Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Disclosing SSN to buy hunting and fishing licenses.

Even more BS is when some stalker files a FOIA with the F&G to find out what unit you hunted and the F&G hands out your SSN to that person. Think I'm making this up? Some of you live in small towns in remote areas and can't understand why others in other parts of the country worry more. Not everyone lives in Mayberry

Even more BS is when some stalker files a FOIA with the F&G to find out what unit you hunted and the F&G hands out your SSN to that person. Think I'm making this up? Some of you live in small towns in remote areas and can't understand why others in other parts of the country worry more. Not everyone lives in Mayberry
Even worse, there are cases where drivers license information including SSN was sold by local DMV offices.

It seems like there are an ever increasing number of "American citizens" who are feeling paranoid, embarrassed, ashamed, guilty, or otherwise fearful of someone realizing what their behavior looks like. If you have nothing to hide, why so fearful?
Hey I'll whip it out and show it to you, just stop
following me around! 💥

Care to enlighten us which states provide SSN with FOIA requests?

Care to enlighten us which states provide SSN with FOIA requests?
I am not going to, I would rather let the person who had this happen to them decide if they want to say anything or not. I rest my case with the F&G while they can ask if they want, and it is your decision to apply or not, it is still BS for them to ask your SSN for a damn hunting lic, or any other paperwork they may want from you because they cannot be trusted with it.

Last edited:

The only ssn inclusion I've heard of was thru the BLM.

Here are a a few cases where government entitles released SSN on FOIA requests and I only googled a few.

The only ssn inclusion I've heard of was thru the BLM.
I cannot say for sure if it was a BLM or F&G or both, or one used to access the other, but does it really matter for the sake of argument that too many entities are asking for information they should not be asking for because they can't be trusted to keep it safe? I have had a close friend have his identity stolen and found out he had a house and car in his name halfway across the country. The person that stole his identity was not even supposed to be in the country. It took him a lot of time and money to get a lot of things hashed out. It was crazy hearing him talk about how financial entities were not even interested in hearing his side of why he was not the person who owned these items. Crazy stuff. I have not paid for that Lifelock service but I sure do check my credit rating every couple months through my credit card provider after he got hacked. I would not wish what he had happen on anyone.

Last edited:
How many states ask for your SSN to get a license? Here in Oregon the only ID I have ever provided is last years hunting/fishing license and I didn't even have a SSN when I got my first license. Now the only thing I need to do for a license is remember my password.

I have bought licenses and tags in MT for 50 years and never provided a SS number.

It's been federal law since 2003:
FEDERAL LAW

There are a number of federal laws that require an individual to provide a SSN. The most similar law to CGS § 4a-78 is 42 USC § 666(a)(13), which lists several procedures every state must have to improve the effectiveness of child support enforcement. It requires that a SSN be provided on:

1. any application for a professional license, driver's license, occupational license, recreational license, or marriage license;

MT also has it on their website an SSN is required to buy a fishing/hunting license. Unsure why you would be an exception.

It's been federal law since 2003:
FEDERAL LAW

There are a number of federal laws that require an individual to provide a SSN. The most similar law to CGS § 4a-78 is 42 USC § 666(a)(13), which lists several procedures every state must have to improve the effectiveness of child support enforcement. It requires that a SSN be provided on:

1. any application for a professional license, driver's license, occupational license, recreational license, or marriage license;

MT also has it on their website an SSN is required to buy a fishing/hunting license. Unsure why you would be an exception.
Nope

MT DL number

Nope

MT DL number
Per MT website:
Go to site home page

FWP online licensing system on a mobile phone

Buy & ApplyCONSERVATION LICENSES​

• Resident Cost: $8
  • Youth 10-17 Resident Cost: $4
  • Senior 62+ Resident Cost: $4
  • Nonresident Cost: $10
A Conservation License is a prerequisite for all resident and nonresident licenses. It includes the State Lands Recreation Use Permit (for hunting, fishing and trapping). It also allows a resident or nonresident who is a Legion of Valor member, regardless of age, to fish.
Conservation License applicants are required to provide their social security number in addition to the information usually requested. A valid driver's license or a valid photo ID is required to purchase a license.

Here's the thing TT. You don't HAVE to give your SSN to anybody because you don't HAVE to buy a hunting license, it's a privilege to hunt in any state. If you want to hunt there you must agree to whatever rules and regulations THEY decide on.
So feel free not to give out your SSN.

Only partially true. Many states have written a "right to hunt and fish" into their state constitutions.

Note not fully complete. Here is MT State Law excerpt:
Montana Code Annotated 2021

TITLE 87. FISH AND WILDLIFE

CHAPTER 2. FISHING, HUNTING, AND TRAPPING LICENSES

Part 2. Wildlife Conservation License

Application -- Fee

87-2-202. (Temporary) Application -- fee. (1) Except as provided in 87-2-817(2), a wildlife conservation license must be sold upon written application. The application must contain the applicant's name, age, [last four digits of the applicant's social security number,] occupation, street address of permanent residence, mailing address, qualifying length of time as a resident in the state of Montana, and status as a citizen of the United States or as an alien and must be signed by the applicant. The applicant shall present a valid Montana driver's license, a Montana driver's examiner's identification card, a tribal identification card, or other identification specified by the department to substantiate the required information when applying for a wildlife conservation license. It is the applicant's burden to provide documentation establishing the applicant's identity and qualifications to purchase a wildlife conservation license or to receive a free wildlife conservation license pursuant to 87-2-817(2).

(2) Hunting, fishing, or trapping licenses issued in a form determined by the department must be recorded according to rules that the department may prescribe.

(3) (a) Resident wildlife conservation licenses may be purchased for a fee of $8, of which 25 cents is a search and rescue surcharge.

(b) Nonresident wildlife conservation licenses may be purchased for a fee of $10, of which 25 cents is a search and rescue surcharge.

[(4) The department shall keep the applicant's social security number confidential, except that the number may be provided to the department of public health and human services for use in administering Title IV-D of the Social Security Act.]

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back