PEAX Equipment

Credit card for applications

fattybinz

Was wondering if those that apply in multiple states have a dedicated card, or at least a specific card, that they use to for their applications. I just put in for the Wyoming draw for the first time. 99% odds I'd get a refund on my pronghorn tag fee so I paid the application and stamp portion and left the license fee portion (the majority) on the card, anticipating a refund. Well I was hit with a $25 late payment fee today. My mistake for overlooking that the pronghorn draw wouldn't happen for a while. Is there a specific card that you guys use that has terms that make it the best for use with hunt applications (and no yearly fee)?

Last edited:
I use my regular card and pay off the balance every two weeks with a reminder. I am not trying to finesse the financial float and use the card for travel so like having most or all of the card's limit available. Are times there is about $15 to $20K of credit balance when NM/ID/MT/WY awards me the unsuccessful trophy. That credit works off in a few weeks.

a bunch of cards have no annual fee...kind of a pick your poison. FWIW a bunch of places, particularly in small towns in the West, don't take Amex so it may not be a bad idea to have a Visa in your wallet.

I have a totally separate card from NFCU that only gets used for draws. No fee, $25/mth payment, VISA. I pay a few bucks each year in interest as I await results, but its just the cost of doing business. The rest of the time, there isn't anything on that card.

Anyone else here follow Dave Ramsey? Credit Card is a bad word in my house. Pay real money. no credit. no late fees.
If you have no impulse control, honestly I don’t understand why any rational adult can’t handle a credit card... just pay it off in full at the end of the month. Good luck with your credit score with out using credit cards.

There is no way I’m paying interest on a credit card to cover tags. I got a decent tax refund when I was 26, I put that money into a high APY checking account and use it exclusively for tags. I put the tag on a CC with travel rewards, immediately pay it off from the checking, and then put the refund back in the savings account.

If it’s a state that charges back my card, I use the card that month for groceries, gas, insurance payment whatever, and then dump my next paycheck into the hunting account.

The hunting license game is a great way to earn cc rewards.

If you have no impulse control, honestly I don’t understand why any rational adult can’t handle a credit card... just pay it off in full at the end of the month. Good luck with your credit score with out using credit cards.

I know a guy that retired at 42 years old, paid every thing with cash, no mortgage, no car payments, still makes money here and there on cash real estate deals every year and was dumbfounded when he couldn't qualify for an AMEX, i was dying laughing, he didn't think it was funny.

It’s just more of a way of life/principle thing for me. I don’t borrow money other than a short term fixed mortgage. Makes life pretty simple. Keep in mind the only thing a credit score is good for is borrowing more money. sorry didn’t mean to hi jack the thread.

I run a trucking business, which means a ton of fuel, ect... i have my employees run the cards that have the best perks. Discover is great! Cash back rewards are awesome!...and i like to use my Scheels Visa also. My wife always shakes her head when we get the $50 gift cards in the mail after reaching so many points/dollars spent. I just cashed some gift cards in on a new pair of swaro EL’s, crispi boots, and some nick-nacks. Points add up fast and you cant beat buying gear.

And i always write “AZ” on the card i use in the draw for Arizona so i know which account to log into.

A great credit card for the military member is a Barclay card, if you call and prove you are military you will have 0% APR credit card from them.

It’s just more of a way of life/principle thing for me. I don’t borrow money other than a short term fixed mortgage. Makes life pretty simple. Keep in mind the only thing a credit score is good for is borrowing more money. sorry didn’t mean to hi jack the thread.

100% behind being finically disciplined, my point is you can live within your means and still reap the benefits of a credit card. I redeemed over a 1k in free travel last year just because I put everything on a card before I pay it off, you got to work the system... it’s literally designed to work you.

Also how does one buy a house or car without borrowing money?

100% behind being finically disciplined, my point is you can live within your means and still reap the benefits of a credit card. I redeemed over a 1k in free travel last year just because I put everything on a card before I pay it off, you got to work the system... it’s literally designed to work you.

Also how does one buy a house or car without borrowing money?
I don’t doubt that it could be done responsibly. Most people don’t, but it can definitely be done. There is research that shows when people use a credit card they spend ~15-20% more. I think because in the back of their mind they are thinking about all the points they are earning. To answer your questions, a short term fixed rate mortgage is the exception. By the way a credit score is not needed to aquire a mortgage. As for cars we save up and pay cash for them.

I don’t doubt that it could be done responsibly. Most people don’t, but it can definitely be done. There is research that shows when people use a credit card they spend ~15-20% more. I think because in the back of their mind they are thinking about all the points they are earning. To answer your questions, a short term fixed rate mortgage is the exception. By the way a credit score is not needed to aquire a mortgage. As for cars we save up and pay cash for them.

Sure you can get a mortgage if you jump through a ton of hoops, have a huge downpayment, and find a lender that does manual underwriting. This method is very difficult in a highly competitor housing market like Denver.

I think we see eye to eye on being finically conservative, but just have slightly different views/tactics, which is totally fine.

Last edited:
Sure you can get a mortgage if you jump through a ton of hoops, have a huge downpayment, and find a lender that does manual underwriting. This method is very difficult in a highly competitor housing market like Denver.

I think we see eye to eye on being finically conservative, but just have slightly different views/tactics, which is totally fine.

For what it's worth, I was able to get a standard rural development loan for our house before I ever opened a credit card. I really don't remember there being any hiccups or jumping through any hoops.

On a big cost tag ($1k+) I just wait until a few days before the app deadline. Most often it's refunded before the billing cycle is complete, not always though.

Was wondering if those that apply in multiple states have a dedicated card, or at least a specific card, that they use to for their applications. I just put in for the Wyoming draw for the first time. 99% odds I'd get a refund on my pronghorn tag fee so I paid the application and stamp portion and left the license fee portion (the majority) on the card, anticipating a refund. Well I was hit with a $25 late payment fee today. My mistake for overlooking that the pronghorn draw wouldn't happen for a while. Is there a specific card that you guys use that has terms that make it the best for use with hunt applications (and no yearly fee)?

pay your bill in full every. onth works perfectly. no worries about tracking when a credit back will or will not hit..

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YakCountry
Back