But I'm a weatherby fan. Most modern rifles are kick arse. Usually if something is wrong, it's the indian not the arrow.

I think it was Elmer Keith that said that a .270 is "A damned adequate Coyote rifle".

EK didn't have the choices in controlled expansion bullets that we have today. I think his tune would have been much different if he were alive today.

As for my thoughts on the OP, anything from .243-.338 will "do it all"...including big bears, elk, moose, etc.

My brother is a one gun guy. He hunts everything with a .270win shooting 130grain accubonds that he loads himself. It is very capable.

EK didn't have the choices in controlled expansion bullets that we have today. I think his tune would have been much different if he were alive today.

As for my thoughts on the OP, anything from .243-.338 will "do it all"...including big bears, elk, moose, etc.

It is nice to see someone else who likes the .243 (6mm) up to the .338. Personally, I run a .264 with 153 grain "Match bullets" pushing around 2900 fps. Seems to get the job done for me just fine on anything from Oryx to rabbits. It is all about the shot placement, not the caliber.

There's a huge difference between a 280 and a 280AI. After telling someone you shoot a 280AI, you get to sniff and hitch yer pant's. Hard to do that after telling someone you shoot a plain vanilla 280!
What is so wrong with a little plain Vanilla? I own a .280 rem and don't mind that it is not a popular round. What will an 0-6 do that a .280 can't? Not far behind a 7 mag and an ai, the .280 Rem is a good cartridge, just bad marketing and idea to market it in a semi auto.

This subject gets hashed out monthly on HT. Muley can be a little sarcastic, but there is a large volume of documented opinions and argumentation just a search away.

Anyway, I'm kind of a fan of the many things that can be done with the .30 cal bullet. For cartridge, sign me up for the .308 win. You're talking "out to 600yds - the .308 is slowing down a good bit beyond 350yds, but my opinion is its a bad idea to try to shoot game at those distances anyway.

Opinions are like ass holes; everybody has one.

Put .270, .308, .30-06, .300 (all of em), 7mm (all of em), 6.5, .280 on piece of paper, hang them on the wall. Close your eyes, throw dart at wall. Whatever one you hit is your new caliber. :ROFLMAO:

Back