CPW orders emergency fish salvage at South Catamount Reservoir on Pikes Peak

Trout will bite on Velveeta?
Oh, certainly. I recall mashing crustless white bread and velvet together, putting on a very small treble hook, dangling this tasty ball of goodness in the cold stream water until got firm and then gently casting out with an open face real using 4 pound test. Now, these were hatchery fish released into the stream the night before but you could keep 5 trout so I would limit out just after sunrise then go back to nap in the tent. No shame, no regrets.

Would cook over the campfire for lunch and dinner for two, sometimes three, days in a row. So good with a hint of smoke and fresh, clean air swirling around as ate. Often placed some sliced potatoes, carrots and onion in a tinfoil wrap sealed up with some water, salt and pepper to make a fancy side dish stream-side using coals from the campfire. Living seemed inexpensive on those trips and I recall thinking about all the poor bastards working way up in some high-rise building surround by smog and asphalt with not a chance in heck they would be fishing that day.

Dang, I need to go fix up a cheese-like slab of processed Velveeta placed between two white bread slices with some mayo and iceberg lettuce. Fish on!

A number of baits can be really effective on the large trout that have seen every fly and lure. My weirdest was a big rainbow on chicken liver while catfishing.

A number of baits can be really effective on the large trout that have seen every fly and lure. My weirdest was a big rainbow on chicken liver while catfishing.
Good ole boys in the hollers back home will tell you the best bait for rainbows in DBNF is a can of Green Giant corn. Must look vaguely like a salmon egg or a food pellet to a hungry hatchery-raised trout.

Oh, certainly. I recall mashing crustless white bread and velvet together, putting on a very small treble hook, dangling this tasty ball of goodness in the cold stream water until got firm and then gently casting out with an open face real using 4 pound test. Now, these were hatchery fish released into the stream the night before but you could keep 5 trout so I would limit out just after sunrise then go back to nap in the tent. No shame, no regrets.

Would cook over the campfire for lunch and dinner for two, sometimes three, days in a row. So good with a hint of smoke and fresh, clean air swirling around as ate. Often placed some sliced potatoes, carrots and onion in a tinfoil wrap sealed up with some water, salt and pepper to make a fancy side dish stream-side using coals from the campfire. Living seemed inexpensive on those trips and I recall thinking about all the poor bastards working way up in some high-rise building surround by smog and asphalt with not a chance in heck they would be fishing that day.

Dang, I need to go fix up a cheese-like slab of processed Velveeta placed between two white bread slices with some mayo and iceberg lettuce. Fish on!
Sounds like Montauk. I don’t exactly miss the place and all of the giant campers and loud generators.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back