Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Day Dreaming

Wyoming. Red desert.

Ok, I’m going to be lazy and not google it...what’s the big draw with the Red Desert? Is it beautiful/unique terrain, lots of animals, big animals?? Just curious because I’ve seen it mentioned all over and those units require a ton of points to draw!

Ok, I’m going to be lazy and not google it...what’s the big draw with the Red Desert? Is it beautiful/unique terrain, lots of animals, big animals?? Just curious because I’ve seen it mentioned all over and those units require a ton of points to draw!

Beautiful country. Not necessarily the best unit for a Booner, but an amazing chunk of big sagebrush habitat extraordinary flanked by the Sierra Madres.

The main draw is the amount of public land where you can travel for days looking over goats and not see the end of public access. That is a huge part of why so many people want those tags. There is also a high caliber of goats in that region in regards to horn size. There are good numbers of goats there but nothing like NE Wyoming. If it were me, I would choose a tag and hunt private land in the following order of counties: Campbell, Sheridan, and Johnson. The biggest antelope I have ever seen year in and year out are in that region and the numbers are staggering the closer you get to Gillette.

If you limit it to public land, any tag in Carbon county would do me just fine.

Reactions: LCH
Hard to top that one.

A good friend of mine drew this hunt many years ago, pre internet. He and his two teenage sons hunted it, all killed nice bucks, and had the time of their lives.

I'm just wanting to draw the area where my family's farm is. Used to be a gimme, now not so much. Interesting how the number of applicants has increased over the years in different areas. mtmuley

Wyoming. Red desert.
Building points for my wife and I for this hunt. Don’t care a ioda about quality and plan on inviting several of our non-hunter friends out to experience the hunt and enjoy the country... I’m just hoping it won’t take 10+ pts to make it happen.

I'm just wanting to draw the area where my family's farm is. Used to be a gimme, now not so much. Interesting how the number of applicants has increased over the years in different areas. mtmuley

It’s amazing how antelope tag draws have changed over the last ten years.

Pretty sure Carbon County has produced more B&C antelope than any other county in North America hands down.

It’s amazing how antelope tag draws have changed over the last ten years.
Yep. We used to draw without fail until about 6 or 8 years ago. Just about the time of the big die off in the 700's. mtmuley

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back