Diet and Nutrition

Im a big guy who likes to eat. My job has down time, and time for scrapple, bacon, homefries, eggs, corned beef hash, etc breakfasts.
I'm 6'4", weighed in at 270 last week, as heavy as I've ever been. Would like to get back into the 230's.
Been watching the calories for one week, down 3 lbs so far. Hadn't jogged since October, did a 5k with the wife a couple weeks ago, trying to do 2-3 miles, 2-3 times per week.
Wish I would learn one of these years it's easier to maintain a healthy weight than working back to it.
Just sharing what worked for me, for what ever reason, I never lost weight doing just cardio. Only until I started lifting did they weight come off. YMMV.

I committed last year to myself to make some serious lifestyle changes and get myself as healthy as I possibly can. My 5'8" frame was an obese 220 at the beginning of last year. I'm currently sitting at about 175, but I know I need to get down to probably around 160, as I still have a full+ handfull of fat I can grab around my mid section. I hit hit the gym everyday, and do a mix of cardio and weight training, and I also try to eat reasonably healthy. The issue I am having is I have seem to hit a wall and cannot get past the 175 mark. I know the change has to happen to my diet to see the next level of results.

I figured I would reach out here and see if people could maybe share what has worked for them. I tried keto, it really sucked. I guess try again. lol
Clean meats

Cut out Sugar

Weightlifting

Stop looking at the scale

Tesamorelin (y)

Just sharing what worked for me, for what ever reason, I never lost weight doing just cardio. Only until I started lifting did they weight come off. YMMV.
I don’t think that that is an uncommon situation. Look up the docs who lift podcast. Spencer and his brother Karl are both doctors who believe in weightlifting to lose weight. I knew both of them 20 years ago in my wrestling days. Karl wrestled at Michigan state and Spencer at North Carolina.

I run in the morning before I eat anything. Only black coffee and water before.
I dropped 35 lbs a few years ago like this, I'm watching processed carbs and calories in beverages. Water, coffee and unsweetened iced tea with lemon.
2 meals today, breakfast and venison stuffed cabbage caserole with some eggplant for dinner.
Wife and I are working on it together.

Take in less calories than you burn. Cut all sugar and the fake sugar chemicals. Drink at least half your body weight in Oz. of water. Avoid processed foods and never eat anything cooked in seed oils. Research all you can about them. Start walking every day.get that body moving!

A little over 2 years ago I began a diet and exercise journey. At my worst I was 249 lbs on a 5-11 frame. From January 21 to January 2022 I lost down to 199. So 50 lbs and at my lowest I hit 189 so a total of 60 lbs. I have maintained a weight of about 196-198 for over a year. I lost the weight using a combination of carnivore diet and keto diet and I have maintained it by staying pretty close to those diets and eating what I want around holidays and cheating a little here and there and then going back strict for a few days. I also run almost daily and lift weights as a maintenance and conditioning routine. Lately I’m transitioning slowly into having my whole family eat higher quality foods, example buying better quality local milk, honey, eating wild game and buying better quality meats and eating less processed foods and almost eliminating anything with seed oils in it. There is a direct correlation between my physical and mental health and my diet these days no doubt and I have no plans of ever going back. I’m in maintenance mode for the rest of my life now that I got to my weight loss goal .

Had a blood pressure scare this week and went to the doc. Turns out my home monitor had gone TU. So I am not going to explode after all.

The exam turned into a "Come to Jesus" with the Dr about my weight. Their scale says 281# :censored: He was pushing me to go on a wellbutrin cocktail for weight loss. Not going there. I'm pretty sure his lab coat should have, "Sponsored by Pfizer and Bausch Health" on the back. I got his exam notes online a couple hours later. One sentence about my BP and three paragraphs about my weight. "Patient refused bariatric medications..."

I've wanted to get back to my 20 Y.O. weight for a long time. 6'2" 200# would be a dream 40+ years latter.

I've always responded well to high(er) protein, low(er) carbs. Maybe that's going to be the plan. Reading about Keto, but not ready to jump in. Watched a bunch of youtubes yesterday, but it felt like influencer central.

On the up side, if I lose 80# I can be an influencer myself....

I lost 40+ pounds on Nutrisystem in 2016. That system is all about portion control and calorie logging. (And buying their magic food, of course). It includes a lot of processed food if you use their products. MRS and I wanted to figure out how to just buy their contents locally, but fumbled. Gained it all back and then some.

I'm glad that @HighDesertSage is getting some results. If someone says they are getting results with what they are doing, STFU and stop telling them your IG or Youtube guru is the only way to go.

Right now, I'm trying to weed out the fringe bullshit on the diet bell curve and just get back in control nutritionally. This thread is just useless for that now, and it's not @HighDesertSage 's fault.

This thread has devolved into "My influencer is better than your influencer" bullshit. A lot of us seem to think we are nutritionists because we watched some youtubes and subscribed to some whack "expert". We make fun of the Liver King and Cam and then go all in on some Dr Billy Bob who says fruit will kill you. I wonder how many of these internet experts even have any real bona fides. There's a gal in our neighborhood who doesn't even have a GED, but calls herself a nutritionist. People actually follow her. But hey, she has a certificate from the Sandi Krakowski school of internet influencing.

Go back to the first paragraph, I went to an MD, and his answer was to use Big Pharma to lose weight. So now I'm left not trusting any "expert". There has to be a middle way that is just eating the right amounts of real foods and exercising.

Keep Hammerin' y'all.

Had a blood pressure scare this week and went to the doc. Turns out my home monitor had gone TU. So I am not going to explode after all.

