Deer rifles for young hunters

jcbdc

I want to purchase deer riles for my grandchildren!
Was thinking a first time hunter would be able to handle a .243, 6.5 creedmore, or .308. What do you guys think would be a good first rifle?

I bought this in 7mm-08. My boys love it!

I think it depends a little on the size of the kid, too. I grew up shooting a 35 Remington, which was a very forgiving round for a youngster. But I was also a bigger kid and could handle the recoil better than my little brother, who grew up shooting a 7mm-08, which he shot for several years until he finally upgraded to a magnum. All of that said, I think .243 is also logical choice, with affordable ammunition that is (typically, in normal times) easy to find.

Based on the replies and what I would look into, it kind of depends on the stature of the grandkids. If they are slender 70 pound pups yeah the .243, if they have a little meat on the bones 7mm-08. A 6.5 CM would be my 3rd choice and if they have hit that growth spurt already where you think of them as young adults the 308 would be okay.

My general first choice would be the 7mm-08 though.

.243 would be easiest to shoot. I got my kid a 7mm-08 thinking it would be most versatile for anything up to elk sized game. It recoiled a little harder than I was hoping for, but not bad...a little less than my .270 in the same model of rifle. Just for a small kid the lighter the recoil the better so it doesn't hurt them and cause them to start bad shooting habits. I ended up putting a Witt Machine clamp-on muzzle break and the felt recoil is between a .223 and .243 now. The gun shoots great with 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, 0.60 MOA. Rifle is a Savage Model 110 with an adjustable length of pull. If the kids are just going to be using the gun for deer, I would recommend a .243.

.243 with a well constructed bullet like the 100 gr. Nosler Partition (Federal makes them). I carried one for work for many years and killed lots of crippled deer, crop damage deer, and some moose with it. I see you are from Tenn. The .243 will kill any Whitetail you have there. If/when the young hunters decide it's time to hunt bigger game, you can have the fun helping them shop for a more potent rifle. You said grandchildren as in plural. Most any size kid of hunting age should be able to handle the .243. If they all have the same rifle/caliber, there won't be any hard feelings among them. If the rifles all like the same ammo, birthday gifts shouldn't be difficult to figure out ;).

all 3 are a good choice and I will add a fourth 7mm-08. All great for kids to start with. I still carry some of these calibers for deer from time to time.

Adjustable stock

Of the choices listed by the OP, I'd pick the 243 Win. Done up right, IMO, it could literally be a lifetime deer rifle.

That said, since the OP is in TN I assume that's where the rifle would see the most and most immediate use. In that case I'd opt for a 223 Rem twisted 8" or faster. Much less recoil and more importantly blast than a 243. With prudent bullet selection, I'd have no problem for using one or having my kids using one on deer to further than mine are capable of shooting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back