Caribou Gear Tarp

Define a "Good Day Hunting" when you don't kill.

One of my most memorable hunts... It was a trip to eastern MT with me and my dog. We shot a truck load of birds including a couple Huns, pheasants, sharp-tails, and a turkey. The best part was I shot and missed 2 different antelope bucks. One was a pretty nice one, but in the end it didn't matter and I didn't have to get bloody, but still had fun... :D

I really like those days when you see a lot of animals. The sun warms your face mid day, and there are no bugs.

Could be for several reasons, I consider my best days to be
Getting to enjoy a sunrise/sunset in nature
A day spent with friends in a duck blind
A day out with my father who is now 80, I count each day we spend together hunting a blessing
Any day I'm hunting on a vacation day away from the plant is a perfect day.
Exploring new ground, I will be hunting some new areas this year for antelope
As I get older, the killing is nice, and still a reason to go, but lots of other reasons to appreciate a day hunting.

If I’m comfortable, dry, not hungry, and not rushed, and my feet & knees aren’t aching, that’s about all I can hope for. If I see deer or grouse, that’s even better. If all of the above, and I don’t see any other hunters, that’s better still!

Though, when I’m somewhere that no one else is, it makes me wonder what they know about that spot that I don’t.

When it comes to big game I always figured a good day hunting was when I didn't get a kill. No quicker way to ruin a hunt than to get an animal down.

One of the best hunts I’ve ever had was a tree stand hunt in a grove of pines. No wind, crisp, beautiful full moon and I had a bald eagle nearby to watch as it started to grow dark.

I could hear a deer coming for about 5 minutes, and it turned out to be a spike buck. Just sat and watched for a while and he walked away. I can’t remember ever having a more peaceful few hours, and I can recall that hunt in vivid detail- I could walk to that exact tree and it’s not a spot I hunt often at all.

Not sure why that one sticks out, but a few things I do remember- the weather was perfect (except for the full moon part I guess), I was dressed right, it was a pretty place to sit and my mind was right at that moment. I think that’s the biggest part.

Up early enough to get in position before sunrise, cool but not freezing, no wind; no people, no ATV’s, no noise, some live animals (preferably matching the tag of the day). The rest is on me if I make a good stalk and shot.

Walking out and into several cows right in front of the house a hundred yards, another right there in the lane broadside. Off they go into the herd leaving for the day, away from me.
Day 2 do exact same thing except 2 are in the lane before they go. LOL
Buddy shows up 3 hrs later and the next 3 mornings go similar,lots of cows.
Then it clicks on his 3rd morning and we spend the rest of the time wrapping and laughing.
No tag filled and yet fulfilled. Last year. Trying for better for me this year...LOL

Largely agree with OP. If I'm not injured, dead , or out a substantial amount of money it's probably a decent hunt so long as I keep a good perspective.

-Being out enjoying God's creation and the freedom to be doing whatever I want to be doing if I'm by myself
-Spending time with my husband if he is with me
-Spending time as a family if we also have the children along
Whatever happens, if I'm hunting, I'm going to be saying 'it's a good day, I'm so glad we are doing this'.

A good day hunting for me is when my clothing matches the weather perfectly. I'm not sweaty and I'm not cold.
The visibility is good and I can see game a long distance away.
I am not wiped out tired by the middle of the day. My feet are stepping softly and quietly and I'm not out of breath.
I'm seeing game but it is not seeing, hearing or smelling me.
If I'm elk hunting, or in elk country hunting deer I'm hearing bugles
I'm having close encounters with non target species. Maybe a moose along the trail or a sow bear with cubs crossing below me on a hill.
I'm fully appreciating nature because I'm a part of it, not an observer.

Couldn't say it better myself!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back