Caribou Gear

Do all rifle/load ?'s

mnbearbaiter

I currently am awaiting delivery of a Kimber Montana in 300WSM. The gun will be topped with a 3-9x33 Leupold Ultalight scope with Leupold mounting accessories. I have future hunts planned from deer-moose, and am wanting to find a factory loading thatll handle all of this. Im leaning towards the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip in 180gr provided it shoots lights out in my Kimber. For years ive catered my ammo to the game im hunting, and i ended up with many half full boxes of ammo in other various calibers that ive since parted with in lieu of the 300WSM.

I love my Kimber 8400 Montana 300 WSM. It shoots under an inch with handloaded Barnes 180
tsx and also 130TTSX. Sweet to carry in your hand all day, though I do find having to switch hands because the one holding the rifle gets hot from the stock. I did install a Sims vibration damper on the barrel and you can move it back and forth to tighten the groups.

I had some real good luck with Barnes Vor-tx ammo. 165gr bullet was very accurate out of my Winchester. The 165gr bullet may be bit light for moose but it would be worth a shot to see how it works in your gun.

I currently am awaiting delivery of a Kimber Montana in 300WSM. The gun will be topped with a 3-9x33 Leupold Ultalight scope with Leupold mounting accessories. I have future hunts planned from deer-moose, and am wanting to find a factory loading thatll handle all of this. Im leaning towards the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip in 180gr provided it shoots lights out in my Kimber. For years ive catered my ammo to the game im hunting, and i ended up with many half full boxes of ammo in other various calibers that ive since parted with in lieu of the 300WSM.

Hope your Kimber is better than mine or my friends.

Can't speak for factory, but my Montana does just fine with reloads. Few haters out there, but mine kills just fine. Maybe because it is a 7 and not a 300.;):D

I don't shoot a 30, but I think you made a great choice in caliber and ammo. If you are looking for a one-size-fits-all ammo, the premium bullet is the only way to go.

Your ammo should always handle the heaviest of the maybe's. Sounds like a great combo to me.

Yeah, i think i made a good choice. Im looking at alot of 165gr bullets and comparing them to 180gr and the 165gr tend to get the nod in velocity and foot lbs of energy at hunting ranges. Any insights?

The 165 and its initial speed is going to trump the 180, but the higher BC of the 180 will win out in terms of energy and speed in the long run. Not sure where it crosses the threshold but probably between 200-300yds.

Kinda my way of thinking also. The 180gr in a bonded bullet may not be ideal for deer as it tends to get full penetration and the "Experts" tend to say that a pass through is wasted energy, but many a whitetail has fallen to a Partition and the like.

Hope your Kimber is better than mine or my friends.

I've got a Kimber Montana in .308. 2 words...Great Gun! Shoot Accubonds and Barnes in it...all handloads. Don't get to hunt with it much because most of my tags are always filled after archery season though...but I can live with that! :D

Yeah, i think i made a good choice. Im looking at alot of 165gr bullets and comparing them to 180gr and the 165gr tend to get the nod in velocity and foot lbs of energy at hunting ranges. Any insights?

In the process of working up some 168 tipped triple shocks for a Sako 85 300WSM...will let you know. Using 180 tipped triples presently.

I bought the little lady a 300wsm a few years ago. She's only shot 180 Accobond through it. Probably the best shooting rifle in the closet... it. s taken a couple moose, grizz, few sheep. Complete pass through on all but a moose i shot last year at about 400 yards, and 2 of the 3 passed through him. Combined in all rifles im probably pushing 35 animals with Accubonds. Nothing to hate about them... i want a kimber in 308 or 7-08 for sheep hunting.

My insight is to ignore energy and focus on bullet construction and accuracy. Pick any of a plethora of premium bullets, find one that shoots satisfactorily, and then kill critters. My choice for a "do-all" setup would be either a Nosler Partition or Accubond. In either of these I doubt you would ever see a different result due to the 15gr of weight difference.

Especially with a premium bullet, the 165 will do everything the average guy needs, but there really is not that much difference in ballistics with the 180. For a one load only gun, I would have to give the thumbs up to the 180 in a 300.

My insight is to ignore energy and focus on bullet construction and accuracy. Pick any of a plethora of premium bullets, find one that shoots satisfactorily, and then kill critters. My choice for a "do-all" setup would be either a Nosler Partition or Accubond. In either of these I doubt you would ever see a different result due to the 15gr of weight difference.

...this.

I'm curious to see if 12gr impacts POI and velocity significantly...hoping I don't have to touch the scope turrets. Curiosity is sometimes inefficient.:eek:

...this.

I'm curious to see if 12gr impacts POI and velocity significantly...hoping I don't have to touch the scope turrets. Curiosity is sometimes inefficient.:eek:
Curiousity can definitely be inefficient, but fun! :D A good load book will give you ideas on the velo difference, but only you can define "significance". ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back