MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Diet and Nutrition

HighDesertSage

I committed last year to myself to make some serious lifestyle changes and get myself as healthy as I possibly can. My 5'8" frame was an obese 220 at the beginning of last year. I'm currently sitting at about 175, but I know I need to get down to probably around 160, as I still have a full+ handfull of fat I can grab around my mid section. I hit hit the gym everyday, and do a mix of cardio and weight training, and I also try to eat reasonably healthy. The issue I am having is I have seem to hit a wall and cannot get past the 175 mark. I know the change has to happen to my diet to see the next level of results.

I figured I would reach out here and see if people could maybe share what has worked for them. I tried keto, it really sucked. I guess try again. lol

Last edited:
We simply try to eat as many unprocessed foods as possible. Avoid sugars and refined carbohydrates.

Eat in moderation. Focus on lean meats, veggies, fruits, nuts, etc. I rarely consume dairy anymore except for hard cheeses.

Very limited sodas or alcohol.

maybe don't try "keto"

just try like a whole foods diet. paleo is a good starting point.

like j said, whole real meat, eggs, veggies, fruits, and nuts. eat when you're hungry, eat till your full. its okay to eat till your full if it's real, legitimate, whole foods.

processed carbs and sugar are literally and figuratively going to be the death of you. drop em.

they will kill any hope of losing more weight. alcohol wrecks it too.

175 might just be your magic number. I’m about the same height and for the life of me can’t get below 165. I can workout and eat properly and do all the right things but I carry a little more muscle than most folks do. Just genetics, I think. I wouldn’t stress it too much. Sounds like you’ve worked your tail off to get to a much healthier place. If you can trim it off that’s great, but I wouldn’t stress it too much.

Find an eating style that works for you. Diets are short term tools, you need a lifestyle you can live with. Keto works if you can tolerate it. Paleo works if you can tolerate it. Hell, I lost weight eating ice cream every night, but I was fat enough (and disciplined enough the rest of the day) to pull it off. Calorie trackers like Lose It can be very helpful if you're disciplined enough to weigh/measure your food.

I'll echo what others have said, which is that a natural food approach is probably the best health-wise. That's what I switched to this year. I eat no sugar, no artificial sweeteners, nor any processed grains. By eating meat, vegetables, fruits and nuts, I've been losing weight without having to track my dietary intake. There's a certain freedom to that.

Regardless what approach you take, know that eliminating something you're used to (sugar, alcohol, bread, etc.) is likely going to suck for a week or two as your body adjusts to the new "normal".

To Wild Bill's point, there is a theory that the body has a set point, which is where it likes to stay. Even though we can easily get over the set point, losing weight below it can be challenging. Might be worth looking into if your diet and exercise are on point but 175 is your sticking point. I would also suggest taking a look at reverse dieting as you near your goal weight.

160 sounds like it might be a little light for your frame. Going from 220 to 175 on a 5,8” frame is a lot of weight. Don’t worry too much about that scale number and focus more on staying healthy and feeling good. I’d say just keep eating fairly healthy with a mix of weights and cardio and not stress out about the scale or step on it regularly for that matter.

I’m not a good example as I’m not rocking a 6 pack (abs anyways) but I do eat food with ingredients I can read and understand! We don’t make to many meals from a box.

I went full on keto a few years ago, got down to my college wrestling weight of 174. I hit several walls like you speak of. Take a hard look at where you are getting extra calories. It could be pop, Gatorade, condiments, etc.
I also try to stay to the German purity rule! Water, barley malt, and hops!

The last 10% is the hardest. That's when you need to optimize your eating and exercising, but may need to take it a step further and figure out what barriers you might have. It could be hormones or food intolerances that won't let you get that last 10% no matter how well you are doing on your plate or in the gym.

You may also want to take a look at your body composition. Find someone in your area with an InBody570 and get an analysis done. It will help you determine what a right weight for you in and identify your body composition, muscle mass and body fat. It can track your changes to tell how you are really doing and whether you are gaining/losing muscle/fat.

160 sounds like it might be a little light for your frame. Going from 220 to 175 on a 5,8” frame is a lot of weight. Don’t worry too much about that scale number and focus more on staying healthy and feeling good. I’d say just keep eating fairly healthy with a mix of weights and cardio and not stress out about the scale or step on it regularly for that matter.
I hear ya, I was really fat though. I know I can get down more because when I was 26 I was at 165 and felt good.

The last 10% is the hardest. That's when you need to optimize your eating and exercising, but may need to take it a step further and figure out what barriers you might have. It could be hormones or food intolerances that won't let you get that last 10% no matter how well you are doing on your plate or in the gym.

You may also want to take a look at your body composition. Find someone in your area with an InBody570 and get an analysis done. It will help you determine what a right weight for you in and identify your body composition, muscle mass and body fat. It can track your changes to tell how you are really doing and whether you are gaining/losing muscle/fat.

I found one here in Cody, I'll call Monday.

Maybe shift more focus to building muscle and eating more protein versus shedding pounds. Cardio is great, but I definitely feel like weight training is underrated for sustained weight loss. As others have said that last 10% is the hardest. Just keep living in the work and you’ll land where you’re supposed to….. look for progress, not perfection!

Maybe shift more focus to building muscle and eating more protein versus shedding pounds. Cardio is great, but I definitely feel like weight training is underrated for sustained weight loss. As others have said that last 10% is the hardest. Just keep living in the work and you’ll land where you’re supposed to….. look for progress, not perfection!
Yeah, I feel like I have hit a wall here to. I can't seem to pack on any more muscle either. I really don't want to take protein supplements, or creatine.

This^^

I started working with a trainer a couple months ago and she uses one of these. I started with a goal of losing 20 pds, but have now switched to loosing around 10 pounds, but also adding about 20 pds of lean muscle mass.

So far I’m only down a couple pounds but have lost 6 pds of body fat and added 4 pds of lean muscle mass.

I’d highly recommend the scan, it’s helpful, but also good to have someone knowledgeable help you interpret the data.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back