Do I really need chains?

Ditto what some of the guys said, if you are just traveling don't worry it's not worth the chance. If you do go ahead and get a set get a cheaper cable set and would be sufficient for what you are doing. If you are planning some hunts in the high country investing in a set may not be a wate of money though.

Funny story, I forgot my chains when I went on my hunt this fall and stopped in a farm and fleet store where?.......yep Illinois where they are illegal. I thought the guy was joking with me when he said they were special order only.

One thing to remember, some roads, mostly off chutes and canyon passes often require you have chains or snow tires to drive on the road. These rules are usually in effect during that time of year and the roads can be perfectly dry and clear. Yet the local PO can target out of state plates and get that cheap 200 ticket because you didn't bring them.

With 4 wheel drive I've yet to encounter a highway situation where chains were needed. If it's bad enough to need chains I'd just hole up for the night.

Hunting roads are a different story though. Plenty of times chains have come in handy.

Yep. With your rig, if you need to chain up on an interstate, wait it out.

I can't believe you guys are telling Dave he needs chains to drive through Colorado to visit the Grand Canyon and Jackson Hole... Do you really think he'll have to chain up a 4wd with new tires on the highway?

Yeah, I carry chains, but only because I travel non-maintained roads when hunting.

I once spent 3 days in the north end of Yellowstone in late January shooting photos out of a rented exploder and never once needed chains. Well maybe a logging chain, but that's an entirely different story.

Thank you Mr. Ranger, I appreciated the help.

If the interstate is that bad, it's time to get off the road.

To clarify, my close call experience was on a small forest service road, not on the highway. I've driven a lot of highway miles in the winter without needing chains. A lot of those were with just a 2 wheel drive.

It all depends on your driving experience and ability to understand conditions. About 1/4" of freezing rain on an Interstate that has a little crown will increase the pucker factor exponentially.

I can't believe you guys are telling Dave he needs chains to drive through Colorado to visit the Grand Canyon and Jackson Hole... Do you really think he'll have to chain up a 4wd with new tires on the highway?

Yeah, I carry chains, but only because I travel non-maintained roads when hunting.

Kind of what I was thinking, but I don't live or travel through there. That was why I asked. I get quite a bit of snow here on occasion, ice now and then, and drive 55 miles to work every day with all of it. Been driving 4x4s for a long time. Used to go play in the mud all the time. Driving and recovery were all part of the game. I'm pretty sure I could handle just about anything, but not wanting to sound like a know-it-all I went with asking for advice. Got lots of it! Pretty sure most roads will be fine or promptly taken care of. If nothing else, my wife is always telling me to slow down, don't get so close to the edge, etc.!!!! Think I'll just skip the chains and use that money toward a motel room during the trip. I WILL be checking the weather report all the time to know what we'll be getting into! I can always hunker down or change routes if needed.

Kind of what I was thinking, but I don't live or travel through there. That was why I asked. I get quite a bit of snow here on occasion, ice now and then, and drive 55 miles to work every day with all of it. Been driving 4x4s for a long time. Used to go play in the mud all the time. Driving and recovery were all part of the game. I'm pretty sure I could handle just about anything, but not wanting to sound like a know-it-all I went with asking for advice. Got lots of it! Pretty sure most roads will be fine or promptly taken care of. If nothing else, my wife is always telling me to slow down, don't get so close to the edge, etc.!!!! Think I'll just skip the chains and use that money toward a motel room during the trip. I WILL be checking the weather report all the time to know what we'll be getting into! I can always hunker down or change routes if needed.

That sounds like a good plan. Snow tires are sufficient for almost anything you'll run across on a major road, and your experience plus 4wd puts you way over the top. I think your request brought out the inner mud-bogger in some here.

Your rig ends up off the road due to defensive driving to miss an animal or vehicle..........

A gentle slope may keep you from getting back on the road........

It is 15 degrees and it will be dark soon.........

No cell coverage........

A pair of chains........

PRICELESS

If you are talking about paved roads only they will close the passes on I-70 in Colorado long before chains would be required. Getting through miles of BLM road and trying to drive to Vail are much different problems

Just because the road is maintained, it does not mean they will clear off any pull offs. What if your vehicle gets hot heading up the pass or mother nature calls or you blow a tire? Most of the time the highway is fine but its the pull offs on a slope that get you. Buy the chains or cables! It's just good insurance. I have only needed chains twice and been in many hairy situations and never once thought, jeeze, these chains were a waste of money and space. I repeat, buy them and store them under your seat or in your tool box. Just because you don't need them now does not mean you won't in the future. There is a reason they put chain laws into affect! Safety!

Hey Dave - if you come to CO, just stop on by my house - I got a set for ya if you run 285 17's!
>>>>>Chains can get you unstuck real easy, they are a must have here if traveling off road. I lock up all 4.
notes:
Never had them on my truck on highways.
In 5 years - traffic here has turned to $hiat. Too many people, and to boot, idiots with bad / bald tires trying to drive here => making I70 to GJ is a flat mess. Let alone our little communities turned metropolis' in minutes. Folks stuck on flat ground causing accidents?? it happens.

So time it right for light travel conditions ( would be suggestion) ie go between 10pm and 3am :)
Great sunrise.
Call if ya want - deer and elk steaks in the freezer, and micors in the fridge man.
Have a great trip!

Hey Dave - if you come to CO, just stop on by my house - I got a set for ya if you run 285 17's!
>>>>>Chains can get you unstuck real easy, they are a must have here if traveling off road. I lock up all 4.
notes:
Never had them on my truck on highways.
In 5 years - traffic here has turned to $hiat. Too many people, and to boot, idiots with bad / bald tires trying to drive here => making I70 to GJ is a flat mess. Let alone our little communities turned metropolis' in minutes. Folks stuck on flat ground causing accidents?? it happens.

So time it right for light travel conditions ( would be suggestion) ie go between 10pm and 3am :)
Great sunrise.
Call if ya want - deer and elk steaks in the freezer, and micors in the fridge man.
Have a great trip!

Thanks for the offer! Still thinking about it and MIGHT buy a cheap(?) set before we go. Getting up to and out of Jackson is my biggest worry.

Going to be snoring during those times! Hate to miss the scenery, and the wife wants to see as much as she can her first time through. Planning on taking 80 out and haven't decided if we'll take 76 or 25 to Denver. Then 25 South to 40 in New Mexico and over to the Grand Canyon. Then we'll swing up to 15 North through Utah and head for Jackson. Will probably go through Idaho Falls to stay on the western side of the mountains as much as we can. Should be less snow that way. Then down to 80 and East for home. Should make for a nice "Western Swing".

Those steaks sure sound tempting but if things work as planned we'll be in your neck of the woods on Sunday morning sometime. I'm sure you'll have better things to do. We have a niece in Denver that we may stop to see, and we'll be hitting the Cabela's to add them to our list of "been theres". Wanting to make sure we get far enough each day to not have a huge drive the next to keep on schedule for Christmas. Weather and roads will tell the story there!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back