Deer avoid drill rigs

Bambistew

By WHITNEY ROYSTER
Star-Tribune environmental reporter

JACKSON -- A report documenting mule deer activity in Sublette County is being hailed by both sides of the energy issue as supportive of their positions.

Conducted by Western Ecosystems Technology Inc. of Cheyenne, the report says, in part, that mule deer are avoiding oil and gas well pads and drilling rigs more and more each year. The report also identified a new mule deer migration corridor along the base of the Wind River Mountains.

Energy company representatives say their proposal to reduce the number of well pads by employing directional drilling should help deer. Conservationists say the report shows more information is needed before opening areas to energy exploration.

Hall Sawyer, a wildlife biologist with WEST Inc. who helped develop the report, said the response of mule deer to energy development appears to be immediate.

"In year one of development, they began using habitat away from the well pads," he said. And, in subsequent years, the animals move farther away, he said.

"It doesn't lend any evidence that they are acclimating," he said.

Sawyer also said areas considered high-use mule deer habitat once developed are abandoned for less desirable areas.

"Deer might be displaced to less-preferred habitats," he said. "From a biological perspective, that is a red flag."

The team also documented a narrow migration corridor at the base of the Winds.

The corridor is about 50 miles long and rarely exceeds a mile in width. The area has been designated as "off limits" to energy development by the Bureau of Land Management pending a new resource management plan for the area.

For people like Ralph Faler, who is a fifth-generation Sublette County resident, the report shows that more information is needed before allowing more energy development.

"I just don't think they can tell what the long range is going to be in this," he said. He said there may not be enough habitat when all the drilling is done for mule deer to winter.

"When it's gone, it's gone, and it ain't like, 'Let's go back and fix it,'" Faler said. "There isn't any fixing it."

But Ron Hogan, Pinedale project manager for Questar Exploration and Development Co., said the report shows mule deer avoid places with human development, which is why the company's winter drilling proposal should be more attractive.

"From our perspective, all the findings that we see so far are preliminary, but they do tend to support what we're trying to do with our year-round drilling plan," he said.

With year-round drilling -- granted by the BLM to Questar last month -- the company will drill six wells from three pads for nine years during winter months, starting next winter. The company will then employ directional drilling throughout the year, minimizing the number of well pads needed and reducing the human footprint. It will also install pipelines to ship condensate, which will reduce truck trips and more human disturbance.

But Peter Aengst with the Wilderness Society, a group that says it has been working to ensure energy development is properly balanced with wildlife and habitat needs, called the report a "red flag."

"If we allow BLM to continue down the path they're on -- drill first and analyze and determine impacts later -- we could end up with some really kind of tragic casualties from that approach in terms of values that the pubic has in that part of Wyoming," he said. "In this case, we're talking about wildlife."

He said the report shows that planners cannot continue "business as usual" in Sublette County.

"It's much more expensive to fix things once you've broken them than to go slow and learn to adapt," he said.

Sawyer said the report is important to "get everybody on the same page" with mule deer information.

"Prior to this work, our knowledge of how deer respond to oil and gas development was based on anecdotal evidence," he said. "With this type of statistical analysis, we hope that at least we can get everybody on the same page and agree that deer are indeed avoiding these well pads."

He also said the good news is survival and reproduction rates appear unaffected by energy development.

The report, dubbed a "Long term monitoring plan to assess potential impacts of energy development on mule deer in the Pinedale Anticline Project Area," is funded by Questar and the BLM. Thousands of deer were fixed with GPS radio collars to track their movements.

The study is in its fourth year and is expected to continue through 2007.

Environmental reporter Whitney Royster can be reached at (307) 734-0260 or at [email protected].

http://www.casperstartribune.net/ar.../wyoming/fa16be8ce19d0e6c87256f5d00064ff9.txt :MAD

This whole oil boom here has been a catch 22. The impact on wildlife sucks and I dont like that but it sure is nice to see the cities growing and people actually having work. I think I will take loosing a few Deer to quality of life. The forfathers of southern Wyoming had it all wrong. Dont let nothing happen to grow and it did just that, stalemate. Then they were dieing. Now there is new life here and its great to see. This coming from a 5 year RMEF chairperson and a member of the Wyoming Wildlife Federation.

