Custom Rifles

How much would/have you spend/t on a custom rifle that would be your "go to" rifle?

• None - have no interest in custom rifles

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • $1,500 to $2,500

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • $2,500 to $3,500

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Over $3,500

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To me getting the options I want on a 'custom' rifle is no different than having other high end gear. IMO, too many folks get hung on the word 'custom'. I will have a 'custom' rifle someday, but it's just because what I want isn't offered OTC. Besides, I'd rather own one or three that are just the way I want them than a safe full of factory rifles.

A custom rifle used to be the only way without a lot personal know how and effort to get a M.O.A. rifle. Not so today. Modern manufacturing is really good and the recent trend of putting decent triggers on factory rifles has jumped leap years. Now you are just nibbling around edges most of the time spending a lot of money for very little improvement. I do not like the pressure molded tupperware a lot of compaines still use but put a good stock on it and it is hard to beat a factory rifle.

Having said all that, I in no way rule out the "want" or "project" factor. Sometimes a guy just wants something special or wants to tinker with a project and to that I say
"go for it!":D

Many production rifles out there that will hang with the 'high dolla' pieces when topped with quality well fastened glass.

A rifle is a tool and I don't want to feel guilty using mine as a paddle goin' up sheet creek if need be.

Granted, if money were no object I'd probably buy a purdy rifle. Really, what good is it to be rich if you don't buy things that can't be justified with logic.

A rifle is a tool and I don't want to feel guilty using mine as a paddle goin' up sheet creek if need be.

...guesing you own the old style synthetic ruger.:);)

Many production rifles out there that will hang with the 'high dolla' pieces when topped with quality well fastened glass.
If talking just the ability to shoot groups, I agree. Nearly any/all factory rifles shoot well enough to hunt big game with at normal ranges. There are other features other than grouping ability that may or may not be better provided by a custom rifle or an aftermarket part. That to me is the allure...

Having said all that, I in no way rule out the "want" or "project" factor. Sometimes a guy just wants something special or wants to tinker with a project and to that I say
"go for it!"
Definitely not a 'high dolla' custom, but it's what I wanted at the time.
223Ackley.jpg

223Ackley3.jpg

I'll admit that I am a firearms nut and yes I have a few customs. They were built to my specs and are dependable and great shooters. With that said, some of today's gun makers put out outstanding products and I find myself buying the higher end's and being quite happy with them without having a 1-2 year wait. Dont get me wrong, I like any of them that shoot smokeless power, recently been playing with a $360 Rem SPSV that shoots very well, though it was bought for it's action as a donor.

AA- Good to see your around!!! I still have the case you let me 'earn' from your Rigby. Do you still have "my" 6.5 Gibbs??? :D

If talking just the ability to shoot groups, I agree. Nearly any/all factory rifles shoot well enough to hunt big game with at normal ranges. There are other features other than grouping ability that may or may not be better provided by a custom rifle or an aftermarket part. That to me is the allure...

Definitely not a 'high dolla' custom, but it's what I wanted at the time.
223Ackley.jpg

223Ackley3.jpg

...nice rig (what cal.?)...could use a jolly roger stamp though.:D;)

I'm with AA on the high end production platforms...recently bedded the action, floated the barrel, and trig'd a 700 LSS....have also wanted to sample Hill Country Accurizing's expertise and wares for a while now.

Guilty as Charged...

I have had two customs built by Lex at Rifles Inc in the past 4 years. Being a leftie, the factory options available are few/none compared to righties, so I gave in to the urge and I can tell you I am thrilled. My latest is a 338 RUM that I can shoot into the same hole at 100 yards. This rifle is WAY better than I am. That being said, I have a stock Browning in 300 WIN that I will never sell because it shoots. I agree with others that whatever you shoot should wear the best glass and mounts you can afford.

funny I stopped at the rifle range to check my gun today. A guy next to me was having a hell of a time getting his old 30-06 to sight in. im for a custom rifle.

I own several custom rifles and love them. The best part about customs is being able to pick your caliber, twist rate, overall weight, barrel length. Most factory rifles can be made to shoot well with some work and finding the right bullet. My thoughts are Ive waited years for tags and spent money on tags and mileage, what is a little more money to give you the best weapon for your needs. Plus confidence is everything so take whatever you believe in.

I am about to start my Custom AR project. I am going to build it from the ground up, take my time, have a lot of fun with it.

I gotta admit reading about the Borden rifles and what they are capable of does get my motor running. That being said, I went with the "high quality glass" theory on my current setup and haven't regretted it. The reality is I hunt on in an area with 300 yd shots are the maximum. I can get that done without going the custom route.

I'm guilty of gun abuse myself when the weather and terrain stink. If I had too custom of a rifle I might be thinking about protecting my gun when I should be figuring out how to tag that trophy.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back