Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Custom Rifles

How much would/have you spend/t on a custom rifle that would be your "go to" rifle?

• None - have no interest in custom rifles

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • $1,500 to $2,500

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • $2,500 to $3,500

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Over $3,500

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Most of my rifles are built off the mauser or 1917 action. It costs a tad bit more but if I buy a factory rifle, I send it off to be changed to my liking anyways so I figure I might as well start out from scratch on the get go.

I try to do as much work myself.

Heres a 375taylor I'm putting together right now. Since this pic, I have done alot to the stock. Its being built on a VZ-24 action

375taylor001.jpg

Heres the last one I put together. its a 416rem on a 1917 action. Right now its down at a smith in the lower 48 having some metal work done. I thought I was done with it but I cant leave well enough alone.

416rem1.jpg

here's a 3 shot group pic of my 2nd time shooting my 300 WBY McWhorter Rifle-

although it looks off center it's not, it's just how I set the target on the washing machine to take the pic and my wife had clothes all over so I had to turn it--

anyway I will say that I never expected to buy a custom rifle as I continually tinker with my guns also, but I just got a burr up my butt to have one and I bought it---wow am I impressed and highly recommend McWhorter Rifles to anyone who wants to drop the coin---they were great to deal with and they did a great job getting this gun to me in time for my Montana hunt(unfotunately I didn't pull the trigger)

so I would say yes they are worth it, even if you tune your existing gun it will help---chris

Attachments

• IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 208
I haved always wanted to have a custom rifle built, but with the family and usually being on the mountain from August thru November I do not seem to have extra money for this type of thing. Maybe when the kids move out I can take on a project like that.:D

For now I just have my triggers worked, the rifle bedded and glassed if needed, and try to put on the best glass I can afford.

This is my latest and my go to rifle now. It is a Remington Sendero 7mm RUM, I put on a Burris Black Diamond 6-18 by 50mm with the balistic plex and 30mm tube, and Luepold rings and mounts. I had the trigger set at 2 pounds.

019.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

I don't currently have a custom but there are a few i have been thinking of. My go to gun is a Ruger 77 in 300 win mag with brake and trigger work. Shoots 1" or better so when l look at the $3000 for a rifle or two DIY hunts, the direction is clear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back