Daughter's Antelope Tag filled

Nemont

We headed to the ranch Friday evening knowing that we couldn't hunt Saturday because we had to help move cows. After a long day of moving cows and braving the chilly wind we hit the hay. Getting up early Sunday morning took very little effort for my two kids because they could smell waffles and sausage cooking.

PA140322.jpg

We headed up to an area that we knew held a lot of antelope but the terrain made things a little difficult to stalk because it was so open.

We did see where the beaver had so few trees out on the prairie that they took to eating the fence posts.

PA140325.jpg

Anyway we set up the spotting scope and immediately starting seeing antelope. We count 5 different bunches from our vantage point. Three blown stalks and a missed 250 yard shot later my daughter suggested lunch was in order.

As we ate a bite I spotted a herd moving from along the horizon. They came out of the little draw on the left.
PA130312.jpg

I knew we could move in without them seeing us. I told my dauther that we had to get to a little rise about 500 yds in front of us to cut them off . We walked quickly the first 400 yds and then crawled about the last one hundred. She set up the bipod and then we peeked over the edge. Sure enough two bucks standing broadside at 75 yds. I tell her this is it. She takes aim, steadys and nothing, she forgot to load a round. So she cycles a round takes aim and boom down goes the little buck.

He isn't very big but he is a trophy in her and my eyes.

Here is the hunter and support crew.

PA130308.jpg

Her and her first big game critter.
PA130311.jpg

she was so happy that she didn't even mind playing bird dog for me on the way home to shoot a few pheasants.
PA140349.jpg

Nemont, Thanks for the pics and tell your daughter congrats! It's always nice to see the youth out in the field and spending quality time with family and friends. Antelope are sure fun to hunt. Congrats on the pheasants as well.

Congrats to both you and your daughter and thanks for sharing your weekend by way of photos and the story.

Nemont... Great pictures and looks like a great day in the field with the family. Way to go to your daughter on her antelope. Kepp up the good work.

WFGinNM said:
That is great, is that rifle a Mohawk 600?

--Bill

No, it is a Ruger M77 243. I have had it for years. The stock is cut down to be short enough for youth/women.

Nemont

Now that is simply a great set of pictures of a great little hunter. Congrats to both the young huntress and Dad!!

Wow, even Jose was moved by that. Congratulations Nemont and family!! Those are awesome trophy pictures, trophy memories and a trophy story too!

Big time congratulations!

Can you trap beavers or hunt them there or are they protected? Will they stay or move on? What a bummer, eat a fence post to cut it down and not get to use it.

JoseCuervo said:
Very nice job. Amazing how much the kids have grown. Congratulations to the entire hunting crew.

Jose,
It seems my kids are growing up right before my eyes. The crew says hello.

Tom,

The beaver are completely off limits as my inlaws believe that they help keep water for cattle. In addition the beaver ponds on the ranch offer great early season duck hunting. I don't remember ever seeing them chewing on wooden fence posts before.

Nemont

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back