Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Do it all caliber and bullet weight

This was J.Y. Jones' answer. Over a couple of decades he hunted every legal species of North American big game animal, something over 30 species as I recall. I've got the book here at home. Quite an interesting read.

FAeM6Dfh.jpg

Jones used a simple Remington 700 30-06, with handloaded 165 grain Nosler Partitions. He switched to the 200 gr Nosler Partitions for the huge Alaskan brown bear, and I believe for something else as well.

Don't think he attempted any 500 - 600 yard shots. He just went about going after the various species one at a time. Sometimes he had to make several hunts to tag something. From reading his book, he has no regrets about choosing the 30-06 and 165's for the vast majority of his hunting.

This pleased me - because I'd settled on that combo long before learning of J.Y. Jones and his hunting.

Worth a thought. I don't think many of us can claim to have taken everything in North America.

Regards, Guy

Last edited:
Guy, loved that book as well as his

Another Rife Another Land

Panda Bear gave me a heads up on his book Impossible to Fail and it was also interesting. I also want to read the book he wrote taking on the non hunting establishment and their "mis use" of the Bible to advance their agenda

Back to Do it all caliber and bullet weight---my vote is the 300 H & H with a 180 gr,

But if using something a bit more current. My daughters 280 A.I. would not be a bad selection

The real world difference -- 200 fps and a whole lotta cool! ;)

According to my Hornady manual, no 280 AI data, the 7mm Rem Mag push's a 154 gr bullet only 100 fps faster than a standard 280 Rem. Is the 280 AI hotter than the 7mm Rem Mag?

According to my Hornady manual, no 280 AI data, the 7mm Rem Mag push's a 154 gr bullet only 100 fps faster than a standard 280 Rem. Is the 280 AI hotter than the 7mm Rem Mag?
From current Barnes load data:

.280Rem - 140gn TSX Fed 210 primers, 24" barrel, H4831SC Max 2,909fps

.280AI - 140gn TSX Fed 210 primers 24" barrel, H4831SC Max 3,113fps

7mmRemMag - 140gn TSX, Fed 215 primers, 24" barrel, H4831SC Max 3,107fps

This was J.Y. Young's answer. Over a couple of decades he hunted every legal species of North American big game animal, something over 30 species as I recall. I've got the book here at home. Quite an interesting read.

FAeM6Dfh.jpg

Young used a simple Remington 700 30-06, with handloaded 165 grain Nosler Partitions. He switched to the 200 gr Nosler Partitions for the huge Alaskan brown bear, and I believe for something else as well.

Don't think he attempted any 500 - 600 yard shots. He just went about going after the various species one at a time. Sometimes he had to make several hunts to tag something. From reading his book, he has no regrets about choosing the 30-06 and 165's for the vast majority of his hunting.

This pleased me - because I'd settled on that combo long before learning of J.Y. Young and his hunting.

Worth a thought. I don't think many of us can claim to have taken everything in North America.

Regards, Guy

His last name is Jones, not Young, if people are having trouble finding his books.

For someone who wants one rifle, 300winmag with 180gr long range copper bullets will do anything and everything to 600.

Bluffgruff - thanks for the correction. I dunno how I got his name wrong after wading through that huge book of his! :rolleyes:

Guy

From my experience of owning a couple 280s, a few 280 Ackleys and a couple 7mm Remington’s you are looking at 150-200fps difference between the 280 and 7mm Remington. The 280 Ackley shoots the gap in between

I went with a 6.5SAUM after talking it over with my gunsmith. I will be running a 135-150grain bullet 3000+fps in a lightweight package of hopefully under 8lbs.

I think maybe where a lot of people mess up on the one rifle one load idea is they get to much rifle. Without doubt the 300 mag can do it all but it recoil's a lot more than cartridge's like a 7mm-08!So they end up with a cartridge which is really more than needed for animals like antelope and deer so they feel they have enough for elk and of course the 500yds shot they will likely never get to do; they the price paid is recoil.Yea, don't feel it when shooting at game. But you dam* sure feel it practicing and that is where people learn to flinch.

I've had a good number of different cartridge's over the years and the best all around has been either my old 7x57 or 6.5x55. Today that would be the same or maybe the 7mm-08 or the 6.5mm Creedmoor. More than really needed for antelope and deer and maybe borderline for elk. But low recoil makes practice very bearable. In the end you hopefully shoot better, choose a good bullet and place the bullet properly.

This was J.Y. Jones' answer. Over a couple of decades he hunted every legal species of North American big game animal, something over 30 species as I recall. I've got the book here at home. Quite an interesting read.

FAeM6Dfh.jpg

Jones used a simple Remington 700 30-06, with handloaded 165 grain Nosler Partitions. He switched to the 200 gr Nosler Partitions for the huge Alaskan brown bear, and I believe for something else as well.

This pleased me - because I'd settled on that combo long before learning of J.Y. Young and his hunting.

Regards, Guy

Vote number 5 or 6 or whatever it is for the '06 with whatever brand of 165gr pill. I have killed a pile of whitetails and one antelope with those in a number of bullet choices and they always do well. I'll be experimenting with the 165gr AB soon as I would imagine it would be a great all around choice.

This topic always cracks me up. You can take 15 different rounds and all will perform more than adequately. That being said, I have always been a 7 mag fan. Good factory ammo, moderate recoil, and good performance on game at any range. I have gotten past that, though, for myself. I prefer short-action, moderate recoil, cheap reloading choices such as Creed, .260 and 7-08. You do not need a magnum to do the job, with all of the quality bullets, powder and factory ammo that is now available.

Another easy choice is a .270. I never had a use for one, until I got one in a trade recently. It shoots Hornady Whitetail ammo into very small groups. Lots of choices and no bad choice.

This topic always cracks me up. You can take 15 different rounds and all will perform more than adequately. That being said, I have always been a 7 mag fan. Good factory ammo, moderate recoil, and good performance on game at any range. I have gotten past that, though, for myself. I prefer short-action, moderate recoil, cheap reloading choices such as Creed, .260 and 7-08. You do not need a magnum to do the job, with all of the quality bullets, powder and factory ammo that is now available.

Another easy choice is a .270. I never had a use for one, until I got one in a trade recently. It shoots Hornady Whitetail ammo into very small groups. Lots of choices and no bad choice.
I think it was Elmer Keith that said that a .270 is "A damned adequate Coyote rifle".

Back