The exam turned into a "Come to Jesus" with the Dr about my weight. Their scale says 281# :censored: He was pushing me to go on a wellbutrin cocktail for weight loss. Not going there. I'm pretty sure his lab coat should have, "Sponsored by Pfizer and Bausch Health" on the back. I got his exam notes online a couple hours later. One sentence about my BP and three paragraphs about my weight. "Patient refused bariatric medications..."

I've wanted to get back to my 20 Y.O. weight for a long time. 6'2" 200# would be a dream 40+ years latter.

I've always responded well to high(er) protein, low(er) carbs. Maybe that's going to be the plan. Reading about Keto, but not ready to jump in. Watched a bunch of youtubes yesterday, but it felt like influencer central.

On the up side, if I lose 80# I can be an influencer myself....

I lost 40+ pounds on Nutrisystem in 2016. That system is all about portion control and calorie logging. (And buying their magic food, of course). It includes a lot of processed food if you use their products. MRS and I wanted to figure out how to just buy their contents locally, but fumbled. Gained it all back and then some.

I'm glad that @HighDesertSage is getting some results. If someone says they are getting results with what they are doing, STFU and stop telling them your IG or Youtube guru is the only way to go.

Right now, I'm trying to weed out the fringe bullshit on the diet bell curve and just get back in control nutritionally. This thread is just useless for that now, and it's not @HighDesertSage 's fault.

This thread has devolved into "My influencer is better than your influencer" bullshit. A lot of us seem to think we are nutritionists because we watched some youtubes and subscribed to some whack "expert". We make fun of the Liver King and Cam and then go all in on some Dr Billy Bob who says fruit will kill you. I wonder how many of these internet experts even have any real bona fides. There's a gal in our neighborhood who doesn't even have a GED, but calls herself a nutritionist. People actually follow her. But hey, she has a certificate from the Sandi Krakowski school of internet influencing.

Go back to the first paragraph, I went to an MD, and his answer was to use Big Pharma to lose weight. So now I'm left not trusting any "expert". There has to be a middle way that is just eating the right amounts of real foods and exercising.

Keep Hammerin' y'all.

my influencer actually is better than your influencer, clearly.

I hit 235 last week - I am 6'2", but there is a very, very skinny person under that blubber - heredity says so, my grandfather was 6'2", 135# when he married my grandma. Should weigh 180 or less at my age (I carried 190 good when I was hauling bricks and mud, but that was a long time ago.

I went with GoLo, the tv-advertised program. I will give you the short of it - basically eating clean, portion control-based recipes, with only a few prohibitions (and they all make sense). Working for me, because I need a program and my wife likes the food so she's in, too. Costs some $, but basically you are buying their "pill", which is mostly a chromium supplement which helps with blood sugar. Other than the pill, no magic involved.

I have stubbornly fought for two years to get this damned weight off (I was almost 30# lighter after a few months working from home during Covid, I hiked 5-7 miles a day then), which has come from travel food and beer. Beer is done for now, if not forever, and the travel food will get to change drastically. The GoLo is helping, as it helps me focus.

Another motivation is my cardiologist wants to give me more Statin to lower my cholesterol - which is 125 right now. To avoid an argument, I told him to give me some time and let me lose some weight. If I do get to 180 or so, a couple of my meds might simply go away.

All in all, I have no choice if I want a chance of seeing my grandkids marry.

Plus, it'll help my stamina for hunting.

David
NM

I think the “calories in calories out” dogma isn’t as true as we once thought it was. Lots of research points to the detriment of highly processed foods. 1000 calories of Cheetos is far different than 1000 calories of balanced fruits, veggies and lean meats.

Like anything, lots of nuance. Not all sugars are created equal, it depends on the form they are in. Raw apples containing fructose are far different than high fructose corn syrup in your energy drink.

Not all proteins are equal. You have to look at limiting amino acids

Dietary fiber is another key.

My wife and I were talking about this yesterday. If you simply limit the processed foods you eat, it’s damned near impossible to eat a lot of simple sugars, gluten, and foods that really screw with your blood glucose regulation.

One things for sure you sure feel better without the processed stuff. I don't have time or patience to track it that closely. But the weeks I seem to consume more clean calories I defintely seem to shed more lbs Than the weeks with less calories that were garbage.

Question,which is better to run more miles at same speed I've been running it or same distance but faster? Loaded question I'm sure.

It uses less calories to run the same distance faster. Time is a part of the equation.
That said, running period is better than not. But if your pace has gotten better, you could always add some distance.
Weight plays a big part in calories per mile as well, so as you lose pounds, you are burning less calories per mile.
My wife gets a little irritated that I burn 2/3 more calories per mile than she does.

Running is really not healthy over the long term. Better to focus on weight lifting and high intensity interval training. But to specifically answer the question, I'd say shorter distances at a faster speed. But better yet, just go hiking in the mountains.

Question,which is better to run more miles at same speed I've been running it or same distance but faster? Loaded question I'm sure.
Depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. Do you want mega endurance, or more of a balance of strength and cardio?

Best bang for your buck would be trail running with a lot of hills. If you can’t do that, I’d alternate with long, slow runs, tempo runs and hill repeats.

Listen to your body. I don’t run near as much as I used to. I do hill workouts with a weighted pack instead. When I lift weight, it’s super short rest periods to achieve a lot of cardio work at the same time.

@JLS Phone update won't let me quote your post 😡. It's literally flat as a pancake around here. I try to do a little of everything last week for example something like this. Trying to lose weight and just get my lungs in better shape.

M-15 to 20 minutes of lifting, run a mile.

T-Bowflex trainer (elliptical with program of rest and short bursts)

W-Bowflex again, lift for 20 minutes or so.

T-Run another mile.

F- rest day then Saturday picks up where Monday left off again.

No idea what I'm doing really but it feels right amd I'm losing weight pretty good. Every two weeks I bump up how much I'm lifting, how fast I'm running or distance etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back