Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Day at the Range

Man, you are making this hard!

I've got my own ammunition mysteries I can solve too. Casting bullets today in their pursuit.

@JLS, Finally made it into the Gun smith after my vacation. Smith ran the bore scope down the chamber and found nothing out of order. After explaining everything I have tried, along with the problem in general, his two recommendations were:
  • Try a different primer to see if the federal primers are causing the issue
  • Try a slower burning powder than BLC(2) or Varget

What is going to be a good slow burning powder for my set up? Lets look specifically at the 150g Barnes all copper bullet, I'm thinking maybe IMR 4895?

Maybe try RL 15. I can’t imagine it’s the primers. I use magnum primers in most every gun I load for. Is he/she thinking they are too hot?

May as well try it. I’d still give it a light polish with JB or Flitz if it were my gun.

That is a burr in the rear of the chamber. Probably rolled a chip while cutting the chamber. Probably just need to be polished out. Bring the cases with the scratches with you to show the gunsmith. Simple job to polish it out. Shouldn’t take long at all.
I agree with this regardless of what the gunsmith said. You gotta have a burr of some kind in the chamber. Normal handloading problems doesn't produce this kind of thing. I seriously doubt this will be solved with changing primers and powders. I hate to say it, but I think you should try another gunsmith.

It’s definitely not primers or powder. I’m with Brian.

I think I would take it to another gunsmith also. Primer or powders won’t change whatever is making those scratches on the brass.
Also a simple chamber polish would take very little time and eliminate that variable also.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back