Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Danner pronghorn or under armour bozeman speed freak 2.0?

midwesthunter

Looking at getting the next pair of boots for hunting all things out west. Won't be wearing these in my home state. I use knee high rubber boots. I'm torn between these two in an uninsulated version. Looking for reviews.

No idea about the under armour boots but I used to run Danner Pronghorns all the time. The last couple pair have been a disappointment. They don't have the fit the used to and now bother my ankles. They aren't great when conditions are wet either. I finally bit the bullet and went with Kennetreks. Love them.

Look into Kennetreks, Crispis, Schnees, Hoffman etc... Whatever fits best. Took me a long time to decide to drop that kind of money on a boot. It's worth it. mtmuley

Of the apparel for hunting - I think boots may be #1 for best money spent.

After investing in quality boots, mine are meindl's, my pronghorns became my cold weather work boots and no longer see the field. There is a reason nearly everyone on here will tell you to invest in boots and glass. Good luck in your decision.

I used danner pronghorns for years with no complaints. A few years ago I got a pair of menial's and they are fine. I do a lot of walking up and down (there is no flat land where i go in montana) and I really can say both boots were good for me.
As mentioned , try the pair on as fit is different for different boots.

Just yesterday I upgraded my boots to Crispi Idaho GTX uninsulated. Have been wearing Danner Bighorns for several years (very similar to Pronghorns but fit my feet better)....came home and did side by side try on....the Crispi Idaho has MUCH better foot stability, balance, and ankle support, and is slightly lighter weight than the Danner boot in the same size. I was fully prepared to return the Crispi if not significantly better, but the difference is immediately noticeable....I agree with others....try on Crispi, Kenetrek, etc. And then look for a deal on the one that fits you best.

I'm a huge danner fan. I have had hikers and work boots. I don't think the under armour are quite as nice. I have pronghorns and have had no issues. Depending on how much hunting/hiking you do they may be perfect. However, I recently bought a pair of meindls and I may never go back. I bought the ones Cabela's sells. It's tough to spend that kind of money but it's money well spent. The American made danners are much better than the foreign made models.

I was a huge Danner fan. Local Oregon Company which I supported for years. Had several pairs of Pronghorns. The last pair was a huge dissspointnent. I bought a pair of Danner Full Curl. Suppose to be their best boot. Disappointed again. Rubber protector around toe and outside of boot is coming off. Waterproof is questionable and the lacing is horrible as you can’t tighten them enough as they are so stiff. Had them 3 years with lots of miles. Traction is good that’s about it. Sorry to say I am switching to Kennetrek or something next time.

I've had the speed freak 2.0's as well as the UA Tanger 400's. The Tanger's served me well in Wyoming for 2 seasons. Ive since upgraded to the Crispi West River 400's that are sold exclusively through Scheels. I also tried on the Pronghorn's the same day I bought the Crispi's. Night and day difference as far as stability and support. You can get a pair of the Crispi's for under $300.

I have and still use Danner Pronghorns for going after birds and deer when I am on the prairie in western South Dakota. I used them for an elk hunt once in western Montana and it was pretty tough on my feet. Navigating steep terrain, scree fields/slopes, and rocks were not friendly with those boots. The midsole is just too flexible to offer a lot of stability that is often required on western mountainous type hunts. I took the advice of many and went with a higher end boot and ultimately ended with Lowa Tibet GTX. My feet fit them well and they work great on the few elk hunts since. I still love my pronghorns for pheasant hunting especially. Feel more like shoes. But everyone is different and some may not need the support as much as others. Whatever you get, don't overlook taking care of the leather and seams to help the boot last longer.

I have been using the pronghorns for a few years now, and for $150 they were a good deal, but My next pair will be either kenetreks or crispi.

I bought a pair of the UA boots for an elk hunt a few years ago. They fell apart in a couple places. Customer support was awesome, I sent them back, and they sent me a new pair. next year comes, that pair falls apart. I wore them with shoe goo to plug the hole for a couple years after. they're very comfortable, but not durable. waterproofing is suspect at best

just bought a pair of danner alsea boots. they seem pretty nice so far, but time will tell. Gore-Tex is working for now...

I bought a pair of the UA boots for an elk hunt a few years ago. They fell apart in a couple places. Customer support was awesome, I sent them back, and they sent me a new pair. next year comes, that pair falls apart. I wore them with shoe goo to plug the hole for a couple years after. they're very comfortable, but not durable. waterproofing is suspect at best

just bought a pair of danner alsea boots. they seem pretty nice so far, but time will tell. Gore-Tex is working for now...

I used to love UA speed freaks. They never were very durable but they've become even less durable it seems since they quite using actual Goretex and started own their own waterproofing material. But they are mighty comfortable right out of the box, the pre-bozeman models were even more comfortable.

I've since bought a pair Zamberlan's that im very happy with and they will serve me well for many years. My buddy has been using Cripsi and has been equally happy with those. Beware though, Both of these companies have lesser quality boots produced in Malaysia or the like, Not Italy. These lesser boots are not lesser in price either. (Crisp Summit for example)

I have a pair of UA boots (though mainly wear my Bates) for work and another for spring / fall hunts. Mostly enjoy their light weight and waterproofing has not been a problem, least yet.
I thought those new hiking UA boots would be decent though seems I'm hearing more and more short comings for them.

With light weight and large volume production, the QA dips.
Unfortunate for Danner, same thing - imo.
Still have a few pair of the Danner, made in USA, boots and the quality is 3x's better than their foreign mass produced boots. Of course close to 2x's the cost...

Again, imo, $ in the apparel side of the outdoors is best spent on boots first.

I have a pair of UA boots (though mainly wear my Bates) for work and another for spring / fall hunts. Mostly enjoy their light weight and waterproofing has not been a problem, least yet.
I thought those new hiking UA boots would be decent though seems I'm hearing more and more short comings for them.

With light weight and large volume production, the QA dips.
Unfortunate for Danner, same thing - imo.
Still have a few pair of the Danner, made in USA, boots and the quality is 3x's better than their foreign mass produced boots. Of course close to 2x's the cost...

Again, imo, $ in the apparel side of the outdoors is best spent on boots first.

That's what surprised me about Crispi, No where on their website did it say certainly models were not Italian made. Only the tag on the tongue of the boot stated such. And the price was not substantially different.

I have owned a pair of Danner Pronghorn 400g insulated boots since 2010 and wore them for 4 seasons straight, and then only late season last 4 seasons and still are going strong.

In 2015 I bought a pair of Irish Setters un-insulated boots because I wanted a light comfortable pair for early season and hiking in summer. Wore them a ton in the summer camping, scouting, hiking and switched back to Danner later in season as it got colder. By the time November rolled around, the Irish setters tread was gone and they fell apart, didn't even last a year.

2016 I bought Under Armor since the guy in Sportsman's said they were a much better boot than the Irish Setter, lasted a little longer, but within 2 season they also wore out.

Last year I bought a pair of Crispi Idaho GTX and they are amazing boots. Danners still serve their purpose for me in later season, and still in great shape, but going forward I will only buy Crispi, Kenetrek, ect. End of the year I cleaned them up and they look barely used.

Going forward, I will always spend the extra money on boots. I could have bought a good pair back in 2015 and they probably would still be in great shape, rather than buying two sets of lesser quality boots. You will end up spending more in the long run and have more feet issues by buying cheaper boots.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back