Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Do I have a bad scope or am I pulling?

image.jpg
Tried to adjust the trigger weight like Randy mentioned, but after getting to where the screw is supposed to be, there's a red "cap"- see picture, and no place to adjust anything.

Okay thanks Mthuntr. I'll test out a couple different boxes and see if they tighten up a bit. Will update on Sunday after some range time. For anyone else with an X-bolt .300 win mag, I was shooting the Federal vital shok trophy copper round in 180 grains. I know each gun is different, but wanted to share regardless.

I have a Browning x-bolt that really likes Barnes vortx 165 TTSX

View attachment 60625
Tried to adjust the trigger weight like Randy mentioned, but after getting to where the screw is supposed to be, there's a red "cap"- see picture, and no place to adjust anything.

Looks like an epoxy used to keep the screw from backing out. Use a dental pick or needle to remove the epoxy and adjust the trigger. Do an Internet search and you will likely find a video or two with a step-by-step tutorial.

That red paint I believe is over your trigger weight set screw. Looks like you still have it set at the factory setting. Scratch off that red paint and you should see a small screw you can fit an allen wrench into. I just went ahead and took mine out, as I wanted the lowest setting possible.

That red paint I believe is over your trigger weight set screw. Looks like you still have it set at the factory setting. Scratch off that red paint and you should see a small screw you can fit an allen wrench into. I just went ahead and took mine out, as I wanted the lowest setting possible.

Yup. I fully removed it on the ones sent to me. I ended up at 3.23 and 3.25#. I am sure doing so voids any warranty or claims if you are injured.

I am sure doing so voids any warranty or claims if you are injured.
That is correct, that is the reason they put it there, they set the trigger pull so heavy so as to avoid any claims for accidents, so you can actually pull gun off target as it's so heavy, it didn't take me long to adjust it right down, then you have a really nice trigger, all part of the world we live in these days i'm afraid.
Just scratch it off and adjust.

Cheers

Richard

Yep, I just removed the epoxy and could adjust the trigger pull. I don't have a torque wrench. Do I need one to properly secure the action bolts back in place or will a simple Allen wrench be fine? I know the torque on the bolts has some play on accuracy of the rifle as mentioned previously in this post.

Yep, I just removed the epoxy and could adjust the trigger pull. I don't have a torque wrench. Do I need one to properly secure the action bolts back in place or will a simple Allen wrench be fine? I know the torque on the bolts has some play on accuracy of the rifle as mentioned previously in this post.

Should have been more specific. Should I get a torque wrench to get the action bolts in the best setting, or can I use an allen wrench to get the bolts snug (as Browning says) and then play with it from there while shooting? Browning X-Bolt manual does not have any torque settings listed, which makes me think I can just tinker with them using an allen wrench.

Just got back from the range (only had access to 100 yards today). I tried 2 different boxes of bullets, both 180 Grain; Hornady GMX and Federal Trophy Bonded Tip. Top 3 holes were the first three shots fired with GMX. Made an elevation adjustment (6 clicks), waited about 8 minutes and shot the next 3 shots of GMX. Again, I want my shots about 1.5" high at 100 yards. Let the barrel cool down for another 10 minutes then shot the Trophy Bonded Tip. I wanted my last shot to be at a new target without any holes, so I aimed for the bottom right square. I'm pretty happy with these groupings compared to the previous range time. Question is, which ammo would you shoot? GMX or Trophy Bonded?

100 Yard Range- 2 bullets.jpg

Have you confirmed all your scope base and ring screws are tight? If you have one available, I'd also consider trying a different scope as I get the feeling that something is moving that shouldn't be. I'd also refrain from making any scope adjustments until you find a load your rifle likes.

I would recommend having someone else, who you know is a good shot, shoot your rifle a few times. This will help to determine if it's you or the rifle. I've never shot a X-bolt, but I think you should be able to get much better groups than you have. If a friend gets the same grouping, I would try throwing on a different scope if you have one available as another step. If your still getting the same results, keep looking for other bullets.

I personally have had great success with Hornady SSTs, just keep in mind they are a rapid expansion bullet and if your shot is off the mark you will likely destroy alot of meat with them. I just switched to Nosler Accubonds and they shoot great. Should know in another few months how they do on critters.

I wouldn't be happy with that. Looks like you're getting two shots close together and then a flyer an inch to two inches away. I would continue trying different ammo until I could find something that would shoot more consistently.

I wouldn't be happy with that. Looks like you're getting two shots close together and then a flyer an inch to two inches away. I would continue trying different ammo until I could find something that would shoot more consistently.
The 2 together and a flyer makes me think something is loose somewhere or the barrel/action is in contact/stressed somewhere in the stock.

The 2 together and a flyer makes me think something is loose somewhere or the barrel/action is in contact/stressed somewhere in the stock.

I'm definitely not happy with it, but I was happier with it than the first grouping I got out of the gun. I went and looked at my scope mounts last night and the screws holding the mounts together are not evenly spaced (not sure if that would have a major effect on accuracy?). My windage screw also seems to have a very slight cant on the mount; maybe I need to adjust the windage screws to get the rear mount straight? Hopefully this isn't putting too much stress on my scope either. I am going to shoot one more time and if I'm getting the same results, I'm going to take it to a gunsmith to have them look everything over.

Just got my gun back from the gunsmith. Turns out I have a bad scope. I'll be taking it back tomorrow and hopefully they will replace it so I can get on the bench this weekend to start the process over.

Hopefully the new scope will fix the problem. Those previous results would be a confidence killer for sure. If for some reason the group doesn't tighten up, take a friend with you to the range and have them load each bullet into your chamber, but also hand you the rifle with the chamber empty without you knowing which. When you touch the trigger without a live round, you'll know if you're pulling or not. That has helped me with my shooting anyway.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
240shooter
Back