Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Deer meal

Capricorn

Hi folks,
I have some deer meat(some hindquarter) and I don't know how to cook it in an interesting way.
I've made deer stew, fried deer, deer chops. Btw, you may cook nice soup using deer's ribs.
So, any other ideas?

Welcome to HT, baby Yoda

Make jerky in the oven with soy sauce, garlic powder, mustard powder, and cayenne

Stroganoff, Chile Colorado, beef stir fry w/ broccoli or garlic sauce, fajitas, kebabs, etc. You have extra lean sirloin or round, so treat it accordingly.

I also like to do a whole roast, medium rare. https://honest-food.net/roast-venison-recipe-dumplings/

Lots of other ideas there on that website, but those should keep you occupied for a while.

But if you have shank- braised shank. Best part of the entire deer.

Last edited:
Marinate them in milk with a light salt and pepper dry rub then grill until medium rare and bon a petit

fajitas In the crock pot. slice thin with bell peppers and onions, also jalapeños if you like spicyness. Let simmer for a few hours on low to make the meat tender, add some tomatoes the last bit.

edit* and fajita seasoning of course lol

Last edited:
Another taco recipe.....
Make a rub with equal parts chili powder and garlic powder, and some salt and pepper
Take a 2lb chunk and rub down then sear all sides in dutch oven then remove.
Saute a chopped onion then add a can of red enchilada sauce plus 1/2 cup of beef broth
Return the meat and into the oven - 350 for an hour and a half. Add a finely chopped bell pepper or poblano and stir in with a can of southwest corn.
Cook another half hour or so.
Meat should shred easily. Shred and mix thoroughly . Great on corn tortillas.

Steak Diane is always interesting. I grew up eating it with fajita size steak bites from the bottom round. Search the internet for a recipe that floats your boat. Pretty much Worcestershire sauce and butter plus other seasonings that vary from chef to chef.

Carne Asada sliced thin and marinated in Lime juice. orange juice, Cumin, garlic and chili powder.

You could substitute it for the Beef in Beef Bourgineon (Burgandy)

Thank you for the ideas, I will try some.
i have one more question. How do you keep meat for a long time?
I mean, I know meat shouldn't be in the fridge more than 2 days or so. Do you use vacuum sealer for your meat peaces to keep them in freezer? Or do you keep them just in bags or so?

Last edited:
Smoke them whole with no seasoning when they are done shred the meat and package it in what ever size you like. I usually put a couple pounds in each package. Season the meat however you like for what ever dish you are making.
Tacos
Enchiladas
Fajitas

Vacuum Sealer or 2 layers of Freezer paper. I'm ashamed to say how old of meat wrapped in paper i have served to others and eaten myself.

Thank you for the ideas, I will try some.
i have one more question. How do you keep meat for a long time?
I mean, I know meat shouldn't be in the fridge more than 2 days or so. Do you use vacuum sealer for your meat peaces to keep them in freezer? Or do you keep them just in bags or so?

Deer is regularly held at temp for 7 to 14 days and sometimes longer. For long term storage I vacuum pack mine.
The hank shaw recipes are pretty good. The link above for honest-food.net is a good source. I would recommend his book, Buck, Buck, Moose. It goes through most of what you need to know for the care and preparation of game animals. His recepies incorporate all cuisines but he is partial to Mex and Yucatan preparations. Because of him I've started hanging my ducks and birds at temp before I even draw them. Makes a difference.

His website has some good reading.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back