Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Day at the Range

Alright, went back to the range today, yesterday there was too much driving rain...

Loaded up everything as before:
  • Hornady brass fire once, FL sized and trimmed back to spec
  • 44g of BLC2
  • 150g TTSX
  • Seated the bullet at 2.730 per the groups recommendations
First shot I fired was a control shot using some factory federal ammo. No sticky bolt, smooth going in just as smooth ejecting.

Now first round of the TTSX, bolt sticky. Always happens about with the bolt in the 3/4 position. Pulled out the case and put it back in the chamber, stiff going in, got stuck and had to use the cleaning rod to get it out...

Back to the drawing boards gents... Do we think its a powder issue then??

If it was once fired and full length sized, then it’s almost certainly excessive pressure. As mentioned above. Make sure they’re not being crimped in the seater die. Also, trim to the proper length or you chamber will crimp the case mouth onto the bullet when you chamber the round.

I'm no expert, but I've just been following my manual from nosler, is this not correct? View attachment 106626View attachment 106626
Alright, back to my Nosler manual... Here you see the trim length at 2.015, additionally, I use a quick trim device for .308 that is also set at the same value, so I can't shorten that up if I want to....

I went and cheeked the SAAMI definition for the 308, matches the Nosler book for case length. And assuming my gun would be built to the saami standard there should be no chance of crimping on the bullet, right?

Have you tried any other powder?? I not give that a quick try and see what happens, start at minimum charge.

Ya, those are the only two powders I have reloaded with so far, so I don't have any others on hand to try after that...

Alright, back to my Nosler manual... Here you see the trim length at 2.015, additionally, I use a quick trim device for .308 that is also set at the same value, so I can't shorten that up if I want to....

I went and cheeked the SAAMI definition for the 308, matches the Nosler book for case length. And assuming my gun would be built to the saami standard there should be no chance of crimping on the bullet, right?

Actually, 2.015 is the maximum case length. The trim to length is always shorter to allow for case stretching over several loadings.

How are you setting up your seating die? If done incorrectly it could be crimping the neck.

If everything is set up correctly, it could be the dies. I had a bad one for a .243.

Is this your first attempt reloading for this rifle? Have you reloaded for other rifles?

Actually, 2.015 is the maximum case length. The trim to length is always shorter to allow for case stretching over several loadings.

How are you setting up your seating die? If done incorrectly it could be crimping the neck.

If everything is set up correctly, it could be the dies. I had a bad one for a .243.

Is this your first attempt reloading for this rifle? Have you reloaded for other rifles?
I'll run through how I set that up when I get back home, I will say when I pulled the bullet on one of the ttsx bullets it was pretty dang hard to remove compared to a smooth lead bullet.

Have reloaded before for this gun with lead, still had sticky bolt then.

I also reload for my 243, I don't remember a sticky bolt with this, but I can go test that later as well to check.

Check your seater, as in completely set it up from scratch per the instructions. Try a couple of loads and see if they are different.

For the minimal cost, I’d buy a new die set. If you had a sticky bolt with other loads, the one constant involved is your dies. It’s not the chamber, because the factory load was fine.

I agree with JLS. If your other loads were sticky also something isn’t right. Probably setting up the seater die incorrectly or it’s a bad die.
Very common mistake when setting up the die is to set it up just like the sizing die.
You need to put a sized case in the shell holder and run the ram all the way up. Screw the die down until it touches the brass then back the die out a turn. That’s normally how most seater dies are setup.

Wrong! If your seating die is set up wrong it may well crimp the bullet!

Wrong! If your seating die is set up wrong it may well crimp the bullet!

I'm not going to say I'm an expert, but it seems to be this would be pretty dang hard to mess up for seating the bullet... Also note it indicates you cannot crimp with this die. I took the top off the die as well and I really can't imagine a way for it to crimp the case.

Have you measured out your full length resized cases compared to the factory ones?

Specifically where the crimp would be where the case meets the bullet.

You could call Lee and see what they have to say. They may have some insight. If you want to get a new die I’d go with Redding dies.

Thinking just the seating die, nothing else? Particular brand to try?

Think its worth calling Lee's and see if they have any insight?

I buy Redding myself. I'd just spring for a new set. RCBS are only 20 some bucks, and Redding are about 45. Cheaper than a new action.

Have you measured out your full length resized cases compared to the factory ones?

Specifically where the crimp would be where the case meets the bullet.
Just measured the factory ammo with the bullet still in it, looks like its about 2.004"

Maybe I should had trim a case a little deeper and see if that does anything

Does a non loaded, FL resized piece of brass chamber easily?
Does a loaded FL resized round chamber easily?
Are you trimming cases to 2.005”?

Back