MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Devaluing Non-Residents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look, I'm normally on your side when it comes to your feud with RJ, and to be totally honest I am on your side on this debate as well.... but maybe cool with the pics cause it comes across like you want us to measure your hog. We all measure hogs in our own way, so it wouldn't even be an accurate measurement. Some may measure from the base of the pelvis while others measure from the bottom.

I'm a proud NR Hunter. Always have been. Always will be. If there are 1,000,000 NR hunters, I am one of them. If there is only one NR Hunter, that hunter is me. If there are no longer any NR Hunters, I am dead.

Good chance I'll be back to WY for a third time in a row this fall. If bad comes to bad I'll just go fishing in Wyoming instead.
By rj's theory, my friends shouldn't have been able to find a tag here...read his OP:

Why should I donate to a corner crossing cause when WY and the residents want to keep all the tags for themselves?

By rj's theory, my friends shouldn't have been able to find a tag here...read his OP:

Why should I donate to a corner crossing cause when WY and the residents want to keep all the tags for themselves?

Fair enough, but we get the point lol.

It doesn't come across as principled to not help out on that issue at all if it won't mean more opportunities to shoot something. I would have donated my $20 to the GoFundMe if it was in Rhode Island or somewhere else I never planned on going solely because I felt it was a right/wrong issue. Some things are just bigger than hunting I suppose.

Then define "Benefit."

Equity or share are good synonyms. It's important to note the trust is a statewide resource. Localized economic benefits (there's that word again) in Scobey that we may consider, should not be to the detriment of a guy sitting at home in Sula. Like I said, this absolutely is very complicated, as a case could be made that economic benefits to the Dead Horse Bar will ultimately make their way across the state. I guess something I struggle with is that entertaining second and third order effects really allows for a lot of claims and favoritism - justified or not.

This isn't directed at you, Ben, and I'm just thinking of it now so forgive me.

An analogy.

I’m a part of a geographically based trustee/beneficiary relationship – that being our local VFD. Per the MCA, for the protection of the district and its citizens.

Imagine a man owns business X in our district. That business employs a ton of locals, some of which are VFD members, and in turn, generates a lot of cheese for the tax rolls – a good portion of which goes to the VFD for better equipment and gear, ultimately bettering the protection of the district.

Now, that man also owns a business 2 districts over, and that business is on fire. If that business 2 districts over burns down, he’ll be ruined – his business X in our district will shutter its doors, and we will lose firefighters and revenue – a big net loss for the mandate of our existence.

But at the exact same moment, a trailer in the local trailer park has ignited. It belongs to your average local. The owner cuts wood for a living, is not a member of the VFD, and barely pays taxes. We can put one of these two incidents out, but not both at the same time.

A very logically sound case could be made that we should load up and head 50 miles down the road and let that actual citizen of the district’s trailer burn to the ground. We're talking about decisions that benefit the whole district down the line, and it’s just about the bigger picture.

But that would be wrong, and dereliction of duty to the citizens of the geography we do what do for. Somewhat analogously, sometimes I feel like folks in the world of wildlife are arguing that we oughta head down the road and allow that guy's to trailer turn to ash. He just doesn't do enough economically on the side.

@BuzzH I guess I don't see any value on picking on anyone for their lack of harvest... Lots of people learning about where they hunt, how to hunt, etc.

Is there something useful you want to comment? Or just troll @rjthehunter for the HT likes?
Yeah, that anyone complaining about no opportunities for NR hunting in Wyoming is a no-hunting tool with an ax to grind. He's not hunting here because he flat doesn't want to, has ZERO to do with tag availability.

Just coming up short on a hunt happens, you've missed the point.

Complaining that WY residents are not affording NR's mountains of opportunity is wrong headed and an outright lie.

Guys like rjthe"hunter" complaining because NR's have no opportunity here and that residents keep all the tags for themselves, is ridiculous.

It's also why I think the meateater article is falling flat for me, they're complaining about the cost of a special fee for limited buck and bull tags, while ignoring the mountains of opportunity that exists here and has stayed flat or increased very little in cost for a long time. That includes the regular NR full priced fees, the reduced priced tags as well as NR youth fees.

Last edited:
Yeah, that anyone complaining about no opportunities for NR hunting in Wyoming is a no-hunting tool.

Just coming up short on a hunt happens, you've missed the point.

Complaining that WY residents are not affording NR's mountains of opportunity is wrong headed and an outright lie.

Guys like rjthe"hunter" complaining because NR's have no opportunity here and that residents keep all the tags for themselves, is ridiculous.
I think his complaint is that it is increasingly challenging to get a desirable tag for an affordable price as NR. He's not wrong, especially when history is used as the datum.

I may have missed where he said his lack of opportunity was related to harvest.

I also imagine you'd feel a lot different if you'd have invested years and dollars into something to have your opportunities cut dramatically by the legislature. I haven't (only hunted as resident in WY and MT), but it's not hard to see how things are becoming less desirable as a NR.

Wake up call to the whiny poor unentitled non-residents who don't think it's fair... If you go on "strike" and "not gonna pay".. there's 10 guys behind you that will. Those high-priced NR permits will never get cheaper, and they're still going to get sold, every last one of them. For a soon to be revealed illustration of this fact - stay tuned for the 2024 drawing odds are for the WY "Special" NR elk licenses are this year, as they've risen to $2,000+ a pop. It's 2024 and the King's Deer is in high demand.
I think part of the point that the article was trying to make is that its not that there won't be 10 guys behind the person not willing to fork over the cash to play. It's about losing advocacy for the resource through the support that hunters provide nationwide. Less people applying, less advocacy. In my opinion, this topic has nothing to do with the cash flow into game and fish agencies. They will get their money, it just might be coming from less sources and also from less likely sources that support DIY public land types. I'm purely speculating here but in say Montana or Wyoming, isn't a lot of resident hunters the DIY, public land types? So while you may see less NR at your local honey hole chasing elk as a result, the hunter that now took that tag is sitting in a fancy lodge smoking cigars after his lobster dinner talking to his ranch landowner buddy how they can get a higher outfitter allocation using their pocket books to influence politics. Cause remember, that's the cash cow now since NR license and PP purchases aren't doing it anymore.

I think his complaint is that it is increasingly challenging to get a desirable tag for an affordable price as NR. He's not wrong, especially when history is used as the datum.

I may have missed where he said his lack of opportunity was related to harvest.

I also imagine you'd feel a lot different if you'd have invested years and dollars into something to have your opportunities cut dramatically by the legislature. I haven't (only hunted as resident in WY and MT), but it's not hard to see how things are becoming less desirable as a NR.

The ebb & flow of the allocation to NR's isn't going to change, and while I'm in agreement that the flow of NR opportunity has over-reached in many states, the drastic over-reaction is what is going to cause a massive issue in terms of splitting a powerful, if small, group of stakeholders.

And that is 100% about the resource first. Non-residents are a massive subsidy to resident hunters. To think that doesn't benefit the public trust in multiple ways ignores reality, just as the push tp punish NR's bears little reality in terms of being something that is feasable in most western states.*

*UT, CO, NM, WA, OR, CA excluded. No offer if void where prohibited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back