Darn knees

I won’t give advise, I’ll just tell you what worked for me. I’ve had horrendous knee pain since I was 20, I’m now 47. 3 years ago, I went to the surgeon and begged him to cut me open. He said there was nothing torn, nor wore out, just tons of inflammation. I struggled along 6 more months, reading and researching inflammation reduction.
Consistently, I kept finding common themes. Wheat and processed sugar. I eventually made the decision to give it a try.
When I gave it a try, I was sick for 5 days, no energy, falling asleep mid-conversation, upset stomach. I woke up on the 6th day, clear minded and full of energy. Turns out, my body had been detoxing from all the crap I’d been fueling it with. A few days later, I realized I had no knee pain. At all.
almost 3 years on, I’ve not had ANY knee pain and as a side benefit, I’ve lost 70lbs (in 10 months) and kept it off.
it’s not easy. I haven’t had a slice of bread or a cracker or a piece of candy in nearly 3 years. But I’m healthy, lean(ER) stronger and more pain free than I’ve ever been in my adult life.
Good luck in your journey.

I won’t give advise, I’ll just tell you what worked for me. I’ve had horrendous knee pain since I was 20, I’m now 47. 3 years ago, I went to the surgeon and begged him to cut me open. He said there was nothing torn, nor wore out, just tons of inflammation. I struggled along 6 more months, reading and researching inflammation reduction.
Consistently, I kept finding common themes. Wheat and processed sugar. I eventually made the decision to give it a try.
When I gave it a try, I was sick for 5 days, no energy, falling asleep mid-conversation, upset stomach. I woke up on the 6th day, clear minded and full of energy. Turns out, my body had been detoxing from all the crap I’d been fueling it with. A few days later, I realized I had no knee pain. At all.
almost 3 years on, I’ve not had ANY knee pain and as a side benefit, I’ve lost 70lbs (in 10 months) and kept it off.
it’s not easy. I haven’t had a slice of bread or a cracker or a piece of candy in nearly 3 years. But I’m healthy, lean(ER) stronger and more pain free than I’ve ever been in my adult life.
Super good advice! I got back to my football weight of 250 (but it seemed to have succomed to gravity!) and decided to go on a Keto diet that cut out carbs, white stuff like sugar, and found that not only did I lose weight, great for knees, the inflammation in my hands went away. No hope for the knees as I have torn both ACL's and dislocated my patella, partially tore my patella tendon leading to 8 surgeries starting at 19. I lost over 40 LBs, and had lower blood pressure. Some people are super sensitive to gluten as an inflammatory agent, my homeopath has me taking several things, especially turmeric and ginger and both help. I do a lot of roping and am on horses a bunch so stiff hands were a problem (probably broken most of my fingers, that's another story).

I've recently been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, which so far means a couple sores and aching knees and hands. The hands I can deal with, but you all know how important knees are this time of year! I've been scouting a good deal and my knees feel ok while I'm going, but are really stiff in the mornings. I ice them when I can and try to eat well and exercise daily. Are there any other arthritic hunt talkers out there? What do you do to keep you moving?
I have family that are heavy lifters and physical therapists - they say the best thing is to keep moving and to strengthen the muscles around the joints, i.e. if it's your knee, do exercise that strengthens the muscles around your knee. Sounds counterintuitive but I trust them.

Best thing you can do is STABILIZE the knee, so strengthen the quads, IT bands, and everything else involved in balance. These are some excercises my PT had me doing:

- Body weight squats (do not use weights). Start on the floor, move to standing on 2-3 inches of foam, max out on a BOSU ball if you can.

- IT band stretches, "figure 4 stretch" and others, google it and do them

- Balance excercises. Stand on one foot, knee slightly bent, butt back so knee is behind the toes. With the other leg hold it out infront of you, now slowly swing it around as far as you can, then back. As you get better move to foam then BOSU ball

- grab a rubber band long/short enough so you have light tension with feet shoulder width apart, now squat back and start side stepping, slow out with right foot, then slow in with left, repeat all the way across the room and back, left foot out, right foot in.

Bikes/spinning are GREAT, good strength, low/no impact.

Best thing you can do is STABILIZE the knee, so strengthen the quads, IT bands, and everything else involved in balance. These are some excercises my PT had me doing:

- Body weight squats (do not use weights). Start on the floor, move to standing on 2-3 inches of foam, max out on a BOSU ball if you can.

- IT band stretches, "figure 4 stretch" and others, google it and do them

- Balance excercises. Stand on one foot, knee slightly bent, butt back so knee is behind the toes. With the other leg hold it out infront of you, now slowly swing it around as far as you can, then back. As you get better move to foam then BOSU ball

- grab a rubber band long/short enough so you have light tension with feet shoulder width apart, now squat back and start side stepping, slow out with right foot, then slow in with left, repeat all the way across the room and back, left foot out, right foot in.

