Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Thanks to Hunt Talk and Advice for First Timers Hunting Wyoming Pronghorn

Ha! Yes that is the question. If we go back this year (pending wife permission) I think we will use the same approach we used last time. 1st choice trophy unit, 2nd choice - the same unit we hunted last year. We have 2 points and will most likely keep applying or buying them until we can hunt "the magic" units in the southwest part of the state. We do also have 2 mule deer points and I've got an elk point so I'll be building those. 2020's trip is a toss up between Wyoming Pronghorn, Wyoming Mule Deer and Montana Mule Deer. We shall see.

that’s a great strategy that I’ve been utilizing for several years. The great thing about it from my perspective is I’m able to gain experience hunting the animals in tough conditions so that when I finally go to hunt the “trophy units” with awesome access I can maximize the opportunity.

Looking back, however, I wish I’d have done some elk & mule deer hunting. I’ve done no elk hunting and only one mule deer hunt. Pronghorn being so fun and vacation time so scarce I’ve focused upon that and wish I had the sense of confidence w/ those species that I do w/ antelope.

One thing I’m changing going forward (beginning this fall) is I’m gonna make the effort & risk tag soup with elk & mule deer hunts in second choice areas or with antlerless tags in prime areas so I can build that confidence and avoid the very real risk of wasting points and trophy tags!

Awesome write up! I've really wanted to go Pronghorn hunting and this definitely answers some of the questions I have being a first timer! I really appreciate it!

Thanks for taking the time with your really great write up. Glad your diligent homework paid off!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back