Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

River Trip draws

Irrelevant

Well my entire group of friends have struck out so far, I think the only permits we put in for that are still to come are the Smith. Looks like we'll be resigned to self-issue ones. Anyone draw anything good?

Swing and a miss so far for me.

Bonus points available for the Smith this year for the first time. Was a bit shocked that the point was $5.

None. Id really love to win the Middle Fork one day.

I didnt even put in for the Smith this year. Its a nice enough river and float, but with the removal of the pit toilets at the campsites and added requirement to pack out all ones poo it has moved into the meh category for me. If someone invited me, Id probably say yes but in all honesty would rather do 2 nights on South Fork Snake thru the canyon, something I havent done in many years, because the solitude feels the same and the fishing is way better.

We're getting in the Klamath even if the dam removal has it looking like chocolate milk.

No permit there though.

what section do you float? I honestly had never heard of it before.

I've been applying for 15 years and never sniffed an opportunity to run it until now. Only know one other person that's done it. Plenty of YT vids of it, definitely drastically changes between water levels but it's a solid class 4 run through some crazy landscape with saguaro cactuses and stuff.

I didn't apply this year. Too many other competing trips. Snow pack on the Gila National Forest is looking like there'll be a spring float season on the Gila River. So I'll float the river through the Gila Wilderness. Good way to celebrate the centennial anniversary this year.

Nada. I’ve been fortunate to do a few great trips. I’ve got a couple more I wish someone in my group would pull

Explain this like I'm an idiot...

...you have to apply to go on water? Like...you can't just go on it? Why?

I've never heard or experienced that around the midwest, less I've been doing it wrong, kind of basically "if she'll float, aye aye captain"

Off to google I guess

Explain this like I'm an idiot...

...you have to apply to go on water? Like...you can't just go on it? Why?

I've never heard or experienced that around the midwest, less I've been doing it wrong, kind of basically "if she'll float, aye aye captain"

Off to google I guess
Because there are simply too many people who want to do it

Has anyone done the Selway river in August after the permit season? I found a few mentions of online. Looks like flows would rough but with a packraft + hiking could be a good trip.

Has anyone done the Selway river in August after the permit season? I found a few mentions of online. Looks like flows would rough but with a packraft + hiking could be a good trip.

I packrafted the Selway August 1st a few years ago. It was just under 1' at the Paradise gage. If you search for a thread called Selway Float there are some of my pics from that trip on there.

I packrafted the Selway August 1st a few years ago. It was just under 1' at the Paradise gage. If you search for a thread called Selway Float there are some of my pics from that trip on there.
That was my group on the thread last year. Theat’s trip looked like a blast too. As much fun as it was during permit season I’d love to do a packraft trip like that sometime.

Not sure what snowpack currently looks like in that specific area, but it could be the right year to run it before permit season.

I'm not sure if I want to bring this up or not, but has anyone heard about a few of the remaining self-issue permits going to reservations? I'm a little concerned about floating (HA!) this idea out there, because everyone else is going to have the same thoughts I have, which is, better "get" while you still can float these rivers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back