d.i.y. elk

bow hunter

ok, so i have a question for you guys. if you could go to any of the o.t.c. states for elk hunting, where would you go? i was set on idaho, but now am thinking i should look into other areas. any input would be greatly appreciated. rob

On second thought,

Yeah, probably Colorado.
Idaho has wolf issues that cannot be fixed in the near future.

I'd say Colorado also.They do have the most elk.Never been to Idaho so I can't say much about hunting there.You could still put in for NM, which doesn't offer points, so everybody has the same chance of drawing.I guess it depends what your looking for; quantity or quality

No doubt there are big bulls in otc areas, but your odds are much better in limited draw areas for a trophy.For a first time elk hunt, I'd go to Co., and did.I still hunt there, but know my odds are better in other areas for trophy sized animals

Well, I havnt hunted Idaho but I have hunted Colorado for 14 years and have done quite well, this year we had seven guys in camp and killed 6 bulls. We have never killed anything big but we have fun anyway. If you are out of state, 24 hr drive for me, you dont have the time to locate the biggest bull on the mountain. If you just want to have a good time in some gorgeous country and have a shot at killing a bull id go colo. AS you hunt colo a couple times put in for AZ or WY or NM limited draw units till you hit the jackpot then not only will you have the tag you will have the experience.

Thats exactly how I play the game.It takes me 28 hours to get to my Co. hunting area.I HIGHLY recommend a bowhunt for elk.Then you will hear the bulls, and be able to come up with a game plan.Its a really exciting hunt.That explains why I'm willing to drive 28 hours to do it.CAUTION:after you go once, it'll be in your blood.Plan to go every year after that.Going on a diy elk hunt in Co. only runs around $1200 for everything if you drive, or less depending on how many guys and where your from
Good Luck with your hunt!!

yeah, i think bow hunting is the only way to go for me. i quit rifle hunting for big game when i was 15, and havent taken a rifle to the woods since then. im 34 now. so yeah, im pretty excited about it all. im looking at unit 62 pretty hard i think

Unit 62 could be a good choice, a lot of reasonably easy terrain and access. It is one of the most, heavily bowhunted units in the state, so just know that going in you will have company and will want to prescout regarding where you might get away a little bit and into the spots where the animals are going to get away from the crowds.

Unit 62 is one of the most heavily hunted unit in Colorado and with all the "prescouting" the animals are moved out well before archery season even starts. I feel one of the biggest problems with hunting today is so called "scouting". :(

You cant go wrong with any of the advice above but I have to wonder...why not put in for New Mexico and see if you get lucky in a trophy unit? If not, then go otc as suggested in the states or units suggested?

someone told me to look for the "flat tops" I got the impression that it is a region in Co. can someone help me with what unit it is in?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back