Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Crazy Mountains Elk

kad1429

Im planning on hunting the north end and north east end of the crazys HD N580 this year for archery season. I live in Billings so Im planning on doing alot of scouting the next 2 months. I was just wondering if anybody has any advice or experience in that area.

North facing drainage's, deep and dark.

Elk are pretty call shy up there. They get a lot of pressure from everyone and their kids honking on calls from sunup to sundown, the entire season.

They ARE NOT call shy where I went.I was 2 miles back and was in elk everyday.Big bulls in there too.I did see a handful of other guys but most were within a mile of the road.If you want to help me get my son a good spot for mule deer,I'll give you a GREAT spot in the Crazies for archery.Actually, I have to see if they still have leftover deer tags first

I have a spot here close to billings on my cousins place alot of muleys not 200" deer but a few bucks but alot of deer PM me

The areas I have hunted in the north end of the crazies hold elk without a doubt. That being said, most of the elk I have seen during archery season are in pretty serious country. Either thick, dark nasty timber or way up high in the steep crag rock. The spot I have been hunting is a ways back and although there were rigs in the parking lot, we had little competition where we were finding elk.I agree with mixedbag on the size class of the bulls we have found during archery season, much bigger than expected. Its beautiful country and the elk numbers are there, but be prepared to work hard for them. Also a problem I was having was having was finding a close enough viable water supply to utilize from camp. It was a 3 mile hike and 1200 ft descent to the closest water supply (meaning of course you had to hike back up to camp). That will wear you out after a few days. Good luck with your scouting!

I found everything dwhite said to be true when I hunted there.Water was tough for me also.Made special trips down the mountain every few days just for water.The area I hunted is perfect for a bowhunter;very thick.When you saw elk they were almost always within range.It is pretty steep country to combined with blow downs and dark thick timber.You should make sure to be in top shape to get the most out of this area.I sent you a pm with my suggestions

I hope to gain more experience in there this year. I will be beating around in that area the first week of rifle season chasing elk/deer. I have made one trip two years ago to the area just for a day or two it is some steep/dark country as stated before saw several whiteys in the area a few nice ones matter of fact. I look forward to checking it out better this year. Let us know how it goes on the scouting trips this summer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back