Yeti GOBOX Collection

Deer/Elk combo hunts

338 win mag

Myself and 2 or 3 buddies may be interested in a deer and elk combo hunt in 2021. What are our best options for OTC or 100% draws? We've hunted Wyoming the last few years but normally the deer and elk rifle seasons don't align (at least in the units we would hunt) I know Montana and Idaho are probably possibilities but I haven't researched much farther than that.

I should specify that it doesn't necessarily need to be a 'combo tag.' A couple of us are wanting to elk hunt and the others deer hunt.

How about cow elk and deer, easier to do in Wyoming for most areas and do you all have PP ?
We all have elk points. 2 of us would prefer bull tags but its something we definitely considered

I would 2nd or 3rd the cow elk hunt in Wyoming. Probably have a good chance of at least one of you drawing a tag (all go on the hunt). Same with deer. One of you should draw a mule Deer tag and all go on the hunt. Hopefully more than one will draw? 1% of hunting is pulling the trigger or flinging the arrow. The other 99% is what it's about. As long as one can draw get the gang to all commit, split the cost of the hunt, even the tag (shooter is the tag drawer). Everyone share the meat and the hunt. Next season do it again. Makes for some cheap out of state hunting if you can get your buddies to commit to "the hunt". Been doing this for several years now with my partner. Wish we had a 3rd or even a 4th to split everything with. For us it's not about pulling the trigger nor is it about the trophy. Been a meat hunter all my life and when I retired really wanted to hunt out of state and experience different states/hunts/species. It gets super expensive on a fixed income but if you have some partners willing to commit to "the hunt" it works awesome. If you have partners that have not Elk hunted it will also give some great hunting experience to be on a cow or spike hunt.

I would 2nd or 3rd the cow elk hunt in Wyoming. Probably have a good chance of at least one of you drawing a tag (all go on the hunt). Same with deer. One of you should draw a mule Deer tag and all go on the hunt. Hopefully more than one will draw? 1% of hunting is pulling the trigger or flinging the arrow. The other 99% is what it's about. As long as one can draw get the gang to all commit, split the cost of the hunt, even the tag (shooter is the tag drawer). Everyone share the meat and the hunt. Next season do it again. Makes for some cheap out of state hunting if you can get your buddies to commit to "the hunt". Been doing this for several years now with my partner. Wish we had a 3rd or even a 4th to split everything with. For us it's not about pulling the trigger nor is it about the trophy. Been a meat hunter all my life and when I retired really wanted to hunt out of state and experience different states/hunts/species. It gets super expensive on a fixed income but if you have some partners willing to commit to "the hunt" it works awesome. If you have partners that have not Elk hunted it will also give some great hunting experience to be on a cow or spike hunt.
We can most likely all draw deer tags as we have the last few years, so we can all hunt regardless. So true about pulling the trigger only being a small part of the experience. The cow tag is definitely a thought

There are a few areas and Regions that have deer and elk seasons overlap, depends on how many elk PP you have though.
pm sent

Pretty much every western state will offer something for you. Just gotta do some research and see when seasons/units overlap. First thought is Colorado. You can get a OTC bull tag, draw a cow tag and/or draw a mule deer tag. Many units don't require any points for a draw. Just gotta figure out what those are. Montana combo elk/mule deer tag comes to mind as well.

Pretty much every western state will offer something for you. Just gotta do some research and see when seasons/units overlap. First thought is Colorado. You can get a OTC bull tag, draw a cow tag and/or draw a mule deer tag. Many units don't require any points for a draw. Just gotta figure out what those are. Montana combo elk/mule deer tag comes to mind as well.
Didn't really even think about Colorado. I guess I'll dive into GoHunt and see what I can find

I wouldn't waste time to come to Colorado on a OTC hunt unless it was my last option.

The advice above is great- find an area in Wyoming with overlapping deer/cow seasons in early October. The weather is typically beautiful and you can chase bugles to the herd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nurek
Back