Did I miss the memo on Ammunition stock-pile?

Went to my reloading store today to pick up powder; and they told me they heard primers won't hit the shelves until the summer or fall of 2021...
good lord. I have a friend that just decided to get into reloading...because he couldn't find ammo for his gun.

we had a good laugh when we talked it out and realized that's probably not going to help his problem...

good lord. I have a friend that just decided to get into reloading...because he couldn't find ammo for his gun.

we had a good laugh when we talked it out and realized that's probably not going to help his problem...
It's all hard to get right now unfortunately, now is not a good time to start reloading, with prices going up and everything is hard to get.

To me its just SOOO strange that any common man would need 5000 primers. lol

I think primers/powder are the new toilet paper.

99% of people wont shoot 5000 rounds in 2 lifetimes....I think its just a select group of dillweeds that are hoarding it all. Shame on those individuals.

99% of people wont shoot 5000 rounds in 2 lifetimes....I think its just a select group of dillweeds that are hoarding it all. Shame on those individuals.
Esp, 5000 magnum rifle primers.

Do you also buy barrels in bulk and who did your shoulder replacement.

Yeah this is stupid, glad I bought a bit of ammo back around 2013'ish. Preparation is one thing, but when people start hoarding stuff it's just stupid.

Those 10,000 rounds of .22 LR are really gonna help out when the shit hits the fan...... :rolleyes:

Found 300 the other day at Academy Sports and outdoors. Don’t plan to buy any for years now.

I've had anywhere from 3k-6k magnum primers on hand since I started handloading in the mid-80's.

A few friends and I would place orders and split the hazmat fee, to make that pencil out, we had to order quite a bit of stuff.

As I went through a box of 1k, I would just replace them, so still have 5k on hand. Not a hoarding situation, just don't like to run out of stuff.

Same with powder, I don't hoard it, but like to shoot the same lot so once I find a powder that I like, I buy 8lb cans.

Bullets I buy when they go on sale and again, to make the shipping costs pencil out, I usually buy 400-1000 at a time.

Plus, I pick up stuff here and there if I see a good deal.

I probably have enough stuff to last 10-15 years right now, probably a lifetime if I were stingy and shot less.

Do you also buy barrels in bulk and who did your shoulder replacement.
There are benchresters at the local club that do in fact shoot 10,000 rounds/year, and do buy barrels “in bulk”. However, they use small rifle primers, custom bullets, and as mentioned in a post above, they are a very small group of shooters. I also have a good friend who is an incredible competitive pistol shooter and likely makes 10,000 shots per year look like child’s play, but again, we’re discussing a very small number of people.

The current shortage is primary a result of hoarding by dingbats, and I am once again behind the curve.

To that end, most of the people buying right now likely will never even load the stuff. They are just buying it to re-sell and make a profit due to the "pandemic".....

I'm OCD according to my wife because reload my hulls and brass when it comes back from the range normally within 24 hours. So 99.9% of my ammo is ready to go so this silliness really never affected me at all.

There are benchresters at the local club that do in fact shoot 10,000 rounds/year, and do buy barrels “in bulk”. However, they use small rifle primers, custom bullets, and as mentioned in a post above, they are a very small group of shooters. I also have a good friend who is an incredible competitive pistol shooter and likely makes 10,000 shots per year look like child’s play, but again, we’re discussing a very small number of people.

The current shortage is primary a result of hoarding by dingbats, and I am once again behind the curve.
I know a couple people who shoot that much as well.... I've just never of anyone going out and shooting a .300 win mag, 5 times a week, 20 rounds at a sitting... every single week year round.

I know a guy with a 204 ruger that went through 4 barrels in a summer.

To that end, most of the people buying right now likely will never even load the stuff. They are just buying it to re-sell and make a profit due to the "pandemic".....

I'm OCD according to my wife because reload my hulls and brass when it comes back from the range normally within 24 hours. So 99.9% of my ammo is ready to go so this silliness really never affected me at all.
"OCD"... sure if by that you mean I know the correct way to accomplish tasks.

I've had anywhere from 3k-6k magnum primers on hand since I started handloading in the mid-80's.

A few friends and I would place orders and split the hazmat fee, to make that pencil out, we had to order quite a bit of stuff.

As I went through a box of 1k, I would just replace them, so still have 5k on hand. Not a hoarding situation, just don't like to run out of stuff.

Same with powder, I don't hoard it, but like to shoot the same lot so once I find a powder that I like, I buy 8lb cans.

Bullets I buy when they go on sale and again, to make the shipping costs pencil out, I usually buy 400-1000 at a time.

Plus, I pick up stuff here and there if I see a good deal.

I probably have enough stuff to last 10-15 years right now, probably a lifetime if I were stingy and shot less.
Used to do the same thing, keep in mind many gun clubs used to order for members TONS of shot, pallets of shotgun shells to save $$ on delivery and get bulk pricing, same deal for things that were not readily shipable like primers so the minimum offer was a 5,000 primer case and we would often split the order. If you shoot IPSC, IDPA, Cowboy action using 1,000 rounds a week in practice is often normal. Bench rest folks like to find a load and shoot the same lot of primer/powder/bullet so buy bulk. Way above norm for guys on a hunting forum, but normal for competitive shooters. I have given and sold to local guys who are short with the provision that they replace for me when available, prices will eventually reflect supply when production catches up, so help out other folks when you can.

Has this run on ammo been going on for awhile?
Just look at the last digit in the calendar year. If it is even, it is the year of a federal election and a democrat may get elected to one or more offices -- time to hoard. If it is odd, then we are just one year away from an election year where a democrat may get elected to one or more offices -- time to hoard before those clueless folks start hoarding next year. ;)

I use magnum primers for everything. I got caught with my pants down in 2008 and couldn't find primers for quite a while. When they came back into stock, I bought a brick of large rifles. When I transitioned to Hammers, I ended up buying a brick of magnums. Between that brick and the 8 lb can of powder I bought in August, I should be set for the rest of my life. I do most of my shooting with a different rifle.

I have some stuff up on FB market place. Have had to guys try to barter ammo. One of them had .223. I ended up taking some of it in the deal. My wife takes that as further confirmation that I'm looney.

I got caught with my pants down last time, I vowed it would not happen again, Mission successful!
And sense my kids are addicted to prairie dog blasting we can go through 1200 rounds in a weekend.

Back