Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

DNA testing shed antler

redwoood

Has anyone ever had a shed antler DNA tested and compared to a deer that you harvested?

Seems kinda crazy I know...but I have what I suspect is a yearling shed off of the deer I killed last fall. The timeline works out and I found the shed on the same farm that I killed him on. Would love to know for sure.

If that's a two and a half year old buck you tagged, I would be surprised. I have to think you could find a DNA test for it somewhere. Maybe call MDC and see if they would tell you what labs test their evidence.

Try Therion International in Saratoga, NY 518-584-4300. They have done wildlife DNA work for me in the past.

If that's a two and a half year old buck you tagged, I would be surprised. I have to think you could find a DNA test for it somewhere. Maybe call MDC and see if they would tell you what labs test their evidence.
He was saying the shed was the yearling shed of the buck he killed. Didn’t say how old the buck he tagged was I don’t think.

I don’t know the time frame from shed to tagged deer but it’s got to be at least 4 years. that racks not from any 3 1/2 year old deer I’ve ever seen.
if you’re in that area every year or run cameras you would think you would have more history with him over the years.
any deer farms in the area?

I don’t know the time frame from shed to tagged deer but it’s got to be at least 4 years. that racks not from any 3 1/2 year old deer I’ve ever seen.
if you’re in that area every year or run cameras you would think you would have more history with him over the years.
any deer farms in the area?
No deer farms. Just amazing genetics. There have been 3- 194 inch plus deer killed(that I know of) within a 2 mile radius of the farm I killed him on in the last 5 years.

Last fall was the first season I had this farm to myself. He showed up in late August. Definitely a wild deer....there were several disappointed hunters when they heard he had been killed.

The deer pretty much winter on this farm every other year due to crop rotation. So I don't have his sheds from last year. Although my knees hurt from looking for them this year. Can't quit thinking about them potentially laying out there somewhere.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back