Yeti GOBOX Collection

Diet and Nutrition

I was hardcore Keto for a while, but I don't handle pork well, and I don't handle dairy at all. Felt terrible most of the time but I did lose some weight.

Eventually I just was sick of the restrictions. It became a bit of an obsession, often keeping carbs under 10g per day. Waking up thinking about what I was going to eat that wasn't going to ruin the rest of my day. Then thinking about lunch cleaning up from breakfast, eating lunch and being bummed I wouldn't be able to eat a big dinner of things I wanted. A frequent thought I had toward the end was, "boy I'd be pissed if the last meal I had was cauliflower rice and hamburger (or whatever nonsensical low carb meal I had)."

I like looking at all the ancient cultures and without getting too into the weeds about carbs vs. proteins vs. fats, just be mindful of it.

How can rice be "bad" if centuries of trim people have been using it as a staple in their diets?

How can fruit be "bad" if centuries of trim people have been eating it as a staple of their diets?

Someone above mentioned bananas (one of my favorites) and how "bad" they are ... where's the 300lb people in the uncontacted tribes in South America where they smash LOADS of bananas and other fruits every day?

My guess is I'm overweight not because I enjoy an apple or banana every day, and maybe a mandarin orange here and there, but because I also enjoy (and overindulge) days like today ... donut Sunday. Also taco Tuesday...Also McDonalds Monday.

Move more, eat less. Be kind. Shoot does.

Your fat@$$ is not a problem until I have to pack your game out for you...but even then I bet you got some good snacks in your bag so it's all good.

I was hardcore Keto for a while, but I don't handle pork well, and I don't handle dairy at all. Felt terrible most of the time but I did lose some weight.

Eventually I just was sick of the restrictions. It became a bit of an obsession, often keeping carbs under 10g per day. Waking up thinking about what I was going to eat that wasn't going to ruin the rest of my day. Then thinking about lunch cleaning up from breakfast, eating lunch and being bummed I wouldn't be able to eat a big dinner of things I wanted. A frequent thought I had toward the end was, "boy I'd be pissed if the last meal I had was cauliflower rice and hamburger (or whatever nonsensical low carb meal I had)."

I like looking at all the ancient cultures and without getting too into the weeds about carbs vs. proteins vs. fats, just be mindful of it.

How can rice be "bad" if centuries of trim people have been using it as a staple in their diets?

How can fruit be "bad" if centuries of trim people have been eating it as a staple of their diets?

Someone above mentioned bananas (one of my favorites) and how "bad" they are ... where's the 300lb people in the uncontacted tribes in South America where they smash LOADS of bananas and other fruits every day?

My guess is I'm overweight not because I enjoy an apple or banana every day, and maybe a mandarin orange here and there, but because I also enjoy (and overindulge) days like today ... donut Sunday. Also taco Tuesday...Also McDonalds Monday.

Move more, eat less. Be kind. Shoot does.

Your fat@$$ is not a problem until I have to pack your game out for you...but even then I bet you got some good snacks in your bag so it's all good.

I used to kinda think carbs had no place in the diet. Then you remember that Asian cultures historically with very high measures of health, pretty much have just eaten boat loads of white rice and fish throughout history.

The most unique thing about the western diet is not red meat, it’s processed food. Processed enriched unfermented breads, hormone enriched meats, processed grain foods saturated in processed oils enhanced with sugars and enriched with synthetic nutrients. When you eat a meal at McDonald’s probably less then 20-30% of the meal is even red meat, it’s enriched sugary white bread, processed potatoes fried in processed oils dipped in sugary ketchup, chicken that’s like 30% processed flour breaded and fried in processed oil dipped in processed oily or sugary dips.

Just eat real food. Pretty simple.

if you exercise a lot you better being getting glucose from somewhere… because even the best “fat adapted” (buzzword) can only burn fat as a fuel source for so long. It’s not as efficient. Pretty soon muscle and fat are being used as fuel sources (bad) and once you eat again, body stores most calories as fat to protect itself. All of the above statement assumes long term application. I’m not saying if you do one workout fasted that you see screwed.

Also I’d be wary of talking about evolutionarily developed diets where a certain subject of people have a diet that over a ton of time has been adapted because of their surroundings. Their physiology would be different than say an Americans. Just look at heart disease rates in Asia over the last 20 years or so as they suddenly interjected more meats into their historically non meat heavy diets.

Your body makes glucose.

If you faithfully follow Weight Watchers, you’ll loose 2 pounds a week for a long time eating as much fruits and vegetables as you want.

For the majority of people, the reason for weight gain is elsewhere.

Calories in vs calories out. Like others have mentioned id stay away from processed food, alcohol is a big one too. Not that its bad but slows the process. Continue to add muscle and lose fat. The number on the scale doesn't matter for the most part. stay in a calorie deficit and you should continue to lose weight. If you eat too little your metabolism may slow down. talk to an expert on what your maintenance calories are and go from there.

