CWD found in Deer Semen

CWD has got a big foot hold here in Michigan, us hunters are doing every thing we can do to help stop the spread of it !!!!

As always, more research is needed...but I don't see this helping deer farms.

Not super surprising considering to date prions have been detected in most fluids and tissues that have been tested experimentally. The concentrations are not nearly as high as those found in CNS and lymphoid tissues, but they do appear to be widely distributed throughout the body and excreted via multiple routes. Interesting to see how this plays out for interstate sales of semen.

Frankensteining whitetails. And elk. Prions appreciate the assist to travel far and wide in a few days when prize pen-raised animals are shipped and then fenced in fences which eventually will fail so animals trot off to mingle with wild ones. Now, appears simply obtaining breeding materials can introduce issues. There should be a lawsuit for the harm done as a result.

Well #1 honoring the baiting band, reporting sick deer we see, turning in the heads of the deer we harvest to be tested, making sure the guts & carcass are properly disposed of it will all help, so as hunters that's some of the things we can do !!!

Well #1 honoring the baiting band, reporting sick deer we see, turning in the heads of the deer we harvest to be tested, making sure the guts & carcass are properly disposed of it will all help, so as hunters that's some of the things we can do !!!
What is any of this doing to stop CWD?

Its not. These are feel good measure making us think we are "Taking action" Eery state with CWD, does this stuff and its ineffective infall of them.

Buy hey! "at least we are doing something" :D :rolleyes:

Why would you listen to educated, trained profesional biologists, who study CWD, implement plans then measure and study the results. After which they will most likely change and adapt based on their findings. All the while admiting that they dont have all the answers and their knowledge of the disease is fluid and evolving. When you can listen to internet blowhards know it alls on hunting forums?
Biology, scientists, studys......ha ha, who needs that that!!

Anybody notice the picture of the "deer" on the article? That sure ain't no whitetail!

I loved the deer farmer's quote at the end, ""We could go in one direction and say that this is unacceptable to have any prions in semen, or we could take a step back and say let's try to figure out exactly what this means," he said.".....Are these people nuts? take a step back...meaning let's continue to spread this stuff all over until we gather more data?

A mule deer I tagged in eastern Colorado this year tested positive for CWD. He looked like a rather health 4x4 muley and still tested positive.

I was happy to get him out of the herd to keep him from spreading the disease though. Maybe that "did something to help" who knows

In the time it takes to read everyone's opinions about the article about the article written by scientists you could have already read the key points from the actual journal article. If you've made it down to my comment, go read the actual peer reviewed article written by the scientists who spent the time doing the research and publishing....I guarantee you will be much the better for it! Ignore the opinions from 95% of everyone else on CWD 👍 and stay literate.

Stay Sharp made a really good post on Dec. 21 under sportsmen issues regarding CWD. Definitely worth a read

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back