Defintion WY Irrigated Land?

Thanks @Oak
Thoughts on if I had 1000 acres, but only 100 acres had a pivot on it, would that whole parcel be considered irrigated?

My thoughts are worth exactly what you paid for them, but I would think that you have 100 acres of irrigated land. I have seen hunts up there restricted by distance to irrigated land before, IIRC.

If there are ten women, and one of them is pregnant, would the entire group be considered pregnant?
Not the same and not really helpful.

Ill be checking with WY FG on Monday anyway.

Reactions: Oak
The way it was described to me by a Wyoming biologist was a mile from the ground which gets irrigated. But other areas may have different distances

Not the same and not really helpful.

Ill be checking with WY FG on Monday anyway.

Sorry if you feel that wasn't helpful, but it's only because you don't want it to be. Irrigated land is just that. Within a mile of said irrigated land is self explanatory. They may give you some leeway, but it isn't overly complex. I don't see how anyone can extend irrigated status to 900 acres of dryland just because the same person owns it.

Pretty much if it's green, it's irrigated. The hard part is keeping track of how far away you are from it. The units I hunt, have a 1/2 mile from irrigated lands restriction. I'm pretty sure it's not that strictly enforced. If I end up 3/4 of a mile away, I don't get too concerned.

Point your fancy pants slickta extreme tactical puffy digital range finder at the sugarbeat/alfalfa leaves, and if it says 880 yds or less, fire for effect.

Pretty much if it's green, it's irrigated. The hard part is keeping track of how far away you are from it. The units I hunt, have a 1/2 mile from irrigated lands restriction. I'm pretty sure it's not that strictly enforced. If I end up 3/4 of a mile away, I don't get too concerned.
That’s actually a pretty good description.

FYI I grew up in Tenino...

Thanks @Oak
Thoughts on if I had 1000 acres, but only 100 acres had a pivot on it, would that whole parcel be considered irrigated?

No, however just because a property only is irrigating 100 acres doesn't mean their water rights wont allow them to irrigate more, if enough water is available or if they can even get water to it. We got a quick run down from one of the water commissioners on how water rights and such work since we've been looking at some small ranches up in WY. So that may be some grey area for you to ask about. One property we looked at was irrigating 100 acres via gated pipe but had rights to more, some it they didn't irrigate because it wasn't set up, some they couldn't because there was no way of getting water from the ditch without having to go through other peoples property. Also snow melt can effect how much water a property receives to irrigate so it's possible some years they irrigate more/less than others. I would ask about that too. Also most irrigated land is somewhat close to the roads since that is where the ditches usually run.

I wouldn't count on it not being enforced.

Some guys in Idaho tried to stretch the green hunt distance limit on a cow elk...ended up costing them $1800 in fines and a confiscated elk. The guy that turned them in got a $300 reward...that was then donated back to the IDFG access program.

I know some guys that read the regs a little backwards: They thought it said you had to shoot them at least a 1/2 mile away from irrigated.

:geek: :D

I called the Cody office last year and asked the same question and the answer that I got from the biologist was that it must be currently irrigated. The "1/2 mile from green" is what we went by.

...anyone know of a legal description of this?

Irrigated land refers to agricultural areas purposely provided with water, including land irrigated by controlled flooding. This includes land with irrigation canals, ditches, piping, etc designed to irrigate that land it sits on unless the particular acreage was put into CRP or fallowed status. If the landowner intends to plant crops in a growing year on a plot of land, then that land if equipped with irrigation means can be considered irrigated land. It does not include pastures or dry land crop acreages. I grew up on a farm and a lot of this is determined by your water rights.

If I remember correctly the doe tags we had over in unit 114 said on or within 1/2 mile of irrigated land. We kept it simple and set up near the pivots themselves and shot them as they ate in the sugar beet fields. Best tasting antelope I’ve ever had. Good luck.

Corn fields yield excellent tasting deer and antelope too. I hunted Washington and Lincoln counties in Colorado for years before I moved to Wyoming.

Update:
Spoke with 2 game wardens in my hunting districts and they granted it was more of a "common sense" rule, meaning don't overthink it and stay closer than further from irrigated land. Land that is laying fallow but has irrigation equipment would be included even if it was not actively being irrigated ("how are we supposed to know a ranchers mind?"). Also, there is public land that is irrigated and/or has irrigation equipment. Both would be included in that type 2 tag.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back