I committed last year to myself to make some serious lifestyle changes and get myself as healthy as I possibly can. My 5'8" frame was an obese 220 at the beginning of last year. I'm currently sitting at about 175, but I know I need to get down to probably around 160, as I still have a full+ handfull of fat I can grab around my mid section. I hit hit the gym everyday, and do a mix of cardio and weight training, and I also try to eat reasonably healthy. The issue I am having is I have seem to hit a wall and cannot get past the 175 mark. I know the change has to happen to my diet to see the next level of results.

I figured I would reach out here and see if people could maybe share what has worked for them. I tried keto, it really sucked. I guess try again. lol
Nice work! It is entirely possible that you will never lose that last 10-15 lbs regardless of what you do. Particularly depending on your age. Strongly suggest you focus on how you feel, working out and eating healthy. With what you have already accomplished the number on the scale is probably the least important.

However, if your are really hung up on the last 10 lbs I might suggest an extended fast (3 days) or One Meal a Day. By changing your diet and workout routine, you disrupted your bodies expected metabolic rate and therefore you lost weight. Probably started out loosing a bunch real fast, then hit a few plateaus, eventually broke through those, then weight lose slowly tapered off to the point where change stopped all together. A significant disruption in how much and timing of food intake can trigger another change and possibly additional weight loss. Could also do nothing. There are no absolutes.

A change like this can also be useful in strength training. When I was younger and building muscle, one technique we used to break plateaus was to entirely change from a high weight, low rep pyramid lifting plan to a low weight high rep plan. Like just bench the bar for 100 reps. Do this when the gym is empty, folks wont believe you when you tell them you are on rep 95 after they see you struggling to bench a 45 lb bar.

None of my advice is from any formal training or education, just from a former OL who ballooned to 280 lbs after college and managed to loose 100 lbs. in a year by doing some of these things. Caveat, age played a huge roll in that lose. I doubt I would be as successful at age 50 or would it have happened so quickly.

I have drank a 6 pack of Stone Fear.Movie.Lions in one night. 335 calories x 6 = 2,010 calories. No wonder I skipped dinner as well.

I committed last year to myself to make some serious lifestyle changes and get myself as healthy as I possibly can. My 5'8" frame was an obese 220 at the beginning of last year. I'm currently sitting at about 175, but I know I need to get down to probably around 160, as I still have a full+ handfull of fat I can grab around my mid section. I hit hit the gym everyday, and do a mix of cardio and weight training, and I also try to eat reasonably healthy. The issue I am having is I have seem to hit a wall and cannot get past the 175 mark. I know the change has to happen to my diet to see the next level of results.

I figured I would reach out here and see if people could maybe share what has worked for them. I tried keto, it really sucked. I guess try again. lol
I'm right where you were at except 5'9" and 235 Been working on the old body for years in the guy and then out. Diet is all good, well 75% of the time anyway. Been back in the guys for a could months now and dropped 15, starting to get flexibility back. I'm sure 7-8 weeks turkey hunting will take a few more pounds off.

You likely cut calories and slowed your metabolism to the point where it is going to be extremely difficult to lose any more weight. The thing you need to do now is to build yourself back up metabolically so you are burning more calories at the lower BW. For example, if you ate 1700 calories a day to get down to 175 from 220, it would be really difficult to eat 1700 calories for the rest of your life, that is why people blow up and go back to or above their previous weight. You need to research "Reverse Dieting" from people like Layne Norton (he's a PhD, but there are many others) who do this consistently with body building competitors, they will explain it much better than I can. Good luck, you now entered the hard part of weight loss....keeping it off.

The carnivore diet might be up your alley and nsng.

Lean meat is not the best, fatty cuts like ribeye, bacon, etc are the best.

Animal based “fat” does not make you “fat”. Go wild on heavy cream, butter, and fat on steaks.
I did this and lost weight! Then went to the doctor for my annual physical and my bad cholesterol skyrocketed! No bueno.

Try healthier fats like almonds, avocados and olive oil.

I used to kinda think carbs had no place in the diet. Then you remember that Asian cultures historically with very high measures of health, pretty much have just eaten boat loads of white rice and fish throughout history.

The most unique thing about the western diet is not red meat, it’s processed food. Processed enriched unfermented breads, hormone enriched meats, processed grain foods saturated in processed oils enhanced with sugars and enriched with synthetic nutrients. When you eat a meal at McDonald’s probably less then 20-30% of the meal is even red meat, it’s enriched sugary white bread, processed potatoes fried in processed oils dipped in sugary ketchup, chicken that’s like 30% processed flour breaded and fried in processed oil dipped in processed oily or sugary dips.

Just eat real food. Pretty simple.
It’s also the GMO’s now.

Curious - by a show of likes - how many people track calories? Used to do this during my hockey days and could dial in my weight with crazy precision… but im curious how many adults are going that route
I’ve been tracking mine. A dietician my wife works with suggested an app called “Track”.

Im a big guy who likes to eat. My job has down time, and time for scrapple, bacon, homefries, eggs, corned beef hash, etc breakfasts.
I'm 6'4", weighed in at 270 last week, as heavy as I've ever been. Would like to get back into the 230's.
Been watching the calories for one week, down 3 lbs so far. Hadn't jogged since October, did a 5k with the wife a couple weeks ago, trying to do 2-3 miles, 2-3 times per week.
Wish I would learn one of these years it's easier to maintain a healthy weight than working back to it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back