Caribou Gear

Credit card for applications

My comment was in response to " By the way a credit score is not needed to acquire a mortgage," rather than about a credit card. I 100% agree you don't need to have a credit card to purchase a home, but you don't need a credit card to have a good credit score either. I didn't get my first credit card till I was 2 years out of college and at that point I had a 750 credit score because I had been making consistent payments on my student loans, paid off my car, etc. etc. My point was if you have a credit score of 0, i.e. had never interacted with any finical institution ever, then it's much harder though not impossible to buy a house.

Rural Development Loans, per the USDA website, require a credit score. "To qualify, an applicant must meet the program’s income, credit, repayment, and other eligibility requirements." Also the program only applies to individuals looking to purchase a home in areas with a pop under 35k.

My point, is that hunting is fun and you can design a strategy using credit cards, savings accounts, ect. so that you can participate in the draws without having a huge effect on the rest of your finances. Also it's way easier to justify your hunting applications to your spouse if you accrue travel points from your apps and use those points to take your spouse on trips they want to go on.

Gotcha, I misread the conversation.

If you have no impulse control, honestly I don’t understand why any rational adult can’t handle a credit card... just pay it off in full at the end of the month. Good luck with your credit score with out using credit cards.

It’s not an 850, but I have a 787 and have never had a credit card.

Having said that I clicked on this thread because I’ve been considering getting a credit card. I’m self employed and drive a lot and the the idea that I’m just skipping out on flying miles or cash back rewards just because I don’t like the idea of a credit card might be a bad call.

Last edited:
If you have no impulse control, honestly I don’t understand why any rational adult can’t handle a credit card... just pay it off in full at the end of the month. Good luck with your credit score with out using credit cards.

Exactly, I did this for 10+ years. Went to get a loan for a boat and couldn’t get it cause my credit score was too low. Cause I paid everything in cash! I changed that real quick. Now I have that awesome boat and a newer truck. Lol
Matt

This year will be my first time applying for western hunts, so I’m not very knowledgeable about the whole thing. However, I plan to charge it to my card then pay the license balance out of my savings and the app fee and stamp from checking. Once the refund comes I’ll deposit it straight back to my savings. This way I’m not hitting my paychecks with hunting license expenses.

I’m only applying for Wyoming antelope this year, as it’s the first western hunt I have planned (2020 hopefully). This summer I’ll also purchase a preference point in Wyoming for antelope (increase my odds for a decent unit in 2020) and pref points for MT deer and elk, which id like to get out and hunt in the future. Hopefully this strategy makes sense!

I friggin love how you can’t go anywhere without hearing people say Dave Ramsey!! Seriously people!!! No really make fun of what I just said and then make your student loan payments that you’ve had for 20 years, your two car payments, your three credit card payments and then wonder why you can’t see retiring until 70...rant over. Viva la common sense!!

I like the Citi Double Dividend card. It has no annual fee and you get 2% cash back on everything. For folks new to the credit card game I usually suggest this one cause 2% on everything is pretty good and you don’t have to mess with revolving categories, multiple cards, etc.

Personally my wife and I run about 5 or 6 different cards and purchase everything with them (unless they charge a credit card fee north of 2%). We pay them off every month. I think we effectively get just north of 3% on everything we buy. It’s not for every one, but we save a ton of money with credit cards.

For those around here that spend a lot on gas and on sporting goods, I believe Ducks Unlimited has a card that gives you 5% back on gas and sporting goods stores. Plus I think they make a little donation to conservation - something we can all appreciate. This will likely be the 6th or 7th card my wife and I use. So long Cabela’s card . . .

Last edited:
I have 1 credit card that I use for all of my everyday purchases, and hunting applications instead of cash or debit card. Then pay it off every month. I get at least 1.5% back on all my purchases. I’ve gotten hundreds of free dollars in rewards cash back and have never paid a dime of interest. Oh all that reward money, goes to my hunting fund!

I keep my hunting stuff seperate from the family stuff. I use an Alaska Airlines VISA for all my applications and any hunting purchases that come up. Eventually I end up with a ticket.

I like the Citi Double Dividend card. It has no annual fee and you get 2% cash back on everything. For folks new to the credit card game I usually suggest this one cause 2% on everything is pretty good and you don’t have to mess with revolving categories, multiple cards, etc.

Personally my wife and I run about 5 or 6 different cards and purchase everything with them (unless they charge a credit card fee north of 2%). We pay them off every month. I think we effectively get just north of 3% on everything we buy. It’s not for every one, but we save a ton of money with credit cards.

For those around here that spend a lot on gas and on sporting goods, I believe Ducks Unlimited has a card that gives you 5% back on gas and sporting goods stores. Plus I think they make a little donation to conservation - something we can all appreciate. This will likely be the 6th or 7th card my wife and I use. So long Cabela’s card . . .

Let us know how that DU card is... I've had eyes on that one

I use my Discover IT card as well as my Cabelas card for some places like AZ that does not accept Discover. Most of the refunds will be posted on the next statement at least so you should receive the cashback rewards still even if you get a refund.

I am 22 and grew up thinking credit cards are bad, but my cards have been great. I use them responsibly and pay off the balance at the end of every month. Both of my cards have an app that you can use and set up automatic payments to pay the minimum fee.

I don't have a credit card. I just use my check card. If you don't draw it either doesn't get charged or gets refunded.

Ummm, there are a lot of other ways to get credit other than a credit card. But anyway... for me it's straight cash homie.

Ummm, there are a lot of other ways to get credit other than a credit card. But anyway... for me it's straight cash homie.

Comment #21

Credit Cards are one of the easiest ways to quickly build a credit score, and if used responsibly can provide lots of benefits.

There is no effective difference between a credit card and cash if you payoff your credit card in full each month before the end of the billing cycle, your credit card bill is $0 and your utilization is 0%.

We use AMEX Delta Sky Miles card for everything we can and pay it off every month. The yearly fee is more than made up by miles, companion fares, upgrades and other perks.

We use AMEX Delta Sky Miles card for everything we can and pay it off every month. The yearly fee is more than made up by miles, companion fares, upgrades and other perks.
Same situation here. Well worth all the free flights.
And it covers insurance on rental cars and much more.

There is no effective difference between a credit card and cash if you payoff your credit card in full each month before the end of the billing cycle, your credit card bill is $0 and your utilization is 0%.

But I thought there are some studies out there that say all else equal, you’ll spend more (something like 10% more) with a card in your hand than you will cash. I think it was attributed to voodoo magic or something like that.

Back