Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Custom rifle questions

mdunc8

My dad has hinted at getting another rifle since I stole his when I moved out here, so I'm thinking about giving it back to him when I head home for Christmas. I've been toying with the idea of building a custom .270. I'm not a serious shooter and only practice enough to feel comfortable out to 300 yards. I'd like to spend some more time practicing in the future, so I can extend my range another 100 or 200 yards. However, I'm not sure a custom rifle is even realistic given my budget. I know it may not be necessary given my shooting limitations, but I like the idea of building my own gun rather than pulling something of the shelf at a store.

I plan on using my Cabelas points for the stock and optics (wish I could have used them for a shotgun, but a rifle is a little higher on the priority list right now).

I've looked into Pac-Nor and Krieger barrels. The price on both seem pretty reasonable and they have received great reviews from what I've read online. Any thoughts on one or the other?

Any suggestions for quality components to finish the gun (e.g., trigger, bolt, etc.) that won't break the bank?

I don't have any experience working on firearms, so I don't think this is a project I want to take on myself. How much do gunsmiths typically charge to assemble rifle?

So......is it possible to have a rifle built (not including the stock, optics, and barrel) for under $500? Any advice would be much appreciated.

What action and stock? Those two alone, if quality components will eat up $500.

I think $500 is a lot to ask for in a custom rifle. I had one done with a a Douglas XX barrel and it ran about $1,000 for all the work, which included some substantial barrel shaping.

Pac Nor and Krieger both have good reputations. So does Douglas.

Another option would be to cruise the pawn shops and used gun racks to find a rifle that only needs a little work. Even if the barrel is shot, you can use the action as the basis for a custom build. As a rule, used customs command a lower price than used factory original sporters.

For a scope - get a Leupold.

I'm counting on spending about $800 on the stock, barrel, and optics. The $500 would be the remaining balance for everything.

I really like my Nikon scope. I've never used or even looked through a Leupold though.

$500 for an action and the smithing to put it together is tight. Figure at least $350 for the action (used gun, get rid of the barrel if it's not what you want). Another $500 to put it all together, accurize, true and blueprint the gun. That seems low ball to me.

Or you could get a savage and have a damned ugly gun that shoots really well. :D

Remington 700 action?

Seriously, I'd go look at the pawn shops. Bozeman is a great place to pick up a slightly used gun this time of year.

I passed on a really nicely done custom 338 featherweight that was only $400. Be flexible in caliber, etc and you can find a nice rifle for a song.

$250 is about the going rate chamber, fit, cut, and crown a barrel. Some guys may be more, some less.

An action is going to be at least $300 and you may want to consider truing it ($250) but not necessary.

For the $800, stock, barrel and optics I'd go a used B&C Ti or Alaskan Ti (if you like BDL style) for about $150-175, any major barrel maker is going to be $300 (Krieger, Hart, Broughton, Rock Creek) leaving you about $325-350 for a scope which I'd try and swing a VX2 with CDS.

Overall, for $500 less stock, barrel and optics I think you are still about $250 short.

I'd find a used Rem 700 action for $350-400 (don't be afraid of the ADL!)

Then I'd have E.R. Shaw put a barrel on it (they will chamber, contour, and screw it in).

Then I'd put a B&C Alaskan stock.

You'd have a pretty kick-ass rig for under 1K.

You don't need to have it "blueprinted" or otherwise "gunsmithed-up" to kill game out to 400-500 yards. Just learn how to handload right. I have a .300 WBY built to the above specs and it will shoot 3/4" groups all day. In fact, everyone of my factory guns will shoot just as good with the right handloads.

Last edited:
I'd look for a lightly used rifle, drop it in a new stock and bed it up then go from there... a guy can waste a substantial amount of cash on a rifle and have very little to show for it... and you'll never get your money back out of it if you want to sell it. IF it shoots like chit, send it off and get a new tube.

Better yet, look around on the net and you can find exactly what you want to build for less than you can build it yourself. Tis the season to shop for a new rifle, between now and about mid March.. guys are looking to unload for Christmas cash, pay taxes, and CC bills from Christmas. Rifles can be had for about 20-30% off, easily.

Savage?

$500 for an action and the smithing to put it together is tight. Figure at least $350 for the action (used gun, get rid of the barrel if it's not what you want). Another $500 to put it all together, accurize, true and blueprint the gun. That seems low ball to me.

Or you could get a savage and have a damned ugly gun that shoots really well. :D

My Long Range Savage in 300 win mag (cabelas exclusive) with VX-3 on top and hand loads drives tacks at 400yards.... Both for less than 1k. Just a thought.....

Why not pick up a good used 270 with the action you want. Put a quality scope on it and see how it shoots. If and when you want you can start upgrades as needed or as you have $$$. I recommend Lilja rifle barrels when it's time for that upgrade.

Another thing to consider is maybe going with a short action, maybe a 308 or 7mm-08. Would save some cost on powder, espcially over the long term. Put some turrets on the scope and use a rangefinder and you're more than fine to 400. Also consider building over time, great way to spread the money out and make it more "comfortable".

Use your Cabela's points and cash to get a Browning A-bolt Hunter, Leupold VXIII 4.5-14X40, Leupold rings and bases for $1,385 + tax. That set up will shoot better than you out to 500 yards.

Get an action and send it to Kevin Weaver. He will go over every option you can think of. I gave him a Remington 700 and let him do his magic

.300 Win Mag
26" Lilja barrel 1/11 twist
Action bench rest trued
Alaskan Ti stock (bedded & barrel free floated)
Trigger job

I bought all the components (about $1000 including the rifle) and his work ran me about $700

http://www.weaverrifles.com/

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back