Caribou Gear Tarp

Dark Timber Blacktail

Joe Hulburt

Since I was able to arrange the last 5 days of the season to hunt Blacktails I was determined to try and find a 4 point this year. I've killed a couple with my bow years ago in Southern Oregon but here on the coast we don't get many. I've lost count of how many blacktails I've killed but had never killed a 4 point with a rifle. I've killed numerous big heavy 6 1/2 year old Three's and Forks and have always felt fortunate to do so but I really wanted to find a big antlered buck this year. Passed three little buck on Monday bringing my total deer spotted in the hills to almost 10 for the season. Deer hunting around here is getting tough! I could kill nice bucks on our property every year but they are fairly tame and it's not the experience I am looking for, at least yet. Besides, I gave a guy who is limited to using a walker permission to hunt our property this year and I'm hoping he can acquire himself some venison and don't want to mess that up.

Tuesday morning the rain and wind hit and I was optimistic if I slinked around in the dark timber I might just get a chance to look up and see a white face staring at me. I had been going for several hours circumnavigating the top of one of my favorite mountains and had yet to see a deer and wasn't seeing much sign. Still hunting in the rain and wind now that I have to wear glasses to see can be very frustrating and I was to the point of just kind of going thru the motions thinking about getting home to the warm fire when I rounded a Douglas Fir and saw a white spot about sixty yards away. I knew it was a mature buck right away but thru up the wet binoculars to double check and was able to see enough to get my hands shaking. Been hunting blacktails on that mountain for 42 years and it never gets old!

One perfect shot took out both lungs and the top of his heart! I was able to get him all out in one trip but I was beat when I reached my truck. As big bodied blacktail as I have killed and the second biggest antler wise. To say I am thankful would be an understatement!

Image 11-5-20 at 11.10 AM.jpg

Image 11-5-20 at 11.10 AM (1).jpg

Unbelievable deer! Way to go! That takes hard work and dedication to find those deer. You definitely know what you're doing.

That is an incredible buck! Congratulations! I don't think people realize what a HUGE accomplishment this is. Those big blacktail's have got to be some of the hardest critters to hunt.

I bought my son a blacktail tag for the coast this year and it's our first time hunting them. We've been out 6 times and finally yesterday we saw our first deer. 3 does and we watched them from 9:30am until dark hoping a buck would show up. No luck. We'll give it another go this weekend.

That is an incredible buck! Congratulations! I don't think people realize what a HUGE accomplishment this is. Those big blacktail's have got to be some of the hardest critters to hunt.

I bought my son a blacktail tag for the coast this year and it's our first time hunting them. We've been out 6 times and finally yesterday we saw our first deer. 3 does and we watched them from 9:30am until dark hoping a buck would show up. No luck. We'll give it another go this weekend.
Good luck! When I was a kid it was common to see 20 plus blacktail on a morning hunt even during poor conditions. It's a lot harder to get young hunters interested now days when it's almost like your out there looking for unicorns.

Good luck! When I was a kid it was common to see 20 plus blacktail on a morning hunt even during poor conditions. It's a lot harder to get young hunters interested now days when it's almost like your out there looking for unicorns.
Thank you. That is so true. My son was so excited to just see some deer yesterday.

Very well done!! Congrats!! Kinda sad to not see the 30-30 in the pic. ;)

A blacktail is on my short list, just can't decide if I want to hunt country like that. Never spent time in a forest like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back