Bikes/spinning are GREAT, good strength, low/no impact.
Where is the video in your camo lulu lemon yoga pants?

good on ya,,dont tell your doctor tho
anyway,,my research led to a common theme and its very simple,,just needs lots of dedication eat fruit and nothing else,,youll lose weight and your body will feel 300% better

While I'm still just 35 and had no knee injuries yet, for the last year I started feeling discomfort in my knees during and after long stalks - especially if I was chasing the daylight or through deep snow. Also I started having a crackling noise from one of them recently. And I really don't want to ruin my knees...

For this reason I went to a physiotherapist a few days ago. She took a look at my them, they were fine, but also at other parts of my body that work with the knees. Like... if you buttocks are weak it will affect your knees, if your feet are flat it's gonna affect your knees, etc. There are a gazillion things in tandem here, and improving on other things can make your knees suffer less.

So now I'm doing daily exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee (I don't know what the exercise is called, but I stand on one leg and go up and down veeeeery slowly). Amongst other exercises.

I'm also losing some weight. I'm 6' and was about 195lbs a month ago, now I'm at 180 and plan to go down another 5. These extra pounds become a lot of extra weight over 10'000 steps.

Great info on this thread. I've been staying active and doing some suggested stretches. I've put on some miles in some tough country this year and have been doing great. Thanks for all the contributions everyone.

I've recently been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis, which so far means a couple sores and aching knees and hands. The hands I can deal with, but you all know how important knees are this time of year! I've been scouting a good deal and my knees feel ok while I'm going, but are really stiff in the mornings. I ice them when I can and try to eat well and exercise daily. Are there any other arthritic hunt talkers out there? What do you do to keep you moving?

Sorry if this has been said already, and it may be controversial but I whole heartedly believe in cbd cream. I started using it on my knees in July as I was ramping up pack weight and training miles. CBd cream every morning and my knees began to feel great, if I missed a day the pain would be back.

In my 30s and 40s I used to play basketball everday until my knees started hurting
In my 50s, I used to run and that eventually hurt both knees.
In my 60s, now I hike every other day instead of running.
Fish oil (2 tablets with each meal) helped my joints....glucosamine did not.

My knees have aged faster than the rest of me (well, almost the rest of me, there's that other one part...). In my 40's I was refereeing high level soccer, and did the rest of the wearing out on my knees. The pain was constant, and I took the dive into using DMSO. The stuff is fantastic - almost instant relief. Side effects are garlicy breath which your mate and friends might notice, and you need to be sure you are clean where you apply it because it is such a good solvent. The downside - it works so well that you can continue doing damage to the joint because you don't feel the pain. My approach these days, after three knee surgeries, is to tote the DMSO with me to camp, and use it if I need it.

Finding that I have to take care. Coming out of the woods with a quarter packed, I took what I thought was a never-mind little fall on the way down the mountain. Caught myself, and basically went down to one knee. Well, the swelling in that knee took about three weeks to go away, using naproxin and walking to stretch it out. Going to have to notch it up a bit on fitness, and down a bit on poundage. But I was very encouraged to see the post by a 75-year-old earlier that encourages me that I do have some years left.

I am 72 and I truly "feel" your pain, I use tylenol arthritis and Voltaren cream. It takes the edge off but I haven't found any total relief

Well, my fly tying river junky friend uses a thing called “pot butter”. It’s like a cream or ointment and he swears by it. Legal here in Michigan Gets him back in the river for short sessions Thought I’d throw that out there

I feel your pain, I am 43 and have worked with heavy equipment for over 20 years. I have arthritis in my neck, back, knees and hands. I usually feel fine after I get my day started. My problem comes while I'm trying to relax, most of my joints start to throb and stiffen up. I can usually tell when the weather is about to change due to the pain in my joints. I am the." Throw a cold beer on it guy"! Typically. As of the last few years I have changed careers, taken supplements and changed my diet. I do take fish oil for my cholesterol and I also take magnesium oxide. The magnesium oxide helps with joint pain and I have noticed that I don't wake up in the middle of the night with painful joints as often. The only other thing I found that helps when I hurt is to take an hour or so in a hot tub.

I'm glad this thread led to so much great info. My doctors now think its just psoriasis and inflammation; I don't have the markers for arthritis, so I'm very relieved. I still have knee pain when I sit too much, so I've been hiking or running everyday. Just one more excuse to go outside!

Reactions: trb
Back