Did I miss the memo on Ammunition stock-pile?

I actually went to a place near me that is just a reloading supply place and got some powder. Just for kicks I asked bout primers and all they had was large pistol.
That's all my reloading store has is pistol primers but unfortunately I have 0 large rifle primers, on the bright side I still have rifle magnum

I visit a small reloading shop. They don’t even have a website which was probably the saving grace. I was picking up some more large rifle primers and H4350 and was advised to get what I need because it’ll probably be three months before they get anything else. They still have a decent selection of powders, primers have been hard to come by like everywhere else.

This has been the worst and longest shortage I can ever remember seeing. I suppose there are different reasons for it, but I think there's been quite a trickle down effect. I don't know how it started, but maybe with the COVID shutdowns in factories? Seems all the factory-loaded ammo went and didn't recover. Then there have been a lot of people get into handloading because they can't find ammo, then all the presses and reloading components went.

I was in sportsman's warehouse in Missoula last week and had a conversation with a guy behind the gun counter. He said it's been surreal. Every type of press is still just flying off the shelf and they get a constant parade of people asking questions like, "do I really need to chamfer brass before I load it?"

And, not to get political, but a Democrat entering the Whitehouse has historically caused a spike in gun and ammo sales, so I'm doubtful were nearing the end of this shortage. I keep thinking this will normalize eventually, but there's a part of me concerned this may just be the new norm. Hope I'm wrong about that.

Reactions: Guy
I spoke to an associate at Sportsmans recently and he said the issue was getting raw material for producing ammo, which I don't really think is the case. Sounds like a giant spike in demand and manufacturers are trying to catch up but it will take some time. I want to go to the range, but I only have enough stocked for a couple of range sessions and next hunting season. Hopefully we'll see a resupply soon.

I spoke to an associate at Sportsmans recently and he said the issue was getting raw material for producing ammo, which I don't really think is the case. Sounds like a giant spike in demand and manufacturers are trying to catch up but it will take some time. I want to go to the range, but I only have enough stocked for a couple of range sessions and next hunting season. Hopefully we'll see a resupply soon.
That was an myth in ‘12 as well which has been refuted. It’s just hoarding it shall pass.

Anyone noticing a ton more shooting at the range? Only thing I can see hampering getting restocked would be an order of magnitude more shooters at the range.

That was an myth in ‘12 as well which has been refuted. It’s just hoarding it shall pass.

Anyone noticing a ton more shooting at the range? Only thing I can see hampering getting restocked would be an order of magnitude more shooters at the range.

The president of our local range texted me on Friday. When I joined in 2017 he was excited that membership was approaching 500 as it had sat under 400 members for many years.

It's up over 800 now. That place has been a zoo. It was typically busy on weekends, but dead during the week. Hardly an open lane the last few months any day of the week.

I went yesterday. I ran into a few more folks than normal. I think the main thing I've seen an increase in is AR-15s. Seems everybody has one or two. I'd say it's actually unusual to go out and not see somebody shooting one. Even the guys working on loads for a hunting rifle generally pulls out an AR and burns some ammo before they wrap it up.

I live with in ear shot of my club. Use has actually been down. I chalk it up to people either hoarding and afraid to burn it or guys like me who would burn it but can't get enough of it. Just can't bring myself to hoard but that may change.

I think these stress tests could be good to help clear out old inventory from the system, force manufacturers to invest in and liven up their manufacturing capabilities, etc. For example, if they are considering investing in new buildings, equipment or staff to focus almost solely on profitable / high volume lines like 223, 308 or 6.5cm, I think it would be great if that resulted in freeing up some older, slower equipment to run smaller batch stuff that right now might not be able to compete its way into the production schedule. Smaller batch stuff carries a higher price point, keeping it viable for the maker and still serving the supply needs of the niche shooting community. A little have your cake and eat it too for the companies which could help strengthen their bottom line and resiliency. I am oversimplifying things here but just hoping that there could be opportunities for improvement that come out of this mess.

I just bought a 20 gauge and was hoping to take it rabbit hunting tomorrow. Went to two Walmart’s and a bass pro. Didn’t have shells 20 gauge 3” bore. Several boxes of 20 3/4, but the shelves mostly empty otherwise. Sucks because I had no idea either.

One other very sad case in point, I was speaking to a local reloading supply dealer here in northwest MT. He mentioned that his wholesaler, Black Hills Shooter Supply is so depleted that they have a year's worth of back log on primer orders. Making matters worse, the light is so far at the end of the tunnel that this wholesaler elected to rent warehouse space to some local RV owners for the winter.

One other very sad case in point, I was speaking to a local reloading supply dealer here in northwest MT. He mentioned that his wholesaler, Black Hills Shooter Supply is so depleted that they have a year's worth of back log on primer orders. Making matters worse, the light is so far at the end of the tunnel that this wholesaler elected to rent warehouse space to some local RV owners for the winter.
Sure makes me glad that I have several lifetime supplies of all that I need....or will ever need!

Spoke with a gun shop owner who sells a tremendous amount of guns and ammo. He does not foresee a change in availability in 2021.
Part of the problem is that Remington hasn’t been producing ammo.

Went to my reloading store today to pick up powder; and they told me they heard primers won't hit the shelves until the summer or fall of 2021...

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back