Deer rifles for young hunters

If you're only talking deer and you don't handload, I'd probably say .243 also. But, if this rifle is going to be their rifle for a long time and you think they may want to hunt elk, I'd probably choose a 7mm-08 or 6.5 CM for a bit more versatility while still having light recoil.
I got my kids a .308, but that was only because I got a really good deal on it and I can handload down for them, to keep recoil in the .243-7mm-08 range.

I got a Remington 700 compact 243 at around 10 for deer and it worked great. Now that I have grown I plan to put a full sized stock on it and use if for predators.

Will be buying my boys a compact 243 to share. I've git three boys so hopefully I don't have to buy one for each. Then I'll just hold onto it and the grandkids can hunt with it. That is my plan at least.

I say 7mm -08. It more versatile with the ability's to kill elk with the right bullet with only slightly more recoil. My 2 boys can handle the 7mm -08 just fine, they are 12 and 14 now but they started shooting when they where 11 and 13. If you hand load you can load up some reduced recoil loads as well. Just my 2 cents worth.

I got a .243 and .308 for my wife. She shoots the most with the .243 and it's fine for her. She'll only shoot the .308 to sight in and hunt otherwise she sticks to the .243.

.243 or 7mm-08 would be my pick. The 7mm can stabilize a heavier projectile just in case they ever take it on a hunt for a bit larger game. 7mm-08 has been easier to find lately than and of the other calibers mentioned, in my area at least.

I want to purchase deer riles for my grandchildren!
Was thinking a first time hunter would be able to handle a .243, 6.5 creedmore, or .308. What do you guys think would be a good first rifle?
10 or younger I will put my vote in for .243 older than that I would vote 7mm-08. I like the savage axis 2 in youth model. And when they grow up they can give it to their little woman (my wife likes the youth model).

Started my boys with a Rem 700 youth in a 243 and it is a joy to shoot. With hardly any felt recoil they have taken numerous whitetail and antelope. Also no bad habits were formed due to recoil or muzzle blast.

If ammo is ever normal again, consider reduced recoil for the .308, 7mm-08, etc. with that, there’s not much reason to start them with a .223.

I started with and still use my old 7mm-08. It’s an awesome cartridge, low recoil, good grain weight projectile, and will knock the lights out of any medium sized game you put the sites on. Remington 700s are great because you can buy a youth stock if they aren’t big enough to manipulate and feel comfortable with a regular. I’ve also heard good things about the tikka or kimber Montana. Best of luck on the search!

243. A savage 110, a mossberg patriot or a cva cascade, all have adjustable length of pull stocks which adds alot of versatility. I ended up shooting an antelope and a mule deer doe with my daughters 243 mossberg this year.

I am with the 7mm08 crowd even though I don't have one yet. That being said I am a big fan of the .308 and went that way for my daughters and son. I chose the .308 over the 7mm08 just because of the bullet selection and I already had .308 everything for reloading for my Encore Pistol. I also have a .243 and when we go to the range the kids prefer the .308 over the .243.

My oldest son is 7 and I have 2 younger ones behind him. I bought him a Ruger American compact in 243 last year and had a Leupold 2-7x33 in the safe without a home, they paired up nicely together. I let him break it in with the Hornady reduced recoil loads and then he hunted with the 95gr federal fusions. He killed his first deer with it no problem. He can carry it in and out no issue whatsoever. It’s a great little combo for kids. In a few years he will move up into my M7 in 7-08 and my middle son will take up the 243.

The .243 is my all-time favorite caliber, so I’m biased and will give you another vote for the .243!

However, if you’re a reloader my vote would be for the 7mm-08. You can load up some reduced recoil loads, but then have the option of hunting nearly any animal in North America with it.

I loaded up a batch of reduced recoil loads using 14 grains of trail boss and here’s the results from a day at the 50 range with my seven year old behind the trigger.
B6C8A4C0-0CFE-49A2-B28F-3A5891440011.jpeg

He is very comfortable and confident shooting it, and I doubt he’ll even know the difference in a hunting situation when I slip full strength rounds in.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back