PEAX Equipment

Dinner

Ben Lamb

Where to start?

217902_10151143899637480_135449784_n.jpg

Photo by Doug Smith

Helicopter. Doug Smith of one of YNP's lead wildlife biologists. Best. Job. Ever.

WOW! Great picture. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but is the Bear scavenging, do you think, or can a Grizz take down a 2000 pound Buffalo bull??

Grizz can take down a bison, but it's rare. There was a great series of photos of a Girzz chasing a cow bison down one of the roads in YNP as few years ago. The bison had busted through the crust somewhere in Geyser Basin and scalded the skin off of it's legs, chest and stomach. Grizz saw an opportunity, but didn't seal the deal. Rangers put down the bison later that day, IIRC.

I don't see a speck of blood. Looks like maybe that bison died of natural causes?

What you have to like about that pic is the Grizz could give a crap about the helicopter flying over its head!

Thats a great picture.

There are no bears, anywhere, with better hides than the lower-48 grizzlies.

I regret every single year I didnt hunt them when I could have.

Ben, Great story and pics. thanks.
Bison were in full rut last Suday when we drove through Haden valley. Getting laid can be dangerous, eh?

I think the season ran into the mid to late 80's... at least 85/86...???

That is a cool pic. Fat and Happy bear there... till a bigger one comes strolling along!

Caption.....

The last thing Unlucky Larry saw when he skydived and his parachute deployed just fine....

A super-sized meal for a super-sized bear. That bear looks on the large end of most grizzlies I have seen around here. I doubt he will starve this winter.

Back