Diet and Nutrition

No processed foods, no liquid calories. Quality protein and heavy weight lifting are your friends. Eat bulking carbs such as rice and potatoes but take it easy on the flour based stuff. Fasting can be beneficial too.

Cardio is good for being in shape as far as lungs and heart, but won't really do much for weight loss. I wouldn't necessarily do what doctors tell you. They don't have much training in this field.

I've also reduced the variety of foods I eat, which seems to make things simpler and it makes it less likely for me to stray. I've found foods that make me feel good and stick with those. It is mostly animal based stuff. Lots of meat.

Congrats on your progress!

When I dropped a bunch of weight in a six months I was getting in an hour to and hour and half of pretty serious exercise daily for the first 3 months and then I started running almost daily mixed in with lifting etc. my diet was awful from a taste perspective. Basically either elk meat or chicken and veggies. No grain based carbs, no cheese and Almost no seasoning. In a way it sucked but dropping the weight was awesome and I’ve kept almost all of it off over 14 years

Something that works well, and is pretty easy to stick to is time restricted eating. Usually what i do is stop eating by 6 and then either skip breakfast, or just do a late morning meal in lieu of breakfast and lunch. I try to eat pretty healthy, but you can really eat within reason. i like this method because i can actually eat until Im full and still lose weight. I try to eat in a 7-8 hour window.

Sounds like great progress to date, nice job.

I’ve found success using a food tracking app (my fitness pal, carbon are 2 examples) but it needs to be everything you eat and preferably measured/weighed. Eye opening how much of my calories were coming from fat and carbs. Cutting out the extra butter, cheese on everything, heavy cream in coffee and snacks( chips, crackers) and beer

Then you will see what baseline diet it and will need to read up / learn and have an honest conversation in the mirror. And then lotsa trial and error. Or hire a nutritionist.
I committed last year to myself to make some serious lifestyle changes and get myself as healthy as I possibly can. My 5'8" frame was an obese 220 at the beginning of last year. I'm currently sitting at about 175, but I know I need to get down to probably around 160, as I still have a full+ handfull of fat I can grab around my mid section. I hit hit the gym everyday, and do a mix of cardio and weight training, and I also try to eat reasonably healthy. The issue I am having is I have seem to hit a wall and cannot get past the 175 mark. I know the change has to happen to my diet to see the next level of results.

I figured I would reach out here and see if people could maybe share what has worked for them. I tried keto, it really sucked. I guess try again. lol

I started 3.5 years ago doing 30 pushups each time before I took a shower. Things kept progressing and I cut out the alcohol and sugar. Upped the protein big time, cut the carbs. Now I work out 6 days a week, 45 minutes a day from home with dumbbells doing HIT workouts. Yoga 1 day a week.

Now my days
per workout - Pea protein , plain unflavored 25 grams
post workout - 8 Eggs 50 grams
Smoothie - 50 grams
lunch - Meat and Veggies - about 25 grams
Smoothie - 50 grams
Snack - almonds, cashews, sometimes I have a few carbs like peanut butter pretzels.
Dinner - Meat and vegetables - another 35 grams or so
Smoothie - 50 grams
If I am in gain mode I also eat a can of tuna before bed, seems to help me sleep. - 25 grams

When I started 3 years ago I was about 175, now up to 205 and by far the strongest of my life at 46. 6 ft tall.

Smoothie has soy milk unsweetened, almond milk, yogurt, hemp protein, beef collagen, fish collagen, beet powder, ashwagandha, niacin, glutamine, turmeric, flax, chia, fruit, kale, carrots.

If you don't want to get crazy with smoothies look for meal replacements from places like Kachava, Huel, etc. Just watch out for sugar, and all the fake sugar they hide in mixes like sucralose.

When I plateau I find a new person to watch on you tube.

Right now I am on Caroline Girvan. Last was Heather Roberson.

The Epic series is my favorite right now, about halfway through. These hit workouts keep things interesting, and they do a lot more legs than I used to do so that's nice to get the whole body going. Plus the scenery is nice.

Yeah, I feel like I have hit a wall here to. I can't seem to pack on any more muscle either. I really don't want to take protein supplements, or creatine.
Keep lifting heavy…. lots of benefits to creatine in moderation, collagen, and a protein heavy diet…. Check out dr. James dinicolantonio if your on insta or check out some of his publications. He’s been foundational for my fitness journey over the last year.

I’m glad I found this. I need to lose some serious weight. The hardest part, which I picked up a lot in this thread, is accountability. That’s my biggest problem. Sometimes I can’t promise myself to drive past the McDonalds because it’s so convenient. Doesn’t help when I drive a lot for my job. I need a damn dog shocker or something.

First, congratulations on the progress so far. 220 down to 175, that’s a hell of a feat!

I’m no one to tell you what will work, I’ve just started my nutrition improvement journey. Been trying to do the keto thing for about 2 weeks now. It’s a tough adjustment for sure! One other thing my doctor turned me on to that I wasn’t aware of is the hindrance seed oils are to weight loss. Keto is all about a high fat diet, but gotta be mindful of which ones. The idea seems to be that highly processed seed oils are high in free radicals, and make it harder to metabolize your body fat.

Unfortunately there’s not a robust body of research on this, so the literature about it is pretty limited, but here’s a site that condenses the ideas: https://drcate.com/the-hateful-eight-enemy-fats-that-destroy-your-health/.
Frankly, I’m still mildly skeptical, but figure it doesn’t do me any harm to bear it in mind all the same.

Seeds are a big category, corn is a seed, but so is flax. Much of the issues with seed out is how it is processed. Cold pressed is often key.

Focusing on the Omega 3 (linolenic) as opposed to omegas 6 (linoleic) are better for you. This is an excerpt from one of the nutrition tests we run on our patients that highlights the omega 3 and omega 6 cycles and the enzymes needed for processing.

Dont ask me too many details I'm already over my head in in 5 syllable words. In general Omega 3s over Omega 6.

Screenshot_20230225-171841.png

Screenshot_20230225-172912.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back