“Custom” rifle build

For the money a $300 Rem 700 that is blueprinted and timed for $350 is just as good as a custom action and cheaper for his budget. He isn’t counting X’s at 1000 yards, there is no reason not to use a factory action.
Your $300 Remington isn't going to even have a jeweled bolt. Your going to have $650 to $800 with your thinking/process in an action and maybe as good as a custom action you can get starting out at $800, and probably have a better extractor. If you had a donor action then I would look at this, I have done it that way on several builds.

Then you have the resale value, a rifle built with a custom action will sell for more then a blueprinted and timed R700 action. You will be closer to re cooping cost, if you decide to sell.

Your $300 Remington isn't going to even have a jeweled bolt. Your going to have $650 to $800 with your thinking/process in an action and maybe as good as a custom action you can get starting out at $800, and probably have a better extractor. If you had a donor action then I would look at this, I have done it that way on several builds.

Then you have the resale value, a rifle built with a custom action will sell for more then a blueprinted and timed R700 action. You will be closer to re cooping cost, if you decide to sell.

None of that matters for what the OP is asking for. A Jeweled bolt won’t make the cartridge any faster and resale isn’t what he is asking for. Under 2k, a thumb hole stock, chambered in a fast cartridge, and 800 yard capabilities. No need for that extra 200 dollars when he is already working on a budget.

All of us would like our cake and eat it too with custom everything. That isn’t realistic in his budget or needs.

But that's the fun part. Frankly, I not sure hunting in NA requires anything more than a $500 .270Win off the shelf. But what's the fun in that?
But it doesn't require a super .30 built on a custom action either. Especially where budget is a concern. I know a guy that just bought a Christensen MPR .300 PRC. After glass about a 5K rig. Can't wait to shoot my crappy 700 side by side with him. mtmuley

But it doesn't require a super .30 built on a custom action either. Especially where budget is a concern. I know a guy that just bought a Christensen MPR .300 PRC. After glass about a 5K rig. Can't wait to shoot my crappy 700 side by side with him. mtmuley
We agree - you should only waste on your hobby what you can afford. If OP is struggling to find money to buy tags or ammo then for god's sake he needs to buy at $400 savage/ruger/howa and throw a diamondback scope on the thing and get to the range and practice. But that's not how I read the post. As for who wins a shoot out - I would always go with the expert with a cheap gun than a tenderfooot with a diamond encrusted thunderstick. I've seen a guy at the range use a ruger 10/22 .22lr with a bushnell rimfire scope and a sock filled with sand do better at 300yd targets than another guy with a full on seal-team whizzbang wannabe sniper rig worth $4-5k - that was painful to watch.

So I'll play recommendation game. If the op wants a fast big .30 (and he didn't say either way) on a budget, get the AWR in .300 RUM. Easy to load with readily available components and relatively inexpensuve as fast .30's go. Shoot it out, then he sill has a decent stock and action to build off of. If he wants the fastest, hottest if any cartridge of his choice, call Kirby Allen. Of course, that requires a whole different budget. mtmuley

Maybe look at some of the barreled actions out there. Buy a stock and trigger and do that work yourself. The custom shop barreled action market has gotten better and cheaper. Bergara, sekkins, Howa, all offer decent products. And like others have said Savage is one of the more DIY actions. I made a tack driver out of a savage for around 1200.00 a decade ago. Savage action, benchmark barrel in 7WSM, and a stockade stocks out of the mold rough stock i did the finishing on to save money. Stockade has nice thumbholes too. Its a .5 inch gun all day at 3400FPS. Another advantage of the savage with nut is when you burn out that throat from high speed bullets you just get it reamed and faced again a little deeper most times.

Last edited:
Reactions: FLS
None of that matters for what the OP is asking for. A Jeweled bolt won’t make the cartridge any faster and resale isn’t what he is asking for. Under 2k, a thumb hole stock, chambered in a fast cartridge, and 800 yard capabilities. No need for that extra 200 dollars when he is already working on a budget.

All of us would like our cake and eat it too with custom everything. That isn’t realistic in his budget or needs.

I would be pissed if I spent all this money and had a crappy bolt that didn't cycle smoothly. I bought my son one of these cheap R700 ADL's last year.

When I see custom build I don't think of using a factory action, I consider that a semi custom build, not trying to split hairs, just my view.

There are plenty of factory rifles that would do what the OP is looking for, buy a rifle sell the stock and get the one you want, still be under budget.

You can do a full blow custom if you acquire components overtime buying items on sale or in group buy's and stay under budget. It will just take longer, but most smiths are 6 months out on wait time anyways.

Personally for a $2,000 budget I'm not sure custom action work is really worth it. Metal work is going to eat up a big percentage of the budget, and IMO a $400-$500 stainless 700 donor action isn't that great of a value when a 7mag stainless Tikka is like $800 tops. I'm not against a custom or semi-custom by any means, but a well built stainless factory BA bedded in a custom stock that suits your tastes can be a pretty dang good value. And still be very 800 yd capable. If you want to mess around with 28/30 Nos or PRC the barrel nut option could work on a Rem/Savage/Tikka.

You can pick up a Rem 700 at Walmart for around $300. You can strip it down to the action and send it out to get it rebarreled with one of the fore mentioned barrel makers. $250 for truing the action, $350 for chambering, and $400 for a barrel. You can find a gun Smith to try different stocks out but a McMillan’s palm swell will probably fit you nice. For a good lightweight Stock your around $5-600. For a total of $1900. Options from there are a trigger upgrade, Cerakote, or paying to have the gunsmith bed it for around $200 each. I would do the bedding and Cerakote. Then have them adjust the factory trigger. Easy to upgrade that later if you want.

Your into a custom gun for $2300 that will do what your asking.
Can you really get a M700 for $300 at walmart???? Not that cheap

WOW the model 700. Wow you got your action then for 500 to 600 bucks

The .270 ADL my 300 Sherman is being built off from I got from Gander Outdoors for a out the door price of $227. I have $150 into truing it and another $75 for a threaded bolt handle and knob. It was their going out of business sale and nobody wanted a surface rusted 270. We are in a shotgun zone and there is little to no demand for a rifle. The one at Walmart is a 30/06 and it has been there over a year. They don’t do any maintenance on them in the case and the crappy finish surface rusts. Pretty sure they are required to carry them as a in stock item so they are priced to move. Next time I’m in there I will try and get a pick of the price tag.

WOW the model 700. Wow you got your action then for 500 to 600 bucks

I screwed up on the Walmart price. I had to go in for some dinner supplies tonight. I had been lookat the 770 model which was reduced down to $254. The 700 was $379, my apologies.

The one I got at Gander’s was a 700.
DF5E4BD2-D3C3-4158-B4D1-3CEC2B0EDC78.jpeg

Back