Yeti GOBOX Collection

Custer Bison Draw

nontyp

Can someone clarify how this draw works?

I’m assuming they are including preference point only applicants in the “number of applicants” column, but that isn’t very clear on the website.
CF59A963-AD2D-4ACC-B4A1-8650CE38B89A.jpeg5A65C09A-4031-4164-945A-F3779CCBBDA3.jpeg

I believe it goes number of points on the left, number of applicants with that amount of points in the middle, successful applicants on the left

I’m assuming they are including preference point only applicants in the “number of applicants” column, but that isn’t very clear on the website.
I don’t think that’s the case. Those are people that applied for the tags. I’ve found where you can see how many people bought pref points before. It wasn’t for these specific hunts though. And SD website is a bitch to find that info, I found it more by accident than anything.

Have you read the requirements for the tag though?

I don’t think that’s the case. Those are people that applied for the tags. I’ve found where you can see how many people bought pref points before. It wasn’t for these specific hunts though. And SD website is a bitch to find that info, I found it more by accident than anything.

Have you read the requirements for the tag though?
It appears that it is acting like a true preference draw though, so that is why I am assuming that. no nonresident under 5 points drew.

I haven’t read them recently. Id view it as more of a meat harvest/adventure than a hunt.

Reactions: ZBB
It appears that it is acting like a true preference draw though, so that is why I am assuming that. no nonresident under 5 points drew.

I haven’t read them recently. Id view it as more of a meat harvest/adventure than a hunt.
Oh my bad, no it’s not a true preference. Blackbeard was right the number of points on the left number of applicants center and successful applicants right. I’m not sure if they cube those points or not. They’re called preference points but they run like a bonus point.

Last edited:
They cube the points in SD. Every year that system matures it will behave more like a true preference system.

If you’re starting out now with the expectation of reasonable odds eventually, you will be disappointed.

Last edited:
They cube the points in SD. Every year that system matures it will behave more like a true preference system.

If you’re starting out now with the expectation of reasonable odds eventually, you will be disappointed.
Thanks. I actually do have 6 points for both bison draws. Ive just been building points thus far. I’m thinking about actually applying this year.

If you draw and get one could you let me know how the hunt is. My FIL should be able to draw next year.
I have been avoiding the hunt for years, for no other reason than it is freaking expensive :(

It is a dream hunt for me, so I just keep on picking up point for when I can justify spending $10k+ on an in state hunt 🤮

Pretty sure the hunt is super easy though. GFP figures you'll only need three days with them guiding you to a big bull. Seems like a sure thing so long as you can hit a bull at 100 yards...

I have been avoiding the hunt for years, for no other reason than it is freaking expensive :(

It is a dream hunt for me, so I just keep on picking up point for when I can justify spending $10k+ on an in state hunt 🤮

Pretty sure the hunt is super easy though. GFP figures you'll only need three days with them guiding you to a big bull. Seems like a sure thing so long as you can hit a bull at 100 yards...
The information that i got from a previous tag holder indicated the "hunt" lasts about an hour.

I started buying points a few years before the fee increased to $6500. I think I'll have to let them go. That's a little too rich for my blood. I'm ballin' on a budget!

What are the current fees? I cannot find any good details on hunt dates, fees, etc. I know I have found these details in years past. If I remember right the Non trophy bison is like $3300.

What are the current fees? I cannot find any good details on hunt dates, fees, etc. I know I have found these details in years past. If I remember right the Non trophy bison is like $3300.
Something like $3500 for non trophy, $6500 for trophy.

Dates are picked by you and the Park staff. but I think happens over the winter

Its a brutal price to swallow. And for me it gets worse, cause I'm not going to shoot a bison and not get the pelt made into a throw.... And if its a trophy bison, can you really not get a shoulder mount? Would european be sufficient for such an awesome animal.

So you start adding it all up and you get to $10k in a hurry, assuming you process the meat yourself and not with a butcher...

The information that i got from a previous tag holder indicated the "hunt" lasts about an hour.
I've heard the same thing from two people that did the hunt. You get assigned a single day where a park ranger is your personal guide where he takes you out on truck to where he knows the bison are hanging out and within 1-2 hours, you stalk with him to the bison that don't give two shits you are "stalking" up on them and he tells you exactly which one he wants you to shoot. Afterwards, both were able to load up the bison, whole, into the truck through a lift/winch.

For me its just about the idea of being able to experience harvesting a bison and its likely my best chance at it. Both my wife and I are sitting at 2 less from max points and soon here we are hopefully going to draw the tag and get to experience it. If nothing more, its honestly not that more expensive than buying a whole cow for the freezer only the meat is much better!

Trophy bison-$6506

Season Dates​

Hunters have a maximum of three consecutive days to hunt. Hunts are scheduled Monday through Friday excluding holidays. 3 days as scheduled beginning Nov. 21 to Dec. 30, 2022 excluding holidays and weekends. Hunts are scheduled with Custer State Park staff after the drawing, based on draw order. South Dakota Administrative Rule requires the hunter to be accompanied by a park representative during this three-day hunt. Your park representative will provide transportation in the field and locate this class animal for your selection. Field handling and transportation back to the buffalo corrals is included in your hunt. The carcass will be transferred to your vehicle.

South Dakota Administrative Rule requires the hunter to be guided during this three-day hunt. The park provides a guide, field transportation for the hunt, and field handling of the animal. The guide indicates which bulls are eligible, and approve the location that they may be shot. The area within the boundary of Custer State Park as designated by park staff is the hunting unit.

Non trophy bison- $3256

Season Dates​

Half-day as scheduled beginning October 26 - November 18, 2022 excluding holidays and weekends. Hunts are scheduled after the lottery drawing with Custer State Park staff based on draw order. South Dakota Administrative Rule requires the hunter to be accompanied by a park representative during this hunt. Your park representative will locate this class animal for your selection. Field handling and transportation back to the buffalo corrals is included in your hunt. The carcass will be transferred to your vehicle.

How those critters are eligible for B&C is beyond me. They’re pretty well contained to the park. Custer State park is a cool place, but I’ve always kind of thought of it more as a huge bear country than anything. I am curious if that money goes to the park or to game and fish. 6500 probably stocks a shitload of pheasants.

Edit: Bear country is a zoo like deal outside of rapid for those that don’t know.

Thinking about putting in for the non-trophy this year. I have seven points for both. Figured I’d get everything figured out on the non-trophy hunt before spending up. I get it’s not much of a hunt but a euro and a hide would be pretty slick. Not to mention the meat. Reason I haven’t put in yet is my kids are 8 and 10 and I was kind of thinking about waiting until their appetites get a little bigger.

Thinking about putting in for the non-trophy this year. I have seven points for both. Figured I’d get everything figured out on the non-trophy hunt before spending up. I get it’s not much of a hunt but a euro and a hide would be pretty slick. Not to mention the meat. Reason I haven’t put in yet is my kids are 8 and 10 and I was kind of thinking about waiting until their appetites get a little bigger.
If I were you, I would wait a few more years before you put in. ;) ;);)

Does anyone know how to find a breakout of applicants at each point level? (Not simply those that applied but a summary that includes the point buyers.)

Last edited:
It's not much of a hunt.

They just keep increasing the tag price so that it keeps up with what they are selling those same bison for st the annual roundup/auction.

Back