Caribou Gear

Daughter Deer Hunt Question

gdgwp

My oldest daughter, 5, wants to go deer hunting with me. She wants to go so we can "get more deer sticks". She was in tears when we ran out last week. How should I introduce this to her? Do I wake her up early and do exactly what I normally do? Or do I head out later in the morning just to introduce her to the sport, all the while knowing we may not have any luck. Another thought would be to take her out for an evening hunt that may have more success than a midday sit. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Info: We're in South Dakota so we probably have about a quarter mile walk from the truck to the blind. I'll take her archery as the weather should be nicer than rifle season.

Just get her out when ever you can. She just wants to spend some time with Dad as much as anything.

Bring her something that keeps her occupied. Some may look down on me for this but I will let my kids play on my phone during downtimes. Anything you can do to stay longer and keep her comfortable. Snacks, drinks, warm cloths. Make the entire ordeal about her, getting a deer is secondary (Success is important and will really in grain the love) but I have found most that my kids just wanted to be with dad. There is something about getting 1 on 1 time with your kids even more if you have more than 1. Making it all about the kids may mean leaving early at times, laughing in the blind, etc.

My kids are 13, 11 and 8. All three killed deer last year. My older boy started it off by killing a doe when he was 7. At the time I wasn't sure how into it he was but I didn't care I just kept taking him. The middle one was always into it but now after killing 5-6 deer 2 of which are bucks with his bow I think the older one is hook as much if not more than all of them. He is the first one to help with stands, cameras etc. He is pretty jacked for this season.

My daughter killed a 5 point with a x bow last year. One of my favorite hunts of all times. Enjoy the ride my friend I cant think of anything more rewarding that getting my kids involved with the outdoors. It becomes an addiction to me. I want them to succeed more than I ever wanted myself.

My biggest advice for doing anything with kids is try to keep it fun and set your expectations appropriately. Evening is definitely better than morning, just so you don't have to rush to get her out the door. Make sure you have snacks, she stays warm, and can keep her entertained... also in line with the expectations point, not only don't worry about getting a deer but don't be surprised if you have to bail on the hunt early because she can't sit still for hours.

Key is to make the experience enjoyable so that she will want to come back.

Just keep in mind it's more an outside day with Dad than a serious hunting trip. Bring along something comfortable for her to sit on; it will extend her tolerance quite a bit. If it was me, bowhunting, I'd be inclined to pass up almost any deer I saw, as a five year old may not be prepared for the reality of bloodtrailing and field dressing.

I took my son out a few times when he was little; I got more out of watching his reactions to a nice buck trailing a hot doe right past us than I ever could have by shooting it. He never had much interest in hunting, which is okay by me. His choice. My daughter took a buck on her first hunting season, and never hunted again. Again, her choice. This fall I'm hunting with her husband. If he gives up after the first year, I'll have to think it's me doing something wrong, I guess.

Just go man

My wife carried our youngest daughter into a lion tree at 9 months old. That was January of 2016.

My oldest daughter is 13. She has been on lion trees, deer hunting, antelope hunting, elk hunting.

I will take my youngest with me in the fall to run the hounds and go fishing. She doesn't care, just wants to hang out.

Last year, we went to South Dakota for my oldest to go deer hunting. Our youngest is now three and found a white tail shed on that trip, right after the oldest killed her deer, and we were walking to it.

Scale it down, make it fun, forget about you and what you want.

There were nine antelope skinned at our house last year. Both daughters came out and watched or helped. Only one so far this year.

If I ask what we do with deer (elk, chickens, cows, whatever), her response is we eat it. They know where food comes from and seem to have no problems with it.

Just my observation with kids (most new hunters for that matter)..walking in when it's the dark of night is a lot more unnerving than walking out after it's become night. I think it may be a part of being there and experiencing nature calm down, slow down and being a part of the calmness. It sets a tone of being quite and being at ease when you quietly exit, putting nature to bed.

At least let that be what she thinks !

I kinda shy away from the extra entertainment aspect with gadgets. Snacks, drinks....certainly.

The entertainment is to get them to LISTEN, to LOOK.

A cheap-ass set of bino's that is Their's goes a long, long way.

"I just say something move over there" ! 'What is it" ? "I can't see it Dad". "It's just past the little yellow leaf".

Keep them ENTERTAINED.

Yeah, it was just a squirrel, but they were engaged.

Another Story:

17 yrs ago we among the first to move into a new development that had been broken farm/woodland near an urban area. I knew there had to be deer somewhere near by.

I took my son (ago 7) for a short walk into the woods, somewhat close to dusk, sat us down against a big pine, draped a USMC poncho liner over us and handed him my grunt call.

"Have at it son"

The orchestra of ungodly Blarts, Blops, Squeeks and Squacks the came out of that boys rendition of some REO Speedwagon song singed my arm pit hair!

But I'll be [email protected] less than 2 minutes we were surrounded by a herd of does & yearlings, at 15-20 yds...all Big eyed, Very Attentive, Stomping hooves, Snorting !

Scared the Sh!t out him.

He's never forgotten it though.................

Last edited:
I've been taking my son hunting with me since he was 3 or 4. He just wanted to come and sit in a stand with me at first. I honestly thought he would be bored and brought a tablet for him to play on but he surprised me. He wanted to spend more time looking through the binos and spotting squirrels than anything else. Thats not to say he doesnt eventually get bored on the longer sits and go to the tablet but its a lot less than I expected. He also killed his first deer last year with a youth 243.

I guess my best advice is whatever you do make sure its enjoyable. Dont take her when the conditions are miserable, even if you go. I dont take my son if its too hot, too cold, or raining even when he wants to go. I choose good weather days so that I know he will have fun. Once he gets hooked, I'll start introducing him to those more extreme days.

Make it fun, and have a plan for when mother nature calls.

When our daughter was 5-6 I took her out to sit with me on her first deer hunt. I had a backpack full of coloring books, pistachios, gold fish crackers, and lots of hot chocolate. That last one put us in a bind as that stuff moved through her fast!! Fortunately, there was a downed log near our blind. We started by the end of it and by the time she'd used it 3-4 times I started to think we were gonna run out of room on the log. Around 10:30 that morning a really nice buck strolled by and I made a decent shot on it. While tracking it, I let her "find" it and she was pretty excited. She's now 11 and she'll go sit and dove hunt with me every fall, but she doesn't care to shoot anything but paper. She likes the venison sticks we make, as well as the chops and jerky, but I doubt she'll ever kill a deer. It's a little tough for me to come to grips with the likelihood she won't be a hunter, but I'll still love her!

Make it fun.
This has to be first and foremost. Take care of that part of the rest will fall into place.

Ground blinds are great for taking kids. If you don't have one, it'd be money well spent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back