Caribou Gear Tarp

Diving back into archery!

Hammsolo

Recently I considered another rifle… I talked to my wife, and she asked why I wasn’t getting back into archery. My brows raised. I called Straight6 Archery in Missoula and we took a vacation to Lolo Hot Springs. After a couple of hours of shooting and working with Tanner here’s my new bow! Stoked to get back to archery and more adventures! Let’s do this knees!!!
7E4C0B75-6FE5-406D-9EA8-B8400335C058.jpeg

I think you’ll love it. I started bow hunting as a kid, went mainly to gun hunting to as we had our kids to save some time in the field. I’m back to mainly bow hunting now. I’ll still tote a rifle if it requires, but there’s something about bow hunting.

It’s gotten to the point I’m thinking about getting a recurve to try to shoot upland birds. The older I get it’s less about filling tags and getting limits as it is the challenge and overall experience.

I should add I’m a total gun nut and have several precision rifles to shoot long range with, way too many shotguns and pistols (according to my wife anyway) but when I hunt I like my bow.

Last edited:
How do you like that new Mathews? I've always shot Mathews. My current bow is about 10 years old.
I wish mine was 10 years old. Going to be 21 years old this fall. Owned it myself for 18 of those. Never had a single thing done to it except being restrung. Guess that's why real smart men shoot Matthews?

It’s gotten to the point I’m thinking about getting a recurve to try to shoot upland birds. The older I get it’s less about filling tags and getting limits as it is the challenge and overall experience.
I second that! I’ve got my bow out and dusted off this year. Practice everyday and I’m looking forward to bow season for the first time in many years. I’m also looking for used 30-30 rifles with iron sights for the rifle season. The older I get the harder I want the hunt to be , or more challenging I should say. Want to hunt squirrels and rabbits too…haven’t done that in decades.

I wish mine was 10 years old. Going to be 21 years old this fall. Owned it myself for 18 of those. Never had a single thing done to it except being restrung. Guess that's why real smart men shoot Matthews?
Love my Mathews. bought it used. I would love to get a Mathews Switchback. That was my dream bow when I started.

Yep, my old Z7 still gets it done. I just came across it’s twin on CL today. It’s only 15 miles from me and $400. I’m tempted to go buy it for a bwvkup

I second that! I’ve got my bow out and dusted off this year. Practice everyday and I’m looking forward to bow season for the first time in many years. I’m also looking for used 30-30 rifles with iron sights for the rifle season. The older I get the harder I want the hunt to be , or more challenging I should say. Want to hunt squirrels and rabbits too…haven’t done that in decades.
Miss my old Model 94 30-30. Sold it too the old man. Then he and my sister did some swapping at a lil gun store he worked at part time and got a pump action .22 for her. Those ol lever guns killed a lot of critters.

How do you like that new Mathews? I've always shot Mathews. My current bow is about 10 years old.

I LOVE it so far. The finish is ridiculous. It’s super fast, super quiet, and no hand shock. I’m not sure what I could even knock at this point. I went for this fancy new integrated system, and love it. The dovetail site fits perfect, the Matthew’s integrated quiver is super snug, and the QAD rest is even built to suit. It’s all expensive… I guess that is the one kick in the 🍆 , but I’ll shoot it for years and years.

Thinking about picking up a bow this off season. Need something with a lot of draw weight adjustability.

I loved the Hoyt too. It was smoother, but I actually like the locking in feel, and the firmer back wall. That’s how it felt to me anyway. The Matthew’s was equal in all other places, and was faster. I love speed! Both were great bows.

Loving my bow! I’ve been chasing turkeys and failing. I need to work on my shooting regiment. Suddenly shooting out of a blind off my butt… any tips?

Loving my bow! I’ve been chasing turkeys and failing. I need to work on my shooting regiment. Suddenly shooting out of a blind off my butt… any tips?
Take my advice for what it’s worth, I’m not a great bow shooter, but I shoot a lot and enjoy it. I have a specific series of steps I go through in my head when I practice. Grip, Draw, make sure the peep and the sight housing are lined up, check the bubble, I put my thumb on the back of my neck, then shoot.

Not saying these are the steps for you, but I do it every shot practicing and when it comes to making a shot it just becomes 2nd nature. I practice shooting off my knees quite a bit, I’m not sure it makes a lot of difference, it seems my steps are the same. When I have a flier I usually know the exact thing I did wrong.

I do sit on a stool or chair and practice too, just because I hunt white tails out if a treestand a lot and sometimes there’s no chance to stand and draw.

Shooting off a chair is difficult for me. I tend to sit up straight and make sure I'm using my back and keeping my legs at 90% so the form is better. I'd swear that you are using lower back muscles when standing that are not in play when sitting. Practice is important and the ability to figure out if you are using good form. Consistency.

Sportsmans Warehouse sells a 3 legged folding chair for about $20. It even has a small back rest. If you're average size, it should work to get you off the ground. As said before, practice shooting from a sitting position.

I’ve got one of them three legged chairs you can have if you ever roll through Missoula, @Hammsolo. It stresses me tendies a bit.

I usually just sit on and shoot from my knees on a z-pad in a blind, personally.

Back