The problem also isnt just the oil development, but how its being done. The latest technologies ar not being used, its simply a profit driven push to put in as many wells as possible as quickly and cheaply as possible, and screw the wildlife and the public lands. Wildlife receives no consideration at all, and once again if there is sacrifices to be made, its the public lands and wildlife that get "compromised" straight down the crapper. The art of "compromise" is a scarey thing....compromise 4 times and you're left with 6 1/4% of what you started with...something very few people think about.

Correct management is not to drill first, study impacts later.

Its also funny that, rarely, if ever, are recreational/hunting related economics ever pointed out in these types of discussions. Hunting/fishing/hiking, etc. is a large part of Wyomings economy...yet all you hear about is the oil, gas, and ranching input.

Why aren't new technologies being used BUZZ???

In my part of the country some new technologies are being used and are working (remote monitoring, multiple wells from one pad, directional drilling, etc...). Problems occur on some exploratory wells and the costs of using newer methods.

It is difficult for industry to try and hit a pop-up formation directionally, especially with shallow reserves found in this part of the country.

Here are some examples where industry was not happy with our decision to move them. BTW, this just came across my desk today. Remember, many of these drill locations were selected by engineers in Texas that are not looking at surface concerns. They want the well directly over the target.

The proposed pad location is on a small reservoir and would impact the dam.

The proposed pad is on a 25 year flood plane.

The proposed pad location is on the rim of a coulee in identified big game crucial winter range.

The proposed pad is within 200m of an active ferruginous hawk (sensitive status species) nest.

These are covered by our current Standard Stipulations to protect other resources and industry should be aware of these before any on-site tour. Most of the time they are surprised when we ask to have them moved. They complain about having to spend extra dollars if they are not permitted to drill directly above the target (obviously, they are less likely to hit the target as they move further from it as well).

I don't want to paint with a broad brush, because many of the operators are very familiar with current stipulations and we are able to mitigate and protect other resouces. Unfortunately this is not always the case.

Don't know if I answered your question, but there is a bit of information from my neck of the woods.

Edit-BTW, the article states that thousands of deer were collared. Not the case, but thousands of points were identified by GPS from the collared deer.

Here is some info. directly from the 2004 report-

Although this study is proposed to run through 2007, results to date suggest that winter mule deer habitat selection and distribution patterns have been affected by natural gas development, specifically road networks and well pads. During the first two years of development the mule deer in our sample selected habitats with low to moderate road denisties away from well pads. And, during the first three years of development, mule deer selected habitats away from well pads.

Whether these trends in habitat selection are temporary (ie., deer become acclimated) or long-term are unknown at this time.

While results from our resource selection ananlyses suggest natural gas development in the [area] has affected mule deer habitat use, no statistically significant changes in survival or reproduction have been detected.

Thanks MTMILLER. I was curious why directional drilling was such a problem. We, miners, have been doing directional drilling for ore reserves for years, and I've seen drectional "bore holes" drilled that hit within feet of the projected target from great distances away. It cost money to directional drill from any distance, but those are the costs of doing business. I was a driller once.

Sako you want Growth? Come down to phx. metro.. hop on any freeway in the morning or evening ...you will see some growth....then tell me how much you want growth...not trying to be rude to ya.....just be carefull what you wish for.

MtM, I couldn't get either of the muledeer PDFs to open. Is it my computer or the link (probably my computer).

10-bear,

It opened for me earlier, but not now. I am guessing the problem is on their end and will be solved eventually.

Thanks, at least I know it's not my computer this time. :rolleyes: I am always interested in these kind of studies, but I'm curious why they don't do followup studies over time. Everybody knows that disturbance will effect the use/response/migration of wildlife. What are the responses to the same disturbance in the same location over 5, 10, 15, 20,..... years?

cjcj said:
Sako you want Growth? Come down to phx. metro.. hop on any freeway in the morning or evening ...you will see some growth....then tell me how much you want growth...not trying to be rude to ya.....just be carefull what you wish for.

