Do it all caliber and bullet weight

I was gonna say .22 mag...
Apparently from the previous thread, it makes a great mule deer round. They run about the same distance as if they would if they were hit with any high powered rifle. Why would you need anything else? ( not serious folks just in case someone gets their panties in a bunch)

260 rem using 129 gr sst does well for me. Havent shot an elk over 400 yds with it but it would do the job. I abosolutely love my Tikka T3X Hunter. Lightweight, smooth and more accurate than me right out of the box.

30-06 or .270. If you’re not a reloader you can find ammo anywhere. If you must have a magnum 7mm Rem or 300 Win. Again, ammo is everywhere.

300wsm and 165-168 gr bonded bullets. Antelope to cow bison for me and it just shoots great, Sako A7.

Just starting, find a rifle in a common caliber that you like and it fits you. Shoot it a lot. Decide you need more rifles. That’s how I did it.

There is no right answer to this question but there could be a few wrong answers. I have choices on different calibers I can carry for big game hunting. Bottom line I carry the one I have the most confidence in to do anything I need it to do. It is a 7mm Rem mag. I have used bullets from 140 to 160 grains. Depends on what I am doing and how tight a group I can get from any given load. For a one gun hunter tough to go wrong with either a 300 Win mag or a 7mm Remington mag. I know others like the short action calibers but for a "Do Everything" gun I prefer a little more energy.

If I needed the meat, I'd go out after dark with a 22LR and a flashlight and kill an elk with one shot! So I guess that put's everything between the 22 LR and the 505 Gibbs in play! :cool: I'm quite certain my 243 and 25-06 with proper bullet's properly placed would also work. But the reality is for me, if it's not a min of 6.5 and shooting a 140 gr min bullet, I wouldn't use it for elk. After that there can't be more than a couple hundred correct answer's! :)

7mm is a great choice!! If you are looking for a do-it-all setup I assume its going to be your firearm of choice for the foreseeable future. That said, I would suggest you take up reloading also. The 280AI (or regular 280 Rem) is a great cartridge shooting a 140-160 premium bullet for most of NA animals. Recoil is manageable and better than the 7mm RM and more powerful than the 7mm-08. A 6.5-284 Norma is a hard round to beat too.

There's a huge difference between a 280 and a 280AI. After telling someone you shoot a 280AI, you get to sniff and hitch yer pant's. Hard to do that after telling someone you shoot a plain vanilla 280!
The only huge difference is the pressures each are ran at. Run both equal pressures and there isn’t a huge difference

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back