Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Desert BIGhorn Sheep

codyegreen

6:30 in the morning, I get this call from my dad. He says, "Cody, draw results just came out and I just got a bighorn sheep tag in unit 26 (hatchets)". It took me about 5 min to conquer what he just said in my mind lol. I cannot believe what he just said... I'm completely gonna devote myself to help my dad get his desert bighorn. Anyone have an info for me on where they've seen them or any ideas? I would really appreciate it because, I've scowered and scowered for hours trying to find info on this hunt, but not enough people have drew this hunt to get info out I guess haha. If you got any pictures or anything at all that can possibly help me, I would really appreciate it. Thank you guys!

If you are a BHA member check out NM chapters Facebook page and post the question there. I was at a pint night Thursday and there were several people talking sheep. One was actually involved in flying surveys and relocations.

6:30 in the morning, I get this call from my dad. He says, "Cody, draw results just came out and I just got a bighorn sheep tag in unit 26 (hatchets)". It took me about 5 min to conquer what he just said in my mind lol. I cannot believe what he just said... I'm completely gonna devote myself to help my dad get his desert bighorn. Anyone have an info for me on where they've seen them or any ideas? I would really appreciate it because, I've scowered and scowered for hours trying to find info on this hunt, but not enough people have drew this hunt to get info out I guess haha. If you got any pictures or anything at all that can possibly help me, I would really appreciate it. Thank you guys!

There are very few people who hunt this unit and those who work hard for the sheep are going to be reluctant to give away the information on the internet. The place is pretty special. I've hunted 26 and 27 and it's some of my favorite country. The mountains are beautiful. It's remote and rugged and a heck of a drive down there. But my advice is to invest the boot leather and truck fuel to get down there and scout as much as possible in the next few months.

Sheep are likely to be anywhere where there is suitable habitat in the range. They can move around the mountain a lot. People like to think of them living on the top of the highest peak, and they can. But I've seen them down low too (not in the Hatchets but elsewhere...no reason to think these sheep are any different). They need water. If I were you, I'd try to find any springs, guzzlers, windmills, tanks, etc. Get to those spots and scout for sign, maybe get some trail cams. Hike to good glassing spots and spend some days behind optics.

Like NM34R said, NM BHA has had a number of successful desert bighorn hunters who may provide you some tips at the next pint night.

Welcome to HT!

I'm pretty sure NM has a dedicated sheep biologist, if it were me I'd find out who that is and see what info he/she is willing to offer.

Back