No offense taken. Dont get me wrong, not wishing for a Pheonix here by any means. I was born and raised here and its hard to see the schools you went to as a child being closed down due to no kids to go to them. Cant sell your home because noone new in town to buy it. Eat at the same restraunt for 20 years because noone new to open something new. And one noone thinks about, your children have to move away to different parts of the country because there is no work for them here. At one time 97% of all the High School graduates in the state of Wyoming moved away from Wyoming to live their life. I graduated with 375 in my class I know of about 20 that are still here. So to see growth is great. I only wish that my own daughter will be able to stay in these parts so I can see her develope her family here and my freinds children too. I am sorry but that is more important to me than deer having to walk a different route to their wintering grounds. Pains me to say it yes, but its true.

Hunting, camping, fishing, hiking, all the outdoor activities are indeed important to Wyomings economics. Are they as important as industry? hate to say it but not even close. If it wasnt for the industries here we would have state income taxes, higher sales taxes, school & book fees for our children to attend public schools, ect. Just go into business for yourself and you will see real fast how important these things become. I dont see how ranchers have the say they do though. I would have to say they dont do much for the economics. Outdoors people often think they are Gods great gift to states economies but they arent much of anything. The taxes spent on goods for the hunt, even big ticket items like guns dont amount to much. In fact you could take an entire years worth of what sportspeople and associated businesses pay out in taxes and it would maybe equivilate to 1 or 2 DAYS of what industries pay out. Monies from licenses dont help the state in any way other than wildlife management and creating a few jobs but again, not enough jobs to amount to any big portion. There is probably what, enough people that work for the WG&F to fill maybe 2 decent sized plants or factories? Thats why they arent mentiond, they dont amount to enough to matter. Again sad but true.

I stood by my Dad(he was president at the time) with the WWF when this Oil expansion was trying to come in and fought for the best technologies being required to be used. I even sat and discussed this with my Dad and the Governer of Wyoming at our dinner table. The oil industry wanted to be drilling and expanding at a rate 10x what it is able to thanks to our efforts in fighting for some control. It could be even better than what they are doing but count your blessings guys, were alot better off than what you think.

So do you want a lot of industry and no growth? Is that possible? I understand that it would be great to have little growth and everyone have a great paying job. I guess you could have your kids grow up in an inner city highschool and worry about drugs, gangs, etc.

I realize having a good paying job is important but so are the little things, like being able to take your kids on a hike, seeing wildlife.

I understand the point you are making about industry being important but don't overlook what you do have in a smaller community with fewer jobs and people.

I like the small town atmoshpere, no doubt about that. I live in one of the smallest towns in the area. The point I have been trying to get across is that in this little corner of our country, our way of life was dieing. The industry moving in has bought new life to our communities. Case in point where I live. The grocery store and hardware stores closed due to people leaving and not enough left to sustain business. But in the last 6 months, new houses have sprung up, lots are being sold, and money is being made. No new stores yet, but with growth that might change.

Were not talking about them drilling a rig on top of the Tetons, were talking a near endless rolling sage brush flats. Not necassarily the country you take your kids hiking in. Not that that makes the land any less important but life is full compromises and I feel compromising some sage brush plains for sustaining human life, communities, and culture while still preserving what makes Wyoming Wyoming is a good trade off.

As for drugs, sad to say but me have way more than our share of drugs here. I beleive in what my late Grandpa used to say,"Take them hunting and fishing and out of trouble they will stay!"

How big of an 'industry' is tourism for WY? I'm getting the numbers are higher than anyone would want to believe.

Sako, what you seem to want would be great, but I'm not sure it's possible. High paying jobs, low cost of living, and small towns don't usually equate except with looonngg commutes. If your children want to stay in WY I'm sure they can find a career there, they just have to pick a field that is in demand.

What would your late grandpa say about not having any hunting or fishing? The spot where he got that nice mule deer may become the spot where the platform stands and the road is built on. I'm not anti-business but I feel you really have to weigh the true cost of industry. The true cost may be less game, fishing, etc. The problem is once it's gone you won't get it back. I truely understand the need for jobs to sustain a city (town). However, I don't minimize the cost associated with industry and the problems that are left once "industry" leaves. I live in an area where there are quite a few superfund cites. The tax burden increases as well as health problems that are created before and during the clean up. It seems a small price to pay to have a deer re-routed or lose a few deer here and there but once habitat is loss it takes a lot to get it back.

These are just a few things to look at.

Back